B/King Avi8tor Ace

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
Anyone own one of these? just wanted to see what others thought of the unit. Pros/cons? I use a g496 at work and have to say that the thing is pretty much not worked out at all...(sick of getting cords caught in the yoke unreliable signal etc.).. and am hoping for better luck out of something like this.
Thanks!
-Clay

Last edited:
Looks pretty spiffy.... if you get it let us know how it goes!

Do you have room to panel mount the 496? Overall they do work well. I've used a 396 quite a bit with no issues.

No room in the panel of the Bo to panel mount....
maybe its just a lemon
seems like the GPS signal in the 496 Im using is only reliable like 60% of the time... and where the power cord connects to the unit..the wires have broken through the insulation twice (replaced)... ...but if I get to replace it I really am after something with an internal antenna and something thats more chart case friendly.

Last edited:
maybe its just a lemon
seems like the GPS signal in the 496 Im using is only reliable like 60% of the time... and where the power cord connects to the unit..the wires have broken through the insulation twice (replaced)... ...but if I get to replace it I really am after something with an internal antenna and something thats more chart case friendly.

I certainly agree that the cord connection setup on the 396/496 is boneheaded, but if you're experiencing poor signal-retention, there's something wrong. My experience with these is that, even using just the attached antenna, I almost never lose signal, and that's with the GPS moving around, on the floor, wherever.

maybe its just a lemon
Understand. The power cable on the 396/496 does suck and tends to fail. Garmin is good about sending you another for free with a phone call.

I've never had signal issues, ever (gps or weather).

I've used a 296 and 396 quite a lot, and never had any trouble of any kind. I don't use the "tilt up" antenna, though, I always use the remote antenna and spit-stick-suction-cup it to the windshield as far forward as I can get it. The only times I've ever had signal reception issues is when I'm still in the hangar, and that's usually too early to be lost.
-harry

Back