B&C starters

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
My first time installing one, looks like a much better built unit than the skytec.

Had one on my Cub. B&C alternator as well. Not the cheapest but very good stuff. Got another alternator and regulator field approved on the Cessna. Small, light, reliable. Nothing the OEM unit offered!

Last edited:
Had one on my Cub. B&C alternator as well. Very good stuff. Got another alternator and regulator field approved on the Cessna. Small, light, reliable. Nothing the OEM unit offered!

The old starter was a old pull start, that was adjusted wrong, where the electric motor would start turning prior to the gear being fully engaged with the crank gear. The results? gear failed, then students would keep trying to start until they got it done. Debris contaminated the oil system, and scored the crank.

Will show pictures when they down load.

The old starter was a old pull start, that was adjusted wrong, where the electric motor would start turning prior to the gear being fully engaged with the crank gear. The results? gear failed, then students would keep trying to start until they got it done. Debris contaminated the oil system, and scored the crank.
Does the B&C require cutting the pilot shaft that the old starter slid onto? I'd like to replace my pull-start system, but am leary about cutting away that shaft.

Ron Wanttaja

Does the B&C require cutting the pilot shaft that the old starter slid onto? I'd like to replace my pull-start system, but am leary about cutting away that shaft.

Ron Wanttaja
Yes the guide/support pin must be cut.

It's pretty easy. I pack the accessory case with greasy rags, and cut it off with a dremil cut off wheel. carefully pull the rags and wash the accessory case with solvent, with the drain plug out, until it runs clean.

This one was in my hand and got cut on the lathe. welded closed and faced off clean.

Back