B-60 crash near Destin

Dang just left there this morning around 9:30-10 am. Coming across Mid Bay bridge saw black smoke coming from what appeared to be the eastern Eglin restricted area, but could have the western restricted areas also I guess. Thought it was just another bomb drop from Eglin onto the range. Bet that was the plane. It began to lighten up as we neared Niceville. Drove up 85 to CEW and didn't see any activity. Probably happened right before we drove through that area. There were rain showers coming onto land from the Gulf, last I looked from the condo it looked pretty ominous a mile or so off the beach. Sad someone died. RIP.

Last edited:
Dang just left there this morning around 9:30-10 am. Coming across Mid Bay bridge saw black smoke coming from what appeared to be the eastern Eglin restricted area, but could have the western restricted areas also I guess. Thought it was just another bomb drop from Eglin onto the range. Bet that was the plane. It began to lighten up as we neared Niceville. Drove up 85 to CEW and didn't see any activity. Probably happened right before we drove through that area. There were rain showers coming onto land from the Gulf, last I looked from the condo it looked pretty ominous a mile or so off the beach. Sad someone died. RIP.
We are headed down tomorrow for the holiday weekend

We are headed down tomorrow for the holiday weekend

Great weather all week, and beaches not crowded at all. But bit of a wait at restaurants in the evening though.

Wow beautiful airplane...wonder what happened

Wow beautiful airplane...wonder what happened

As often is the case, there seemed to be some weather nearby at the time of the accident. There is mention of a possible divert prior to the accident. The plane was also airborne for a good while, then no fire on site?

Great weather all week, and beaches not crowded at all. But bit of a wait at restaurants in the evening though.

My favorite time to hit DTS is the week after the week of labor day. Still plenty warm, smaller crowds, walk into any restaurant you like with no wait...

We are in Pensacola at Fort Pickens right now. The beaches are pretty much deserted compared to June/July. Last night we went out to eat at Mcguires Irish pub and normally have an hour wait. Last night we walked in and got sat immediately! My new favorite time of the year is now down here. However sitting in the camper now and it's wet out and more rain on the way. Oh well.

Over 700 mile trip for a plane that has 800 mile range? (According to Wikipedia)

Over 700 mile trip for a plane that has 800 mile range? (According to Wikipedia)

The linked FlightAware says "Actual dustance 803 mi/Direct 788 mi" and the flight path is a very straight line except for the approach flown into Destin . . . No idea of the plane's range, fuel capacity, burn rate, etc.

We are just east of there along 30A; pretty deserted but it will get busy today. Sad news. Storms at noon over there were substantial. We had winds change three times while at the beach.

We are in Pensacola at Fort Pickens right now. The beaches are pretty much deserted compared to June/July. Last night we went out to eat at Mcguires Irish pub and normally have an hour wait. Last night we walked in and got sat immediately! My new favorite time of the year is now down here. However sitting in the camper now and it's wet out and more rain on the way. Oh well.
My wife showed me the upstairs bar at Mcguires in Destin, sit at the bar with a nice breeze off the gulf and no wait, the wait downstairs was over an hour! And sitting at the bar you always get great service!

We often criticize the quality of media reports of Aviation stories in the conventional media... I need to add a hearty WTF? on this report.

LOOK at the photos here. Not one showing the accident airplane, or any airplane for that matter. Just a bunch of Emergency Service folks, most looking away from the camera, with fire trucks in the background, and a few with the fire trucks in the foreground and the peeps in the background.

One of empty sky...

Zero to enhance the story!

I can hear the conversation now:

Editor: got any photos for this story?
Newsman/woman: yes but they don’t show much.
Editor: doesn’t matter, run ‘em. We gotta fill the space!

*Sigh*

-Skip

We often criticize the quality of media reports of Aviation stories in the conventional media... I need to add a hearty WTF? on this report.

LOOK at the photos here. Not one showing the accident airplane, or any airplane for that matter. Just a bunch of Emergency Service folks, most looking away from the camera, with fire trucks in the background, and a few with the fire trucks in the foreground and the peeps in the background.

One of empty sky...

Zero to enhance the story!

I can hear the conversation now:

Editor: got any photos for this story?
Newsman/woman: yes but they don’t show much.
Editor: doesn’t matter, run ‘em. We gotta fill the space!

*Sigh*

-Skip

To be fair, I believe the crash occurred inside one of the Restricted Areas on Eglin. I would think Air Force officials are not going to allow free access to those areas. Air Force handles these events differently than your local authorities do.

Last edited:

The linked FlightAware says "Actual dustance 803 mi/Direct 788 mi" and the flight path is a very straight line except for the approach flown into Destin . . . No idea of the plane's range, fuel capacity, burn rate, etc.

As we were driving north across Mid Bay bridge we saw a black plume of smoke that slowly became grayer, typical of fuel burning. If that was the accident airplane, but most likely it was.

To be fair, I believe the crash occurred inside one of the Restricted Areas on Eglin. I would think Air Force officials are not going to allow free access to those areas. Air Force handles these events differently than your local authorities do.

That’s not the point! Those photos added zip point nothin’ to the story! Why publish them?

-Skip

Dukes have always seemed an ugly plane to me, with performance to match. Of course I hope nobody got hurt with this accident but one less Duke in the world is no loss to humanity.

The pilot was highly rated commercial and instrument and cfi. Lived a few miles north of me. Didn't know him personally but a pilot is lost.... Just got his medical. Sucks for sure!

Dukes have always seemed an ugly plane to me, with performance to match. Of course I hope nobody got hurt with this accident but one less Duke in the world is no loss to humanity.
Philistine!!

20852705470_8e15eb950c_b.jpg

The opposite of ugly to me! 220 kts from a pressurized twin that you can buy today for about $150k ain't bad. I really wanted one of those back in the day.

Back