B-17

I've not flown on one, but I have walked through several of them. VERY enlightening. Those men were BRAVE and must have suffered quite a bit from the cold and noise.

I rode in the EAA's Ford Tri-motor at Oshkosh, and it was very loud, so I can only imagine how loud it must have been on a B-17. Unfortunately, the rides are too expensive for my budget.

A few years ago I got a ride in the "909", a B-17 operated by the Collings Foundation. They also have a B-24 Liberator. I got a few minutes of "stick time" in the right seat, and couldn't get the smile off my face for a week! :yes: I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Next time, I'd be sure to bring my ANR headset and some earplugs though. It was really loud.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife gave me the ride in the Collings Foundation's '909' when it was in North Las Vegas two years ago. What a thrilling experience!

Phil Kriley said:
I've not flown on one, but I have walked through several of them. VERY enlightening. Those men were BRAVE and must have suffered quite a bit from the cold and noise.
The movie "Memphis Belle" seemed to capture what those guys went through. Absolutely amazing. Staying in formation, watching your neighbor's plane fall apart when hit, then fall into one or two of your buddies on the way down. Brave doesn't even begin to describe what those guys did.

My wife's dad was a B-17 navigator in WWII flying missions out of England. He heard that there was going to be a B-17 coming to VAY (this must have been 10 years ago or so), and we went to go see it with him (possibly the same ship, I don't know).

He had some interesting things to say. He didn't remember the airplane's cabin being as small as it was. He also pointed out that there is no bathroom and that they would open the bomb bay doors when they had to go. He said that he had no intention of ever flying in one again.

His brother was also a navigator but in a B-24 (?) I think. When they had a couple of beers, they could sway stories for hours on end...

My wife has her dad's E6B which is pretty much indistinguishable from a modern one.

I'm a new member to this list so will start by saying Hi all. Currently live in Glendale Az and fly out of KGEU. I was on the ground crew of Semential Journey last year while she was at Deer Valley and was able to get a ride from there to Palm Springs. What a ride! It really gave me a greater appreciation for the guys who rode them in WWII. Heard a lot of stories from the ones that came out to look at her while she was in town. We owe them our sincere thanks for what they did to give us our freedom now.
astills

Let me correct myself...........I flew on Aluminum Overcast, not Sentimental
Journey
astills

Speaking of WWII aircraft, look at this ASRS report from July 1990 at McMinnville, OR. The company (not named) is well known as a contract air transport provider to various US govt groups such as the CIA. The "boss" mentioned is either the owner or his son.

SYNOPSIS

HOT ROCK CAPT TRAINEE ON WWII BOMBER MAKES A DRAMATIC, NON STANDARD DEP AFTER TKOF AT A NON TWR ARPT UNICOM TO IMPRESS HIS EMPLOYEES ON THE GND. PIC INSTRUCTOR GIVES A CHAGRINED REPORT OF EVENT.
NARRATIVE

I WAS GIVING DUAL TO MY BOSS IN A WWII BOMBER AFTER A 7 YR REBUILD OF THE ACFT. WE HAD JUST FLOWN IT UP FROM AZ TO SHOW TO ALL COMPANY PERSONNEL. WHEN LEAVING I ASKED THE PF IF HE WAS GOING TO MAKE A FLY-BY FOR PHOTOS. HE SAID NO. AFTER A NORMAL TKOF WITH NO WARNING HE TURNED HARD TO THE RIGHT BEFORE THE END OF THE RWY OVER THE CORP OFFICE. THE RIGHT TURN WAS HELD AT LOW ALT FOR APPROX 270 DEGS BACK OVER THE CENTER OF THE RWY WITH A NORMAL CLBOUT. NORMAL TFC PATTERN FOR THAT RWY IS LEFT. THERE WAS NO TFC CONFLICT, BUT I WAS CAUGHT BY SURPRISE. HE GAVE ME NO BRIEFING OF HIS INTENTIONS.

Here was a pic from the Davis Monthan AFB show a few weeks ago. Kind of an interesting view.

Toby,
I flew two years on the Aluminum Overcast when it was up here [from the EAA]. Due to MASSPORT changing the game while the B17 was imbound, they ended up flying out of Lawrence MA instead of Bedford.
The day itself was 90+ and about 12Knots. 30 minute ride took 10 days for the smile to wear off. I regularly wear the B17 L2 jacket only available to flight experience participants.
If you get a chance, take it. You'll enjoy every minute.
www.b17.org.

silver-eagle said:
Toby,
I flew two years on the Aluminum Overcast when it was up here [from the EAA]. Due to MASSPORT changing the game while the B17 was imbound, they ended up flying out of Lawrence MA instead of Bedford.
The day itself was 90+ and about 12Knots. 30 minute ride took 10 days for the smile to wear off. I regularly wear the B17 L2 jacket only available to flight experience participants.
If you get a chance, take it. You'll enjoy every minute.
www.b17.org.
I would love to. They're not coming anywhere near where I am, though. Maybe another year. :(

Beautiful photos, everyone. I'm saving them all.

they just left HII an hour ago. They were here for the official grand opening of D2 Aero, the new FBO at HII.
I witnessed very childish behavior coming from the owner of D2 this morning, I was getting fuel, and he came over to my aircraft where sun western was refueling me, and started a shouting match with them, including the words...I will have you thrown in jail....I did notice however, a sun western employee flipping the bird to mr. D2 aero. They both were acting like little kids. He was ****ed that Sun western was having a fuel sale during his grand opening. LOL.
Anyways, When i returned from my flight, i was informed by the counter at sun western that my name and number were given to the local police, I guess SW called them, for harrassment.

Back to the B17....I was on final to HII and noticed a croud gathered at the runway..Were talking 50-100 people..lined up on the left side of 32. This is great, now i have to make it a greaser. all these people came out to watch me land? A few had video cameras as well..Turns out they were there to watch the B17 takeoff and do a flyby. But I did notice a few of them taking pictures of my greaser :)

What a day....at least it was beautiful in the air.

Michael

Sheesh people.

I flew left seat in alummium overcast back in1996 I do not think you can fly it anymore do to insurance. I logged about .3 in my log book. It flew like a big old cub, very easy, but then again it had to be easy to fly, most pilots were 21-23yrs old and only had a couple of hundred hours total time. Man those guys were brave.
Joe cfii

Michael said:
I witnessed very childish behavior coming from the owner of D2 this morning, I was getting fuel, and he came over to my aircraft where sun western was refueling me, and started a shouting match with them, including the words...I will have you thrown in jail....I did notice however, a sun western employee flipping the bird to mr. D2 aero. They both were acting like little kids. He was ****ed that Sun western was having a fuel sale during his grand opening. .
Manager at Sun Western was very, very shrewd. The D2 guy has some stiff competition :)

Yes, I've ridden in one.... About 3 years ago, working around the hangar (about 2 1/2 years before it burned down....:( ) as a volunteer, I found out the Yankee Air Force's Yankee Lady was going up on a pilot training mission. These flights typically are filled with any volunteers wishing to go, as they are not allowed to take donations for time aboard a training flight. I was in the station accross from the Radio Operator's station (forward facing seat, small window above the right wing... looking at the very same area I'd polished a few weeks earlier!). We flew from KYIP to KPTK for fuel, then to KFNT for several approaches. They did a total of 8 take offs and landings, including a few with simulated engine outs and simulated multiple engine outs. Also no flaps, though I'm still not certain if they actually became inop or not....
Total ride was about 4 1/2 hours.... still smilin'!
Here's a pic I shot in 2003..... And for any here in Michigan, so you know~ This and our other two main flyable aircraft, the B25 Yankee Warrior, and C47 Yankee Doodle Dandy were all saved from the fire! They will be at Willow Run along with some other greats, 5 other B17's (I think that was the count...) 2 B24's and the last remaining flying B29 in early August for "Thunder Over Michigan, 2005" (shameless plug....:D ).

standard.jpg

Back