Aztec door won't stay closed.

craigvince

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Craig
Is there a mod for Aztecs door latches?
Mine pops open during takeoff and sometimes right after landing.
Also, it's almost impossible to close and latch from the outside.

Any other Aztruck drivers with this problem?

It's an easy fix, you replace the airframe...:D Seriously though, there's a bunch of possibilities, without looking it's impossible to tell.

Yep, odds are good that you have a combination of worn parts that are out of adjustment. Beyond that I'd need the plane and the IPC infront of me.

If the problem is the old car door style handle rotating so the door unlatches, you can make a bungee to hold it in the locked position -- seen that several times as a temporary fix. Other than that, what Duncan said -- worn parts needing adjustment/replacement.

The car door handle is half the problem. The other problem is the door won't latch from the outside.

The car door handle is half the problem. The other problem is the door won't latch from the outside.

Pull the panel off and look around, grab and tug on parts, jiggle stuff around. Typically the problem becomes apparent pretty quickly.

Often the door is sprung as well, from people using it a a support when they're climbing out. This additional tension will pop open the door. A salvage door is likely to have the same problem. If it's bent too badly, it just won't stay closed.

The hinges on my PA30's were adjustable as well (pin holes were off center and rotatable), and I'll bet the PA23 is similar. Working with these and the handle may get the door secured.

Then it's time to park the plane, open up the door, and check the mechanism for wear and misadjustment.

No.... it is time to have your A&P fix it.

No.... it is time to have your A&P fix it.

I trust an A&P to fix it a lot more when I know what needs to be fixed. Sorry, 80% of A&Ps are stupid as well. There could be a rod that's bent from age and rough handling that just needs to be straightened, but an entirely new door latching assembly gets bought and installed because the mechanic didn't have either the wherewithal or inclination to straighten the bent part. Way too many 'parts gun' mechanics out there.:nonod:

Who is responsible for the maintenance of my plane? Me or some mechanic?

Do you want to know who can return it to service or who can fix it?

Sorry, 80% of A&Ps are stupid as well.

Hey! I like to think of myself as lazy.

I fought Aztec doors a lot over my early years. So many times the problems followed a door seal replacement. I also remember how you could slam the door with all of your might and it wouldn't latch. I found that bringing it up close then tugging the door close would allow it to catch then you could lock it.

How about this. I think Aircraft Spruce sells STCed, PMAed versions:

hook.jpg

Who is responsible for the maintenance of my plane? Me or some mechanic?

And wabower crowds the plate, drawing the high inside pitch...

Abbott: What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls?
Costello: Walk him...

The last Aztec was built in what, 1972? So if you're lucky, you're flying a 40 year old aircraft. I think that making sure everything works correctly is probably the first step, rather than hoping there's an aftermarket fix for something that may or may not be wrong.

The PA-24, PA-30 and PA-39 people have the shop in Newton, KS north of Wichita (Webco?) to support them. PA-23 owners, I don't know where you go.

Savvy hitters crowd a 2-2 count. They know the chin music is easy to duck and puts the pitcher down 3-2.

And wabower crowds the plate, drawing the high inside pitch...

Abbott: What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls?
Costello: Walk him...

Savvy hitters crowd a 2-2 count. They know the chin music is easy to duck and puts the pitcher down 3-2.

Yep, I saw my young'un get dotted a bunch of times after the 3-2. Stitch marks on the shoulder blades...He had about a .120 average, but he stole more bases than Dillinger robbed banks. Pretty good SS and a decent 2B player, lots better than me anyway. Good times...

The last Aztec was built in what, 1972?

1982, actually, although production fell off in the late seventies IIRC. There are enough around that finding someone knowledgeable doesn't seem to be a problem.

1982, actually, although production fell off in the late seventies IIRC. There are enough around that finding someone knowledgeable doesn't seem to be a problem.

I stand corrected. I thought that the Aztecs were built at the PA plant that got flooded out and wiped out the Comanche line...thanks for setting me straight!

A friend did an owner-assisted inspection last year that AFAICT included every nut, bolt and assembly on his Astick. I'll ask him if you'd like.

I stand corrected. I thought that the Aztecs were built at the PA plant that got flooded out and wiped out the Comanche line...thanks for setting me straight!

They may have been, Burt; I don't recall. All the tooling was repairable, it's just that the Comanches weren't selling that well and were relatively expensive to build. The flood was the coup de grace.

NASA and FAA got a lot of damaged airframes for crash testing. Even Navajos.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can simply adjust the holes in the frame a bit and get it to seal up. Did that on my Aztec enough times.

The Aztec is a wonderful summer airplane because it has so many air leaks, it provides extra ventilation. Unfortunately, its design, while robust and durable, has really crappy door mechanisms.

After looking inside the door, it appears it has been abused for decades and it's a wonder it opens and closes at all. Everything is worn and falling apart.
I removed the door today and have shipped it off to Montana Diamond Aire to be rebuilt.

After looking inside the door, it appears it has been abused for decades and it's a wonder it opens and closes at all. Everything is worn and falling apart.
I removed the door today and have shipped it off to Montana Diamond Aire to be rebuilt.

Good, it was due.

Back