Awww cr*p! Ground incident.

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
The two Archers that I routinely fly were involved in a ground collision where the leading edge of one hit the spinner of the other. I was not involved with either plane and I have little detail at the moment, except that the wing had some significant damage inboard from the tip and that the other plane needs a new spinner, and its brand new reman (40 hours) may need a teardown.

So there goes flying this weekend, and maybe a few after that!

Awww Cr*p!

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
The two Archers that I routinely fly were involved in a ground collision where the leading edge of one hit the spinner of the other. I was not involved with either plane and I have little detail at the moment, except that the wing had some significant damage inboard from the tip and that the other plane needs a new spinner, and its brand new reman (40 hours) may need a teardown.

Awww Cr*p!

-Skip

Were both planes making power? Was the one with the spinner damage shut down? If the latter, would it require a teardown or even a look at the prop bearings?

Tom?

Richard said:
Were both planes making power? Was the one with the spinner damage shut down? If the latter, would it require a teardown or even a look at the prop bearings?

Tom?

I don't yet know the answers to the questions, sorry. -Skip

Skip Miller said:

Awww Cr*p!

-Skip

Bummer, Skip. Is there anything else on the field for you to fly?

Is that the BRIGHT yellow one?

There must be another plane for rent near by.

Good Luck.

I Hope a Spinner strike isn't a prop strike.

Eamon said:
Is that the BRIGHT yellow one?

There must be another plane for rent near by.

Good Luck.

I Hope a Spinner strike isn't a prop strike.

Nope, that was BDR and this is HPN.

This is a good incentive for me to get with the CFI and log some time in the Arrows. I have my HP/Complex but the new club insurance requirement wants me to have more hours in the retracts. Not a bad result... needs to be done.

But it does kill the overnight trips I had planned.

-Skip

Richard said:

Tom?

I don't believe the spinner damage will require the AD compliance. But it may, IF the engine was running and the prop was removed to repair the damage.

Most times the spinner can be replaced by it's self, After all it is just an aerodynamic fairing, not part of the prop structure.

Back