Awkward departure

:eek: Good grief! Maybe they did try to rotate at V1!

Not sure what is in this video, all I see is a black screen. Mac OS/X 10.9.5, Firefox 47.0.

The no flap takeoff is exciting

Wow I sure didn't catch that! You're right, lucky they didn't run off the end. Reminds me of the CRJ at CRW years ago that went into the EMAS.

PSA CRJ KCRW EMAS.jpg

The title of the video is a little misleading. It did take off... eventually.

Wow....something went sideways....might need to have a change of underwear for a lot of folks

They had at least flaps 1 out. You can tell because the leading edge devices were out. If the flaps weren't set to the planned takeoff setting the takeoff warning horn would have been very annoying.

My theory is that they miscomputed V1 and rotated early.

They had at least flaps 1 out. You can tell because the leading edge devices were out. If the flaps weren't set to the planned takeoff setting the takeoff warning horn would have been very annoying.

My theory is that they miscomputed V1 and rotated early.
Certainly not enough flaps for sure.

The POM and performance charts were in English!

NOT for sure. They obviously had enough because they got off the ground.
Good point. Is "flaps 1" normal for departures in 737s? I've never flown one but there is more than just miscalculation of Vr IMO.

Good point. Is "flaps 1" normal for departures in 737s? I've never flown one but there is more than just miscalculation of Vr IMO.
We do a fair amount of Flaps 1 takeoffs.

And why do you think there is more than a miscalculation of V1?

Also, where did this happen? I don't think I ever knew.

Fair enough. Although it isn't real common in my world, we occasionally do flaps 1 takeoffs.

I figured it would have run off the end of the runway. I guess runways are long enough to prevent that from happening.

My guess is speeds were calculated for a higher flap setting and for whatever reason they took off flaps 1 without recalculating.

Bob
Well when you look at the charts you could have as much as 10 kts difference in Vr from flaps 1 to 15. Most outfits set their flaps just prior to taxi. You get a runway change and a different flap setting and it's conceivable that a crew could set the new flaps but not the new V speeds. A good sim instructor can embarrass a crew if he sets up the scenario right, so that the lesson happens in the sim and not out in public.

Either that or the guys flunked math and miscalculated their weight.

True, but takeoff configuration alarms have been known to fail (DAL 1141 at DFW comes to mind).

most take off config systems just check to see if the flaps are in A takeoff setting, not in a particular setting.

bob

Well the CVR tapes have been released. Definitely a failure to deploy the flaps.

Back