Awesome IPC (long)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
A while back Ed G. Suggested it is easier, less expensive and more educational to do an IPC every six months rather than worry about shooting the 6 approaches, holds etc every six months. I am here to tell you I AGREE!
Scheduled my IPC for yesterday at 5pm. Got to the field and was told the Warrior I reserved ( the FBOs best Warrior for IFR) was in maintinence for a shot starter. Ugh. FBO then offers me the use of a New Tiger for Warrior prices. Hmm this is starting out very well.
I got a briefing on the way to the airport . Everything was beautiful. FSS said Temp @ 3K would be 19 C. While waiting for my CFII FBO owner tells me to check out the new ,paint is still wet, Tiger on the line I pop my head in the cockpit and YOWSA YOWSA! GLASS PANEL Amazing how vacant the panel looks with two big TV screens and only a few steam gauges. Anyway the Bliss is short lived as Tiger Aircraft's test pilot jumps in and flies her off into the blue.
Anyway CFI arrives and we do a bit of IFR Q&A. I preflighted and we taxi to 24 @Juliet cross 33 via Gulf. BTW I use Rons technique of starting and taxiing on Right tank and do run up and departure on Left Tank to essentially check both fuel supplies before departure. We do the runup all is good. It is very hot in the cockpit with the canopy closed waiting to be cleared for TO and sweat was dripping down my face stinging the hell out of my eyes. Finally we depart and the foggles go on at 600' we climb to 3500 CFII plays ATC and am given D-> ARD. prior to ARD I reach 3500 and the outside temp is 28-29 C. I'm still sweating and the vent is blowing 85 F degree air on me Ugh. My mike boom keeps falling to my neck won't stay put. I literally have bend it so it sits just inside my mouth. Then I think hey this is great. No really this is a good thing. Sweat stinging my eyes, hot air blowing on me and my mike boom refuses to stay put. These are the kind of distractions that can pop up unexpectedly on an IFR flight. I made dealing with these distractions part of my IPC. CFII tells me upon reaching ARD take V 276 to RBV ( Got my tracking and intercepts. VOR #1 Set to ARD and #2 to RBV IDed the stations, half way to RBV told descend to 2000' and expect the Robbinsville VOR 29. I review the plate and set up VOR # 2 for the Approach I reach the VOR out bound is 108 I head outboud on a 078 heading with a teardrop entry Turn 078 Timer set. Twist OBS # 1 to the inbound of 288. after one minute Turn inbound and intercept Waiting for the flip waiting waiting. What's going on here? Hmmm OK procedure, OBS #1 Nav # 1 Comm OH SH*T. Going missed back to RBV and hold. ( Did you catch it?) I set OBS #2 and Nav #2 to RBV NOT OBS AND NAV#1!! Boy was I ****ed at myself!! Well at least I caught it on my own.
So back to the VOR for a hold after one lap I shoot the approach again This time BOTH VORs are set to RBV to back up. I state that I am tracking OBS#1 and track inbound to the VOR and again waiting for the flip, waiting waiting. Hey the ambiguity indicator on # 2 has already flipped, What the farfegnugen is going on. Start the timer, Confirm OBS 1 COMM 1 NAV 1 OBS 2 COMM2 NAV 2. CFII confirms and agrees with me. I twist OBS # 1 and the CDI does not move nada. BUZZ failed instrument ( for real not a drill) The timing was a bit messed up b/c of the failed instrument but I put it together to put it in the money at Robbinsville. Call the missed ,climb out to missed approach procedure CFII fails the AI I'm all good then I get the AI back. Abandon the missed and climb to 3K Steep turns Right then Left. All on the money. Then head 360 and into slow flight turn to 115, turn to 110 turn to 180. I recover from Slow flight and head 360 again and pull the throttle back to 1800 full flaps in maintain 3400 and do a power off stall. Interesting thing is how docile the Tiger was in both the slow flight and stall. I almost felt like I was cheating the High DA enable me to stall at a very low angle of attack. In the winter my angle of attack in practicing stall was MUCH more severe.Anyway the Tiger was stable as a rock in both the slow flight and the stall.
Now heading 180 and CFII has the plane cover my foggles and unusual attitudes Quick Eyes on the ASI IAS is 60kts we are nose up! yoke forward and left with full throttle. Next Up and left bank last one eyes down NOW. IAS is almost 150 banking Left. Quick level out throttle out and yoke back. Only thing is I instinctively looked up darn. Darn only time I looked out the window. Sigh. I must say it was very interesting the view out that huge clear canopy sure shows a lot of brown and green ( The ground) in a dive WOW! So we did it again and I made a good quick recovery.
CFI then says head D-> ARD asks what radial I'm on? I respond 120 correct. Intercept the 165 radial to RBV and expect the ILS 24 into KPNE. Turn 30 deg left twist OBS 2 to 165 and intercept after intercept we contact PHilly approach Philly Approach Tiger 957TE request. Nothing. Philly Tiger 957TE request. we hear, Aircraft calling Philly unreadable. Hmm another glitch. switch to Comm 2 now we are loud and clear we request the ILS 24 at KPNE and are told to squawk 0227 we are then vectored for the ILS. OBS#1 seems to be working ok now and we set 111.1 in Nav 1 and 108.3 for ARD in nav 2 with the OBS on 192 to identify BORDA the outer marker.
We are not cleared for the approach yet and told to maintain 2K and VFR. Philly blows us through the localizer apologizes and vectors us back to the localizer and clears us for the approach. I intercept the localizer and GS and are handed off to tower. North East tower Tiger 957TE on the ILS 24. Tower 7TE radar contact 3.5 outside BORDA how will approach end. Me request approach to minimums and circle to land 33. Tower 7TE cleared ILS 24 circle to land 33 announce turning right downwind 33. I confirm circle to land minimums as it was thrown at me by CFII just before radio call. We are now inside the marker no diversions, just me the LOC, GS and ASI oops no AI again CFII covered it up. Although the min is 640 I opt for 850 at 850' CFI says foggles off and Darn if I ain't smack dab on course. Here is an image of the LOC and GS (+) pouifect as curly would say. we head down wind call the downwind 33 cleared to land downwind 33 and told to hold short of 24 landing traffic. Accept LAHSO turn base and final for 33 and put her down with the nose wheel centered on the Dotted white line. 1.6 on the Hobbs and a post review with the CFII and done.
What a great Idea this was, thanks again Ed. That's why these board are so great. The board is a great place to exchange these ideas. I would have got this done in 1.4 had I not scre%d the pooch on the first approach even less if I I didn't have to taxi across the field to depart the far runway. I certainly spent less than I would have if I just tried to fly 6 approaches holds etc and I truly believe that I got a heck of a lot more out of it as well. This will be a regular thing for me now.

bbchien said:
Always GREAT to shake the rust off! :)

Speaking of that, I've gone the easy route, and just did the safety pilot thing with 9 of the 12 approaches being GPS approaches - and the holds being the racetrack on the GPS. Pretty benign. I wouldn't mind getting the "Dr. Chien overload IPC" sometime. Or have I just dug my own grave? :eek:

N2212R said:
Speaking of that, I've gone the easy route, and just did the safety pilot thing with 9 of the 12 approaches being GPS approaches - and the holds being the racetrack on the GPS. Pretty benign. I wouldn't mind getting the "Dr. Chien overload IPC" sometime. Or have I just dug my own grave? :eek:
Tee Hee. Ask Alan Bernard. :)

bbchien said:
Tee Hee. Ask Alan Bernard. :)

I have never confessed, but I didn't sleep two hours the night before my Bruce Chien IPC. I really was afraid I'd make an a** of myself. I made sure tha plane was washed and everything was tidy, but I failed to air up the tires. Bruce did it for me! We had a terrific time. His idea of partial panel is to cover up BOTH the DG and AI. I think handled it OK, but I had always before only had one or the other inop. A mutual non pilot friend rode along (even for the unusual attitudes!) and he even enjoyed it!

Bruce is a great instructor and if you get the opportunity, take his IPC. You WILL be better for it.

We need to do one in the 421 some time! I just don't want to be shutting an engine down.

Alan said:
IWe need to do one in the 421 some time! I just don't want to be shutting an engine down.
Thanks, Alan. But why would we wanna do a silly thing like really shut it down! Only in training for the rating....which was long, long ago.....and is why we don't get the MEI in a 421 : -)

Last edited:
All my PP training has been both AI & DG covered. Timed turns... ugh!

So, just what does a "Bruce Chien IPC" entail ? Does one have to have a multi-engine rating to qualify ? The IPC sounds ominious.

I think I will take one. Bruce, when is the next time you'll be in town?

Yep, my (bastard) CFII made me do the bulk of PP with both covered. Wow--PP NDB approaches and holds. Headache.

My CFII almost never gives a one-shot IPC, even if you do it every 6 months. I plan on three lessons.

jdwatson said:
All my PP training has been both AI & DG covered. Timed turns... ugh!

So, just what does a "Bruce Chien IPC" entail ? Does one have to have a multi-engine rating to qualify ? The IPC sounds ominious.

It was a fun afternoon! Bruce is a thourough but sane CFI. I've had anal guys start playing "stump the dummy" , etc. None of that silliness with Bruce. Just an IPC.

BTW, don't try to BS him. He will have a copy of the POH for your aircraft and he will have studied it. I don't know when the guy finds the time...

Ken Ibold said:
I like thoroughness, but 3 flights sounds like overkill.
I might squeak by with two flights since I just got the rating. Flying out of BWI, though, does sometimes drag things out. Remember that my checkride was seven hours, and the flying 2.6 hours!

All my PP work was covering both the AI and the DG as well; basic premise: failed vacuum pump, those are both vacuum instruments, QED.

Still, I want and need to buy some sim time where the failure of those is by something other than sticky notes or soap holders; except for those few instruments with flags to show failure or lost vacuum, only an active scan with "indication consistency" logic will reveal the failed devices. I am still haunted by the recollection of the Viking that took off at ADS on New Years Day a couple of years ago, took off into (IIRC 100'), IFR to someplace west, last radio contact was "...lost my panel...";

I was in the front yard, heard him fly over, thought "bad day for flying..." and he crashed probably 30 seconds later, less than a mile from my home.

I am tolerably confident I can maintain control over the plane under PP conditions; it's the recognition and transition that concern me.

That's how I feel.
SCCutler said:
I am tolerably confident I can maintain control over the plane under PP conditions; it's the recognition and transition that concern me.

SCCutler said:
All my PP work was covering both the AI and the DG as well; basic premise: failed vacuum pump, those are both vacuum instruments, QED.

Still, I want and need to buy some sim time where the failure of those is by something other than sticky notes or soap holders; except for those few instruments with flags to show failure or lost vacuum, only an active scan with "indication consistency" logic will reveal the failed devices. I am still haunted by the recollection of the Viking that took off at ADS on New Years Day a couple of years ago, took off into (IIRC 100'), IFR to someplace west, last radio contact was "...lost my panel...";

I was in the front yard, heard him fly over, thought "bad day for flying..." and he crashed probably 30 seconds later, less than a mile from my home.

One of the things I like about the OnTop IFR "simulator" program is that they have some fairly realistic instrument failure scenarios which can be programmed to occur randomly including the classic AI rollover and spinning DG. There's plenty to not like, but all in all it's a fairly good tool for experiencing a "real" gyro failure at your desk.

Adam. Good write up. Now I know what I have to look forward to. And you got to do it in a Tiger! Next time just rent the Tiger first. Don't fool around with those other "no name" brands. :)

SCCutler said:

O...M....G....

I just did this at SimCom during my IPC this past Wednesday. I can tell you hands down that I would have crashed the airplane had it been for real. Here is the story...

I'm flying along acing my IPC...nothing rattled me, and I'm yawning and smirking (CFII behind me on the computer). I'm setting up for a back-course with a stiff wind...who cares...yawn...

All of a sudden I notice that I'm having a hard time keeping the wings level. Cross check? Huh? What's that? I guess over the past couple of years I've become lazy. The AI is telling me the wings aren't level, and I'm fighting harder and harder to get them level.

I notice that I'm about 20 degrees off heading and 200 or 300 feet off altitude.

I still don't have a clue. 178 seconds to live...

Finally, I know the CFII is watching all of this, and I'm embarrased that I can't fly straight and level. So I say (as I'm wrenching the yoke left and right...harder and harder), "I think I've broken the sim. The yoke doesn't seem to be reacting to my inputs."

100 seconds to live...

Finally he has mercy on me. He says, "Well, do you think maybe an instrument has failed?" Oh shi^.... instantly, a cross check told me that the AI was Tango Uniform.

He, ever the smarta$$, says, "and I don't suppose you have anything to cover it with either."

Ignoring it was no problem. I got on partial panel and the HSI still worked...but now I was lost. The 430 solved that problem, and I went on to shoot the approach. I handled it pretty well until I broke out, but was in a little bit of a phugoid when breaking out so I broke out...and went back in...and then broke out....sigh.

I landed safely.

Lessons learned:

* Having the CFII or DE reach over and cover up the AI and/or HSI is NOTHING compared to the real thing.

* You have to always cross check like your life depends on it. Always...no matter what.

* Watch your vacuum gauge. I would have had an early indication but missed it.

* The $5,000 that I spent on the LifeSaver Electric Attitude Indicator was cheap life insurance

* Had the CFII not told me what was happening, I'm sure I would have crashed the sim.

* Oh yeah...most importantly...find a great CFII, spend the money on quality sim time, and get an IPC every six months...like your life depends on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Allen said:
Ditto. My main concern in IMC is a vac failure (second to an engine out!).

I caught it pretty quick when my vac froze up. It's pretty obvious something is not right. I was very glad that 32 of my 40 hrs were partial panel though, really had me in the habit of keeping the whisky compass in my scan. The big clue was that the DG and AI don't co-ordinate their movements the way I was used to seeing it happen, it just popped "something wrong" switch in my mind.

Back