Awesome FBO and destination to fly to!!! (long)

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on a little gem we found yesterday.

My "uncle-in-law" Scott and I flew from my home base MJD (Picayune, MS) and we're headed to GAO (Galliano, LA) which was the furthest south of any airstrips around here. Scott wanted to see the marsh and bayou country of south Louisiana.

Foggy in the a.m. on the coast so we postponed til about 8:15 am took off in bluebird conditions. Had the Mooney 231 purring along at a nice clip. Following Hwy 90 over the lake, skirting New Orleans airspace, then skirting NAS Belle Chasse and then direct to Galliano/S. LaFourche.

Went in to land, and despite the smooth air up above, once we got below 400' turning base to final it got very turbulent. We were coming in and decided to go around and continue our journey . . . but to where?

So being in the right seat I got out the sectional and looked around. We decided to go to HDC (Hammond, LA) b/c it didn't look too far from where a legendary restraunt is located. Hoping we could borrow a crew car we headed into HDC. Getting pretty windy but it was lined up straight on with 13.

Touched down smoothly headed to where a bunch of small planes were tied down. Talked to a nice guy with a 310, checked out a newly purchased Cherokee 140/160 and no luck on crew car. But the guys we met sent us to a new FBO there . . .

So let me tell you how AWESOME Hammond Air Center is!!! (their website is www.hammondaircenter.com).

Two pilots formed it in October and it is so sweet. All nice and new inside with all nice leather furniture in the pilot's lounge. Wifi internet, a couple big flatscreens with sat and movie channels too! Dart boards, skill games, etc. They are putting in a kegorator for root beer too. They had a fridge full of soda pop, beer, water, coffe / cappucino makers of every type. I mean they had it all.

Told us to help ourselves (no fee). We declined and asked for 10 gallons each wing and if they had a crew car. They said sure here's the keys. So we walked outside and jumped in the Cadillac Escalade crew car!

Took about a 20 minute drive to a restraunt that's been in business (for good reason) for over 75 years. It's called Middendorf's and is known for excellent seafood.

So we refueld on gumbo, turtle soup, thin fried catfish, shrimp, cole slaw, fries,real coca cola in a bottle, and hushpuppies . . . OMG it was good too!

About then I remember I was on call for work - doh! I called in and sure enough I needed to go in. So we headed back to HDC and Hammond Air Center and blasted off in the Mooney. Now in a strong quartering headwind and a little bumpy (front came through yesterday). And I just barely made it to work! (If was in my 150 I would have never made it lol).

So if you want an awesome place to go I strongly recommend HDC and the Hammond Air Center. You can go eat at Middendorf's as well. It is a great FBO and great restraunt.

Oh and 100LL yesterday was $5.15/g it is $5.05 at my home base FWIW.

Here's a pic of the pilot lounge and me with the "rocketship" Mooney :D.

Attachments

• 2011-12-03_13-00-43_25.jpg
    2011-12-03_13-00-43_25.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 2011-12-01_15-06-07_68.jpg
    2011-12-01_15-06-07_68.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
Sounds like a cool place! I'll have to try and make it down there sometime (if for no other reason than to try that seafood place!).

Mmmmm!

Thinfish at Middendorf's.

Back