Awaiting FAA review.

Rick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
New to the forums.
In July I had an appointment with the AME. As expected, I was going to have to provide the FAA with more info. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with an ascending aortic aneurysm that measured 4.5. In that time I’ve had yearly scans with zero changes. Due to my job as a firefighter I had a second opinion with another cardiologist and I saw a cardio thoracic surgeon as well. All had no issues with me staying at work full time. The second cardiologist stated it very well could be normal size for me. The second somewhat non issue was hypothyroidism.

I sent all the info back to the FAA as requested. As of Friday it will have been 5 weeks since sent and still not scanned to the system. At 50, I’d obviously rather not wait too much longer but definitely not up to me at this point.

Since the thyroid issue is controlled well with meds (same dose for 10+ years) and the aneurysm is asymptomatic and hasn’t changed, what are the chances of FAA approval? None of the doctors I’ve seen seem to feel it’s a disqualifying deal. I’m praying they’re right.

Thanks for your time.

I saw about a 12week turn around for cardiac issues about this time last year. And that was before the COVID thing. Then they were claiming they were still trying to catch up from the government shutdown. How long ago was that?

New to the forums.
In July I had an appointment with the AME. As expected, I was going to have to provide the FAA with more info. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with an ascending aortic aneurysm that measured 4.5. In that time I’ve had yearly scans with zero changes. Due to my job as a firefighter I had a second opinion with another cardiologist and I saw a cardio thoracic surgeon as well. All had no issues with me staying at work full time. The second cardiologist stated it very well could be normal size for me. The second somewhat non issue was hypothyroidism.

I sent all the info back to the FAA as requested. As of Friday it will have been 5 weeks since sent and still not scanned to the system. At 50, I’d obviously rather not wait too much longer but definitely not up to me at this point.

Since the thyroid issue is controlled well with meds (same dose for 10+ years) and the aneurysm is asymptomatic and hasn’t changed, what are the chances of FAA approval? None of the doctors I’ve seen seem to feel it’s a disqualifying deal. I’m praying they’re right.

Thanks for your time.
Curious how this ended up for you…did the FAA issue a medical, and if so what kind? Was a special issuance required?

4.5 cms will resutl in special isusance requring annualy echo or CT determination fo the aortia's max diamert, whiich will be fly-able until it reaches 5.0.

5 weeks to scanning is longer than what it's currently taking. 2.5 weeks is mcuh more common. I hate to say this but FAX them another copy (405-954-4300).....they've likely mislaid the documents. It happens with alarming regularity.

Last edited:
4.5 cms will resutl in special isusance requring annualy echo or CT determination fo the aortia's max diamert, whiich will be fly-able until it reaches 5.0.

5 weeks to scanning is loger than what it's currently taking. 2.5 weeks is mcuh more common. I hate to sayt his but FAX them another copy (405-954-4300).....they've likely mislaid the documents. It happens iwth alarming regularity.

5 weeks to scanning is loger than what it's currently taking. 2.5 weeks is mcuh more common. I hate to sayt his but FAX them another copy (405-954-4300).....they've likely mislaid the documents. It happens iwth alarming regularity.

Hi bbchien,
Do you know the max size of an aneurysm without the need of a special issuance?

3.9 cms. At 4.0, they know that "LaPlace's Law" will eventually lead to the aortic root needing replacement.
Reports Each and EVERY year....they don't what your valve and root blowing out in a 2G turn....

Last edited:
3.9 cms. At 4.0, they know that "LaPlace's Law" will eventually lead to the aortic root needing replacement.
Reports Each and EVERY year....they don't what your valve and root blowing out in a 2G turn....
Thanks for the info

Back