Avoid the Flow of Fixed-Wing Aircraft

Direct C51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Direct C51
Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

FAR 91.126(b)(2) - Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

Is it not legal for a helicopter to fly a pattern at a class E or G untowered airport? What if the pattern was flown at fixed wing speed? What if the pattern is flown at 500 AGL instead of 1000. What exactly defines "the flow of fixed wing traffic?" I understand that helicopters can fly direct to the helipad, taxiway, or ramp, but what if you just want to practice some things that require a traffic pattern such as roll on landings, or simply want to practice VMC approaches over and over. Surely there is a way for helicopters to fly traffic patterns at untowered airports. What am I missing?

This is good guidance:

http://bobanddusty.com/aviation/chopper101.htmlFlight

I normally go to 1,000 agl for my TPA and use right traffic if there are FW already in the pattern. Generally I use the parallel or even the ramp for final approach. If I want the runway (autos or run ons) I'll do it without interfering with FW traffic.

Note: It would appear that this link is broken since Bob passed away a few years ago. If you go to the first thread under Flight Following, you can access it there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Mcfly. I do always stay out of the way when a fixed wing shows up, and will slow, speed up, or exit the pattern as to not delay any fixed wing. I am looking for more of an FAA interpretation of what "avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft" means. I can interpret it to mean simply not interrupting a fixed wing's pattern, or I can interpret it to mean not to enter a pattern that a fixed wing would fly.

http://bobanddusty.com/aviation/chopper101.html

I fixed the link for you.

Thanks for the link Mcfly. I do always stay out of the way when a fixed wing shows up, and will slow, speed up, or exit the pattern as to not delay any fixed wing. I am looking for more of an FAA interpretation of what "avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft" means. I can interpret it to mean simply not interrupting a fixed wing's pattern, or I can interpret it to mean not to enter a pattern that a fixed wing would fly.

http://bobanddusty.com/aviation/chopper101.html

I fixed the link for you.

OK. Maybe Ron has a letter on what the FAA defines "avoid the flow." To me, if there are FW doing left traffic, I don't do left traffic even if I'm below them. We can easily keep up with piston GA aircraft in the pattern but you don't want some C-172 guy writing the FSDO about how you shared left traffic with him. I just play it safe and do right traffic. Generally the airports I operate from there's hardly anyone around anyway so I vary it with right and left traffic.

Download and read the FAA advisory circular AC 90-66A. Section 9 answers your questions.

It suggests helicopter operators fly at half standard pattern altitude and closer to the runway than fixed-wing traffic, or use opposite pattern if allowed by local policy, if they're using the runway.

If you check with the airport manager you can learn what's preferred by the locals. Also, do them all a favor and be sure you understand and comply with any noise abatement procedures in use.

OK. Maybe Ron has a letter on what the FAA defines "avoid the flow." To me, if there are FW doing left traffic, I don't do left traffic even if I'm below them. We can easily keep up with piston GA aircraft in the pattern but you don't want some C-172 guy writing the FSDO about how you shared left traffic with him. I just play it safe and do right traffic. Generally the airports I operate from there's hardly anyone around anyway so I vary it with right and left traffic.

I've flown into airports before where flying opposite of FW wasn't possible (noise restriction, if I remember correctly). In those instances, I was taught to keep it tight and fly well within FW's pattern and and below them.

what if you just want to practice some things that require a traffic pattern such as roll on landings, or simply want to practice VMC approaches over and over. Surely there is a way for helicopters to fly traffic patterns at untowered airports. What am I missing?

Just stay at 500' and close in. Or why climb that high? 300' and real tight, like a helicopter should...
...or if that's not comfortable, any way you like as long as you're not getting in the way of actual F/W in their pattern..whatever that is.

Back