Avoid if Faint of Heart

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am trying to figure a fast and dirty method of my hourly expenses. Normally I would avoid such thought like the plague but a friend who wants to get into it needs more detail..

based on 150hrs per year and a 1500hr TBO and prices listed below.
Ignore purchase price, selling price, loss of use for the purchase money and such. The numbers are for a 6cyl complex airplane, many are my own #s:

Gas 15gphX4$/gal = $60/hr
Engine 30K$/1500hrs = 20/hr
Maintenance 3K/yr = 20/hr
Repairs & Upgrades = 8/hr
Hangar purchase, (no resale val) = 5/hr
Insurance =10/hr
Oil =2/hr
Training =1/hr
=$125/hr cough,choke.
whatdIferget?

Thks

Depending on the airplane and your location, that $8/hr repair and upgrade figure may be a little slim. My Lance was about twice that over three years and about 400 hours; we would reserve $15.

The tried-and-true guesstimate of three times the cost of fuel may be a little high in these days of spiraling fuel costs, but it ain't a bad place to start.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I am trying to figure a fast and dirty method of my hourly expenses. Normally I would avoid such thought like the plague but a friend who wants to get into it needs more detail..

based on 150hrs per year and a 1500hr TBO and prices listed below.
Ignore purchase price, selling price, loss of use for the purchase money and such. The numbers are for a 6cyl complex airplane, many are my own #s:

Gas 15gphX4$/gal = $60/hr
Engine 30K$/1500hrs = 20/hr
Maintenance 3K/yr = 20/hr
Repairs & Upgrades = 8/hr
Hangar purchase, (no resale val) = 5/hr
Insurance =10/hr
Oil =2/hr
Training =1/hr
=$125/hr cough,choke.
whatdIferget?

Thks

How about GPS database update subscription?

Here is a spreadsheet I created...in ZIP format as the uploader doesn't like .xls files.

The spreadsheet has a formula that figures overhaul cost on both tach hours and calendar time based on 12 years between overhauls...just to let you know. Feel free to modify as you see fit.

Len

$4/hr for fuel is all to real these days, but I don't expect to see this hold. $3-3.50/hr might be a reasonable price looking ahead 6 months. Don't know the type of engine, but I am saving nearly 3 gal/hr running lean of peak since installing GAMIjectors and engine monitor. Price of running LOP is about 10 kts. TAS, a fair trade at today's gas prices!

We were at $3.50 avgas at mid-priced airports before Katrina. We'll be lucky to get back to that. $4.00 would not be surprising for a long run.

The second question.... Is, Is it worth it to you! Here where I live Flying is the only way to get to where your going. The fact that it is so much fun, makes it that much better. How ever with rising prices for everything, I have not been flying as much as I would like:( .

Dave;

Those numbers are great for a starting point.
Troy brought up a good issue the data base costs.

I am helping figure the cost of a plane that is close to your Viking. It is a Beech Debonair. I have looked at cost in three ways. fixed, opperating and Fluid Costs. The fluid is the fuel and Oil. That cost for fuel and oil as fluid for we do not know what that will be in 3,6,9 or 12 months out. It is out of our control. I have up a cost sheet using worst case senerios. It sure helps in the planning. Lucky the labor cost of maintenance is "free" for my partner is a A&P & I. The fluid costs are what is going to be the most difficult for we really cannot predict what the fuel and oil costs are going to be in the future.

Let us know what you come up with

John

Back