Avodart

U

Unregistered

My urologist suggested Avodart for enlarged prostate. I already take meds that were approved like Plavix, Metformin and Lipator.
How good is this drug and what problems would I run into with the FAA if I start taking it?
Thank you so much !!!

Thank you Dr. Bruce. I read that there are side effects that might be unwanted,,, maybe I can try to increase my Saw Palmetto for a couple of months and see if that works instead. Any thoughts??????
Thank you again.

Saw Palmetto Side Effects
Nausea, dizziness, decreased sex drive, and loss of appetite are some of the more bothersome side effects of saw palmetto. Fortunately, most side effects, if they occur, are not serious. However, there are some side effects that are potentially serious and require medical attention. These include unusual or unexplained bruising or bleeding, an unexplained rash, and wheezing or difficulty breathing.
Just sayin.....

Is there a maximum dosage considered safe? If each Saw Palmetto has 320 mg, is 4 a day too much?

Is there a maximum dosage considered safe? If each Saw Palmetto has 320 mg, is 4 a day too much?
The problem with supplements is that they are usually have not been subjected to the type of clinical trials that FDA requires for approved drugs. We know what a 5mg pill of Finasteride contains but what exactly is in a 320 mg pill of Saw Palmetto? The composition can vary between different manufacturers and batches. Many physicians do not really know much about supplements. I prescribed levothyroxine to a patient with hypothyroidism and she insisted that I research alternative medicine and prescribe a more natural medication. I told her she needed to find a new physician.

I agree with Dr. Bruce that you should take up you health issues with your physician. I understand why many pilots would like to avoid any official medical encounters that need to be reported when we get our medical certificates renewed. It would not be a good idea if someone with symptoms that could conceivably be the result of undiagnosed prostate problems including possibly cancer treat themselves with OTC supplements. This does not apply to the OP as he is under the care of a urologist who would have done a proper exam and presumably ordered a PSA test.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you both. I was hoping that someone had more experience with Saw Palmetto and might know, based upon common knowledge ( that I haven't found yet :( ). My PSA is very low and I am trying for a solution with the least side effects.

I totally agree with you both. I was hoping that someone had more experience with Saw Palmetto and might know, based upon common knowledge ( that I haven't found yet :( ). My PSA is very low and I am trying for a solution with the least side effects.
I will review the medical literature and report back when I can provide some general information on this stuff. Not a substitute for an evaluation by a physician.

Disclaimer: Not a substitute for a medical evaluation.

I researched Saw Palmetto in the Natural Medicines comprehensive database at my hospital. Here is a summary.

Possibly effective for symptoms of enlarged prostate.

Likely safe when used at doses 160 mg twice a day or 320 mg once a day.

Might interact with multiple medications including blood thinners including Coumadin and Lovenox, antiplatelet medications including Plavix (and presumably Effient), nonsteroidal pain medications such as Motrin, ibuprofin and many others including some blood pressure medications. Ask a pharmacist if any of your medications might interact.

Stop 2 weeks before surgery due to possible increased bleeding risk.

Substantial variation in chemical profile with free fatty acid (FFA) content varying between 41% and 81%. The scientific studies of Saw Palmetto used preparations with FFA content of 80 to 90%.

Last edited:
Thanks !! Pretty much what I had discovered. It seems to be help so far......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back