Avis issues?

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
Against my better judgement, (past experiences argued against it), I rented a car from Avis in Medford OR when my wife and I stopped off for a couple of days to catch a few plays in Ashland on our way home from CA last week. The folks at Medford Air, (GREAT FBO by the way), gave us a ride over to the terminal to pick up the car as they refused to deliver it to the FBO unlike Hertz or Budget which we have used previously there. I was told at the time of pick up that I could leave the car at Medford Air and they would pick it up, which I did Friday morning. Imagine my surprise when I get a call this morning from Avis asking how much longer I needed the car!!!! :mad2:

I called Medford Air and they said they had been calling Avis since Friday and couldn't get a response. After playing phone tag through the Avis "Customer Service" never never land I found out the contract had been closed Friday afternoon. :dunno: Why then did they call asking how much longer I needed a car that they showed as being returned??? Anyone else have a similar experience with these guys? OBTW Medford Air tells me the car is still sitting in their parking lot. :confused:

Yes, it happened with me at Houston with Avis. I returned the car to the FBO parking lot as instructed, noted the time, mileage and dropped the keys in the "Avis" box inside the FBO. I got a bill for +3 days rental over what the contract was. I disputed it with Avis, and got nowhere, so I had to get the CC involved. I sent them a copy of my contract, and the date and time I bought gas from the FBO when I took off and they reversed the charge. Avis came back at me with another attempt at a charge, and I had Amex block them from billing my card as a fraudulent transaction.

It was not fun.

I have used Avis since 1985, almost exclusively and never have any problems.

Now that I have JINXED myself, I will be gifted with problems until two weeks after I die...

This stuff is rampant.
I've got a string on here about enterprise.
"make a reservation at Signature"
"cancel"
"Then end up in collection".

Sigh.

Been with Avis for years, renting from the big airports. Never a problem, and frequently got an upgrade as a member of the preferrred status club.

Have yet to rent a car from an FBO so no real experience there.

I have used Avis since 1985, almost exclusively and never have any problems.

Also since the 1980s, and never a problem. In those year's I've had problems of my own making -- totaled one of of their cars. No problem. They came with a car hauler with a replacement, off loaded it, loaded the damaged one and I was on my way.

On another occasion a big vulture did not get off his road kill in time and broke the front window. No problem. Pulled into the nearest Avis (Roswell NM), they pulled a replacement next to the broken one -- and the agent kept the place open an extra four hours because I called ahead -- and we transferred our luggage and were on our way.

So, we use Avis and will continue to do so.

Seems like with most things, the franchisee you deal with makes a big diff. We've got a local Enterprise office that I've used a few times with good success, but Bruce has had trouble repeatedly. I've had a pretty bad issue with one Avis franchise but most are doing right.

I've yet to have any issue renting a car, even when I "lost" one of their hubcaps.

The most interesting rental was an AVIS in Alaska. During the walk around we found two bullet holes.

Lots of posts on other boards. I've been billed over a weekend after turning in a car on Friday, but they were responsive when called. Seems just turning it in to the FBO may not completely protect you against damage claims. Almost all have phones now that take pics. Good to take one from each side if you don't turn it in where they sign for it and acknowledge no damage. Some pretty annoying cases where damage claims were made the poster claimed were bogus. One can find themselves defending in another state.

Best,

Dave

This seems to be a problem mostly with the 'turn in at the FBO' system. People like to criticize franchisees that dont offer that service, given the opportunities for things to go wrong, I can understand the ones who choose not to offer this.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with their insurance/claims department a couple of times. Every time, they were professional and performed as spelled out in my contracts with them.

This seems to be a problem mostly with the 'turn in at the FBO' system. People like to criticize franchisees that dont offer that service, given the opportunities for things to go wrong, I can understand the ones who choose not to offer this.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with their insurance/claims department a couple of times. Every time, they were professional and performed as spelled out in my contracts with them.

That's a valid point. But if they state up front that they will provide the service they should carry through. The FBO I used was very professional and even came out to look at the car and agree there was no damage, and they made a note of it with the time of return on the contract. I have previously used other vendors at KMFR, and will again. In the past Budget had the car waiting at the FBO and Hertz sends a van to take us to the terminal, and allows us to leave the car at the FBO.

Back