Avionics shop gone

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
There has been a great thread on the Beech forum regarding an avionics shop in Huntington, IN. I had gone there many times in the past, as have a number of friends and other pilots from our home field. This shop had a reputation for being a third to perhaps even a half of other avionics shops, delivered on time, and the work was generally done well, with no hidden upcharges.

The other day my radar died, so I called and took it to his shop, but also put a credit card deposit on a used unit he had,since my symptoms sounded like a dead magnetron. Turns out he was playing a shell game with his customers, using their deposits to pay for other work- classic ponzi scheme ala Bernie Madoff.

There were several planes that were completely torn apart, with partially completed wiring harnesses, while several customers had sent huge deposits for the purchase of avionics which never materialized. He was also months late on his hangar rent and house payments as well, as everyone later learned.

Best anyone can figure is that he owes his various creditors 300-300K. He came in one night and removed his computer records, and then skipped town, leaving his house empty. Luckily, he had not touched my plane, so I am out 5K for the radar unit (which the previous owner was never credited, and was also sold to someone else, who has it in their possession).

As of now, police are leaning this toward a civil matter, but of course he has no assets,so nothing to attach. Going to court (if they can even find him), would only result in an empty settlement, so hiring a lawyer and possibly a detective would cost a lot more money than the radar unit.

At least my plane was untouched, while a Bonanza had to have a crew come in and get a ferry permit to fly out, with no panel other than engine instruments.

It is a real mess, but I am now just trying to minimize my losses. There are others that are out tens of thousands of dollars for panel deposits.

Caveat emptor!

That sucks!

Any chance you put the 5k on your credit card and can reverse the charge?

Why are the police reluctant to call this anything other than theft and take the steps to issue a warrant for his arrest?

They are still gathering information, but I get the impression that it will turn out to be a poor businessman that went bankrupt rather than a crime.

Wow! I suspect there will be a lot of aviation businesses going out of business because of this recession.

Wow! I suspect there will be a lot of aviation businesses going out of business because of this recession.

At least near us, this has been happening over the last 6 months with regularity. A bad time to be in a weak cash position, particularly in aviation, where margins are in the low single-digits.

This shop had a reputation for being a third to perhaps even a half of other avionics shops, delivered on time, and the work was generally done well, with no hidden upcharges.

In retrospect, it sounds like he simply didn't charge enough for his services to maintain a viable business.

They are still gathering information, but I get the impression that it will turn out to be a poor businessman that went bankrupt rather than a crime.
I see. I guess he did not have enough money to actually file bankruptcy? That would have at least told me he had no intent to defraud guys like you who were waling in near his departure date.

Can't disagree at all, but the state's attorney had indicated this was going to be a civil matter. However the investigation is still underway. Regardless of criminal or civil, he has no assets, so the point is moot.

Taking the company computer is strange. I wonder why he did that.

All of his business transactions were on it.

All of his business transactions were on it.

I'd think, and I know nothing, that this action is what makes it criminal, and not just "bad luck for a businessman"

I can't imagine a judge being amused at destruction of records in the face of a debacle like this.

The fact that the crime was committed in the course of business transactions does not make it any less a crime; usually, when a prosecutor tries to play that game, it means that he/she does not want to bother with tasking prosecutorial resources to a matter which is not a high-profile "looks good" crime (e.g., murders, assaults, rapes, etc.).

Remember: DAs are elected, and there are not very many airplane-owners among the electorate.

Someone needs to apply some appropriate pressure on this Prosecutor's office, lest another crime be committed in official name.

What's the limit for small claims court in your area? If $5k fits and he was operating as a sole proprietorship, you might be able to get a judgement against him pretty easily. Not to say that you'll ever see anything for it, but if you keep your judgement up to date it will follow him around on his credit.

What's the limit for small claims court in your area? If $5k fits and he was operating as a sole proprietorship, you might be able to get a judgement against him pretty easily. Not to say that you'll ever see anything for it, but if you keep your judgement up to date it will follow him around on his credit.

Yes, and then when tax rates get to 70% :)D), he could write it off as a bad debt and effectively recover most of it in less taxes...

Back