Avionics, Particularly a KI 214

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
The KI-214 in my PA-28-161 is acting up. Turns on and off at its own mind. The KI-214 is attached to a recently checked out Mitchell MX-170. Bennett Avionics wants $850 to yellowtag the KI 214. While being the cheapest remedy, this seems to me repairing a 30+ yr. old piece of equipment to be a waste of $850. Am I wrong? I am not IR but am planning to start training soonish.

I must admit as a new plane owner, looking at the avionics options both new and used along with the exorbitant costs and the ADS-B thing makes my head hurt. Garmin seems to be the 800 lb gorilla but I really do not like their business model of planned obsolescence. I wish everything would work off of my ipad mini.

I am looking for someone wiser than me to provide me with clarity of thought and perspective. To anyone up to the challenge, you will have my gratitude

The KI-214 in my PA-28-161 is acting up. Turns on and off at its own mind.

"Turning on and off" is a pretty broad statement. In the "off" error mode ... Are the flags both showing? Are both needles completely dead? Have you tried operating it on the glideslope during the dead mode? In other words, are ALL functions completely dead?

This would be the optimal condition, EVERYTHING dead in the failure mode. That would point me to checking primary power pins on the connector to make sure that you don't have a goosey power pin.

Jim

Best way to do this if it's in need of repair is to talk to your A&P IA about his willingness to accept re-installing a non 8130-3 tagged repair of your unit. If he doesn't have a problem with it, and probably won't unless he's operating a repair station, then check all the wiring and ensure the connection isn't the real problem and then ship it to Cannon Radio Services. Cannon will test it for $45 or repair it for a $200 flat fee.

Cannon is not an FAA shop, but instead an FCC licensed radio guy, and fellow pilot, authorized to repair aviation tx/rx equipment. No FAA license means no tag, but his FCC license and 30 years experience will get you a legal and proper repair while saving you a ton of cash.

Willing A&P IA is a must or he'll refuse to sign off the annual or next required return to service after the repaired unit is installed back into the plane.

Steve

Best way to do this if it's in need of repair is to talk to your A&P IA about his willingness to accept re-installing a non 8130-3 tagged repair of your unit.

Oh, my dear God. We aren't talking about pulling a jug and field overhauling/repairing it. How would the A&P/IA know that the instrument was repaired and reinstalled unless you spilled the beans?

Somehow I get the feeling that a lot of the lurkers in here haven't been around the Maypole for a number of years.

FIX the damned thing any way you can and put it back in.

Jim (note the IA behind my name). I didn't bother to put the FCC Radiotelephone First Class (with radar endorsement) but you may if you wish. jw

Oh, my dear God. We aren't talking about pulling a jug and field overhauling/repairing it. How would the A&P/IA know that the instrument was repaired and reinstalled unless you spilled the beans?

Somehow I get the feeling that a lot of the lurkers in here haven't been around the Maypole for a number of years.

Jim (note the IA behind my name). I didn't bother to put the FCC Radiotelephone First Class (with radar endorsement) but you may if you wish. jw

I talked with my AP/AI and he's good with whatever. I figured that he would be, but I always run stuff past him so we are on the same page. he is always reasonable as long as I don't risk his ticket, which I would never knowingly do. A great guy really. I am hoping that it is just some oxides on the connectors. But all of this has gotten me to thinking about long tern avionics plans and where I want to put my money.

Best way to do this if it's in need of repair is to talk to your A&P IA about his willingness to accept re-installing a non 8130-3 tagged repair of your unit. If he doesn't have a problem with it, and probably won't unless he's operating a repair station, then check all the wiring and ensure the connection isn't the real problem and then ship it to Cannon Radio Services. Cannon will test it for $45 or repair it for a $200 flat fee.

Cannon is not an FAA shop, but instead an FCC licensed radio guy, and fellow pilot, authorized to repair aviation tx/rx equipment. No FAA license means no tag, but his FCC license and 30 years experience will get you a legal and proper repair while saving you a ton of cash.

Willing A&P IA is a must or he'll refuse to sign off the annual or next required return to service after the repaired unit is installed back into the plane.

Steve

I sent an email to Cannon 2 weeks ago but have not heard back. Do you know if they are still an active concern?

"Turning on and off" is a pretty broad statement. In the "off" error mode ... Are the flags both showing? Are both needles completely dead? Have you tried operating it on the glideslope during the dead mode? In other words, are ALL functions completely dead?

This would be the optimal condition, EVERYTHING dead in the failure mode. That would point me to checking primary power pins on the connector to make sure that you don't have a goosey power pin.

Jim

Everything is off, no flags, no needles, no nothing and then turn on/off some unrelated equipment, i.e. landing light, the other radio and it is back on or off as the case may be. I am hoping that it is some connector issue but have not had the opportunity to fiddle with it.

Everything is off, no flags, no needles, no nothing and then turn on/off some unrelated equipment, i.e. landing light, the other radio and it is back on or off as the case may be. I am hoping that it is some connector issue but have not had the opportunity to fiddle with it.

I'd bet cash money on a connector problem, and I don't bet money all that often.

Rat Shack used to have some really good contact cleaner in a spray bottle. Dunno if they still have it, but it was really good for light corrosion on old contacts. WD40 if you must but do NOT under any circumstances use the "silicone spray" sort of lube as silicone is an INSULATOR and if you think you've got problems now ...

Jim

The KI-214 in my PA-28-161 is acting up.
I am looking for someone wiser than me to provide me with clarity of thought and perspective. To anyone up to the challenge, you will have my gratitude

Bevan-Rabell in Wichita.

Yep saw the IA behind your name. Been around the block for quite a while, on my third airplane.

OP says he's a new owner, so instead of giving him advise that may get him sideways with his IA, who already presumably knows the thing doesn't work, I gave him advise that is helpful and keeps him out of an argument with his maintenance shop.

If your advise is better, you really should have just come right in the beginning and told him to yank it, fix it, and put it back in and then keep quiet but you didn't say that until you didn't like the content of my post, fine with me but if OP was your new customer I doubt you'd give the same advice.

OP, if your IA is good with whatever then do as Jim says, yank it fix it and put it back. Of course you'd never have known that if you hadn't had the conversation, as I suggested in the beginning.

Ste e

I sent an email to Cannon 2 weeks ago but have not heard back. Do you know if they are still an active concern?

Last I knew they were still around. Been a few months since a hangar mate sent him a radio, but all was good then.

Steve

OK, so what did the wire-wiggle test show??

Jim

Unfortunately, no change. :confused: looking for other option$. I am going to see my avionics guy at the end of the month for another issue and see what he says.

Back