Avionics Installation

stsavios

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
stsavios
Hello there,

I'm looking at getting some avionics installed into my Cherokee 180, and am looking for some advice/mechanics.
To be installed:
KX-155(no glideslope) with a KI-208
KNS-80 with a KNI-520
and a KMA-24 audio panel.

I also have a LORAN that I would like taken out. Doe anyone have a rough idea of what it should cost to install the above avionics? It looks as if all (or almost all) of the wiring for the NAV/COMs are done according to a mechanic, as well as some of the wiring for the KNS-80. I don't think I have a DME antenna installed yet (for the KNS-80), but all other antennas are there, and are in good shape.

Also, I'm looking for a mechanic that would install the mentioned above avionics. I'm in Arizona, but would be willing to fly around for a good deal.

Thanks for reading

My guess is it will cost as much if not more than you paid for the boxes. Don't know anyone in the Zone. I've been thinking about going almost the same way in my aircraft, though T'm now leaning a bit more toward the 430.

You're better off getting a 430W installation. I was going to do the same thing as you, and it was cheaper to just put in the 430. Rule of thumb, is whatever you paid for the boxes new, is what the labor is going to cost to put it in.

You're better off getting a 430W installation. I was going to do the same thing as you, and it was cheaper to just put in the 430. Rule of thumb, is whatever you paid for the boxes new, is what the labor is going to cost to put it in.

Not quite, but pretty damn close. Every time I priced the KNS80 combo, I needed a new indicator or a new box. With the 430, there is one indicator and it is good to go. The 430 was still more, but not by that much.

Echo the above. It probably won't be cheap, and the 430 will probably end up being a better bet. Plus it will make your plane worth more.

Thanks for the input... looks like I'm gonna aim for the GNS 430 route. Can anyone tell me about how much I should expect for installation? Also with the GNS 430, I have a ky-97a Com in the airplane currently... would you recommend keeping it, and getting another Nav radio in addition to the GNS 430?

Thanks for the input... looks like I'm gonna aim for the GNS 430 route. Can anyone tell me about how much I should expect for installation? Also with the GNS 430, I have a ky-97a Com in the airplane currently... would you recommend keeping it, and getting another Nav radio in addition to the GNS 430?

The 430 and its indicator will run you $13K here.

Do keep the comm, you'll want the backup (the 430 has a comm itself, so you won't need another unless you feel a deep-seated need for 3 comms). We've been going through the same process, and what I have come up with is if the 430 takes a dump, we'll use our handheld to do whatever needs to be done. It has lots of approaches itself. Might even be legal, I imagine loosing your nav under IFR conditions constitutes an emergency.

Backup Nav would be nice, but costs many dollars, and I'm not certain I'll have the panel space when all is said and done.

I would recommend having redundant Nav/Coms if you intend on doing any IFR. Since the 430 has its own Nav/Com, an additional one in whatever form works best for your aircraft installation is a good idea.

The 310 has a 530 as the primary GPS/Nav/Com, and an old Collins Nav/Com as the secondary.

The 430 and its indicator will run you $13K here.

Do keep the comm, you'll want the backup (the 430 has a comm itself, so you won't need another unless you feel a deep-seated need for 3 comms). We've been going through the same process, and what I have come up with is if the 430 takes a dump, we'll use our handheld to do whatever needs to be done. It has lots of approaches itself. Might even be legal, I imagine loosing your nav under IFR conditions constitutes an emergency.

Backup Nav would be nice, but costs many dollars, and I'm not certain I'll have the panel space when all is said and done.

My GNC-420W (430 w/o the Nav) cost $15k installed (in January). With new indicator, antennas, audio panel and removed ADF.

My GNC-420W (430 w/o the Nav) cost $15k installed (in January). With new indicator, antennas, audio panel and removed ADF.

Yipes. Overpaid. Especially for it being a 420.

Back