Avionics Focus Group

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I'm seriously thinking about retiring (after 50 years) from college teaching and I'd like to expand the RST Engineering product line. However, I'm so far removed from current thinking that I'd probably design a vacuum tube MK-12 thinking it was state of the art. I actually fly with a KX-170 (not even the B mod) and think it is a pretty good radio, so you know where I'm coming from.

I need a focus group to bounce ideas off. I've got my share of engineers to help me, but I need some "normal" people (my wife says that her mother told her never to talk to strangers, and that all engineers are strange as hell).

If you are of a mind to share opinions with me, drop me a line jim@rstengineering.com

THanks,

Jim

Kudos to you for soliciting outsiders opinions. Imma engineer so totally useless in this matter.

Jim, not an engineer and not "normal" LOL but happy to answer your questions or give me my opinions.

As an engineer, whatever you're doing is wrong and needs correction:D.

Glad to participate.

Cheers

[off topic] Hey Jim, Your sig has the T and H capitalized. Is that just a way old typo, or is there some meaning I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

ADS-B stuff. Most are going to need it.

Heathkit went broke trying to put color TVs and pentium computers out as kits. I prefer not to follow their lead. That's just a LITTLE outside the average electronic hobbyist skill set, as if you use through-hole components the box would completely fill the copilot's chair.

Thanks,

Jim

Heathkit. I built a radio of theirs with my Dad. I think it was AM. [not in the morning, amplitude modulation]

Fun memory.

Hi Jim,
Great idea! The next generation of kits... have you looked at the Stratux "kit" which is kind of today's state of the art? A bunch of components plugged together, including a Raspberry Pi computer, with some custom software to make it fly.
I think ADS-B is old hat at this point... with the increasing reliance on GPS instead of ground-based radar, and the winds of war or at least skirmishes brewing, it would be cool to have a ground-based RNAV widget... There's the minimum core number of VOR/DME that the FAA plans to maintain. What we could use is a user-friendly front end to those that calculates your lat/long in real time (5x/second like GPS?) and drives the navigation engine from a non-GPS source.
Paul

Please please make an IFR GPS for like 3K-4K :)
Just kidding

Back