Avidyne question - IFD 100 / charts..

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
If you make the jump to Avidyne, (what I am thinking about doing). The IFD 100 does NOT have approach plates correct? So does everyone just keep using ForeFlight?

Last edited:
If you get the charts subscription for the IFD, the iPad app gets them too. I just use ForeFlight.

Follow-up question - I think one of the upper tier subscriptions of FF has georeferenced plates and taxi diagrams (not in the base app). I too am going Avidyne and assumed the IFD100 app uses georefrenced plates (just makes sense); Correct?

You can get Jeppesen charts on the IFD100 if you order it as a part of your bundle, even if you have an IFD440 that doesn't support charts.

Follow-up question - I think one of the upper tier subscriptions of FF has georeferenced plates and taxi diagrams (not in the base app). I too am going Avidyne and assumed the IFD100 app uses georefrenced plates (just makes sense); Correct?

As long as your charts are up to date you'll have referenced charts.

Does the georef in the IFD100 “shut off” at expiration? Or is that just for approaches (for legality/safety)? What about taxi diagrams?

I’m not instrument rated yet so some of my questions might not make sense.

ForeFlight has plates in all levels. The Basic subscription doesn't have them georeferenced, the Pro and Performance ones do.

Does the georef in the IFD100 “shut off” at expiration? Or is that just for approaches (for legality/safety)? What about taxi diagrams?

I’m not instrument rated yet so some of my questions might not make sense.

You'll still have the charts after they expire, but they'll be watermarked "not for navigation" and you'll not get georef any longer.

Many with IFD540/550 get the Jeppesen IFD440 bundle, it's cheaper but doesn't include chart updates.

Charts are cheaper on Flyq and are georef as well as taxi diagrams. I also use Garmin Pilot, but unless you pay for the IFR bundle you don't get georef.

I have a 550 and use the IFD 100 app to run the moving map with traffic and weather.

Have never had the desire to have charts or plates on the ifd100. Still use foreflight for those right on the yoke mount mini.

The IFD 100 is on a panel mount iPad Pro 9.7. Absolutely wonderful setup.

I don’t have that system, but I have had panel mounted stuff with plates, still prefer to have it on my iPad on my lap.

I don’t have that system, but I have had panel mounted stuff with plates, still prefer to have it on my iPad on my lap.
This discussion is about Avidyne's feature that duplicates the panel capabilities (including charts) on an iPad in your lap.

FWIW, I don't own an iPad, so I don't pay for the charts bundle (as others have mentioned, I get the "440" bundle which doesn't include charts, even though I have a 540). I use georeferenced NACO charts on my iFlyGPS app, instead. Comes out cheaper overall that way, anyway.

Back