Aviation writer

Phil Bowie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Bowie
Hello All,

I’m an instrument-rated pilot, though not current. Had a Cessna Skyhawk for 25 years but sold it because my skills were beginning to erode with age. I’m also a lifelong freelance writer with articles and short stories in many magazines including The Saturday Evening Post, Reader’s Digest, Private Pilot, and AOPA Pilot (member since 1981).

Over recent years I’ve been writing suspense novels and have four out in a series endorsed by top gun bestselling authors Lee Child, Ridley Pearson, and Stephen Coonts (Flight of the Intruder). The series debut GUNS earned honorable mention at the London Book Festival.

The series protagonist is a light plane pilot. Each novel is themed—the black-market weapons trade, a lost Cherokee gold mine, the outlaw motorcycle cult, and synthetic drugs. A new stand-alone novel Killing Ground features a corporate pilot and involves ongoing African elephant poaching. A portion of proceeds will go toward elephant protection.

If you’re a reader you might enjoy the yarns. They’re available in print or e-book on Amazon or through my website. (Just Google my name.)

Be happy and safe up there.

Phil Bowie

Kindle editions?

Answering my own question... Yes, available on Kindle!

I congratulate you on getting those endorsements. That is huge.

Congratulations on your fine endorsements. Some of my favorite aviation themed books center around rather mundane events in the life of a pilot. Richard Bach's adventures in his Detroit-Parks Biplane is a prime example as is Stephen Coont's Cannibal Queen. I realize you're writing a novel, but most pilots want to read about piloting. The general public will be more interested reading about drugs, weapons and bikers mixed in with a little flying and if you want to sell in volume then that's your market. There are few books written by pilots that are largely aimed toward pilots as we are few in number and hardly anyone outside of aviation wants to read about an exciting approach to minimums after a long flight. I truly wish you the best of luck with your latest work.

Back