Aviation teamed vacation. Suggestions welcomed!

lockeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John
Every year in late Aug/early Sept, I usually go somewhere with my girlfriend and daughter. I've been doing a little bit of research for the past week or so as to where our next destination will be. Last year I pleased the girls and went to a family resort which they enjoyed.

This year, we agreed on pleasing daddy so I decided to do an aviation teamed trip and visit some interesting places where aviation is buzzing. That's where I need your help.

We'll rent a car upon arrival and we don't mind traveling a bit between interesting spots. And we'll most likely travel by air (airlines) unless the destination is less than a thousand miles from home (Quebec).

First, here's what I'd like to visit over a period of 7-8 days.

-grass fields / small airstrips / local airports
-great aviation communities and/or residential airpark
-a fly-inn would be great if it fits into our schedule
-float plane operation/base/lake

Keeping in mind that the "girls" must have something to do not too far away, or along our route. A beach, lake, resort or water park would be great things to have near by.

What would be great is finding a place where we can rent a home or a lake cottage (something nice) and visit around this central point every day.

You get the pictures, now, where do you guys think I can find all this ?

Doesn't sound like it will end well. If the women aren't into planes, you should probably refocus the trip and maybe do a few side activities that involve airplanes.

That's a negative! This year's my turn, they know it!

Seriously, I'm planning a trip that I've been wanting to do for a long time and they know it very well. They enjoy planes too... and we'll leave room do do family activities each day. We'll probably have a friend's couple coming along with their daughter too, so the cottage or lake house idea is really appropriate.

Well Airventure (Oshkosh) is July 28 to August 3. It doesn't get more aviation than that.

Definitely not Oshkosh! No big crowds, no lines, no waiting please.

Small grass strips, airpark are more like it. Somewhere we can relax too...

Might be interesting. Any pilot communities, airpark, field etc?

If I recall correctly, there are several airports down there. One is a very ritzy air park and another is a busier airport where the airlines go in. Should be a few other small ones to. I will look at the chart in a minute.

having seen it recently in an article, first place I thought of was Tripple tree. That's the kind of place I'd like to visit.

But, I'm trying to see if there's anything else around. Is there other interesting "aviation" places to see other than this one? One good thing is that your are from a driving distance of Myrtle beach and the coast... I would just need some guidance from the locals as to what we should see and do around SC.

I'd suggest Katama airstrip on Martha's Vineyard. One of my favorite grass strips, right on the beach. No need to rent a car, great inexpensive bus system on the island that locals and visitors all use.

Not too far away, great flying destination, lots of other places to pop into, and the ladies will love it! What's not to like?

having seen it recently in an article, first place I thought of was Tripple tree. That's the kind of place I'd like to visit.

But, I'm trying to see if there's anything else around. Is there other interesting "aviation" places to see other than this one? One good thing is that your are from a driving distance of Myrtle beach and the coast... I would just need some guidance from the locals as to what we should see and do around SC.

Well, you can come and see me, and I'll take you flying. :D Hilton Head is here if you like the beach and golf, Myrtle beach too. The Mighty 8ths museum is in Savannah. There's probably some other stuff too. :D

Well, you can come and see me, and I'll take you flying. :D Hilton Head is here if you like the beach and golf, Myrtle beach too. The Mighty 8ths museum is in Savannah. There's probably some other stuff too. :D

Great suggestions. I'll take a rain check on that offer :yesnod:

I'd suggest Katama airstrip on Martha's Vineyard. One of my favorite grass strips, right on the beach. No need to rent a car, great inexpensive bus system on the island that locals and visitors all use.

Not too far away, great flying destination, lots of other places to pop into, and the ladies will love it! What's not to like?

Cool place. But not a lot of info on it as far as the number of planes on site... Just wondering what my daughter would do on the island apart from the beach... Once you're there, you're there unless you leave the island.

Think I'd rather rent a car and move around to enjoy the scenery a bit.

Central Florida.
Send the kids to Disney World, get your seaplane rating at Jack Brown's.

Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center. A day there then off to Universal or Disney. Lots of things to do in Fla.
You might try the Outer Banks. The Wright Memorial is a great place to visit. Beaches, stores, Elizabethan Gardens, the Lost Colony, great sea food. You're only 90 miles from Va and many other museums, lighthouses, airports. If you are flying, lots of places to go there.

Owls Head Museum in Maine(never been myself) it is on the coast all manner of touristy beachy and boaty things. Except swimming(cold). Twitchells airport has a couple of grass runways and a busy float operation. Nothing for non pilots around Twitchell's that I am aware of but you can make em suffer or drop them off somewhere.
Glider add on in Hawaii? Or Minden, NV. Good luck.

Definitely not Oshkosh! No big crowds, no lines, no waiting please.

Small grass strips, airpark are more like it. Somewhere we can relax too...

I understand your concern however this was first year the he man woman haters club allowed my wife and 8 year old girl to attend. They loved it!!!!! Gonna be hard to keep me home now.

Anything in the Lake George area or upper NY state lakes by any chance?

Cool place. But not a lot of info on it as far as the number of planes on site... Just wondering what my daughter would do on the island apart from the beach... Once you're there, you're there unless you leave the island.

The parking areas typically fill up in season at Katama, so plenty of planes to look at. You can also head over to MVY for the heavier iron that lands on pavement.

You can do your own research on Martha's Vineyard, but it's a big island and there are plenty of things to do. Besides, you can hop in the plane and visit Nantucket, Cape Cod, and block island. Like I said, no need to rent a car as plenty of scenery can be seen from busses or renting bikes.

Maybe something a little different.....

Seattle.

There is a downtown seaplane outfit. The Cub Crafters shop is a very pretty flight away in Yakima. The Boeing assembly line is in Everett. Many lakes and Puget Sound.

There are some residential air parks there (e.g. Toledo, WA), but they aren't much to look at. The local scenery is, however, unparalleled. The view of the devastated area west of Mt. St. Helens from the air is indescribable, even with photos.

Lake George is a great place to visit and have a nice time, but you won't find much aviation themed activities going on.

First, here's what I'd like to visit over a period of 7-8 days.

-grass fields / small airstrips / local airports
Somebody already mentioned Twitchells Airport(3B5) in Turner, Maine. It has pavement, grass, and sea plane base. There's the little Merrymeeting Airport (08B) in Bowdoinham, ME.
-great aviation communities and/or residential airpark
Brunswick, ME has KBXM(former Naval Air Station; not far from Twitchells and Merrymeeting; not far from Thomas Point Beach, or Reid State Park on the ocean; 40 or so miles from Rockland(KRKD) and Owls Head Transportation Museum; historic Lobster Festival is in Rockland the first weekend in August.
-a fly-inn would be great if it fits into our schedule
-float plane operation/base/lake
Twitchells already mentioned.

Keeping in mind that the "girls" must have something to do not too far away, or along our route. A beach, lake, resort or water park would be great things to have near by.

What would be great is finding a place where we can rent a home or a lake cottage (something nice) and visit around this central point every day.

You get the pictures, now, where do you guys think I can find all this ?

HR (relatively nearby all of the above)
(The system played a trick on me. In the first red line, Merrymeeting Airport is 08B; don't know why the funny symbol appeared.

Brunswick is a historic college town(Bowdoin College has the MacMillan Arctic Museum; also, a wonderful art museum; and Maine State Music Theater(Actors Equity performers)

Last edited:
http://www.flyinn.co.nz/

If you can swing it, it is a guaranteed lifetime memory. You're based at Geordie Hill in the center of the south island and each day fly off in a different direction. The scenery is fantastic, there is a jet boat ride, walking through the Middle Earth forest, a fishing trip ... http://www.flyinn.co.nz/passenger-perspective/

For years Matt and Jo have had a booth at OSH, so I assume that they will be there this year as well. I'd encourage you (and anyone who's interested) to stop by to see their photo albums and have a visit. If you are the least bit tempted to write the check, do it! You'll never regret it.

(I'm just a customer who became, like all customers probably, a friend. No economic interest.)

I second Brad's PIREP for Katama. I did it as a day trip with the family, but I think we could have spent more time. We didn't hit the beach, and barely scratched the surface of Edgartown. There's a Waco that gives biplane rides out of Katama.

As for your daughter, how old is she? The Farm Institute is right next to Katama, and does a farm stand, a corn maze and educational exhibits. Can easily occupy at least a day -- you can have lunch at the airport diner diner. Plenty of shops to peek in and out of; golf if that's your thing. Like I said, I only saw Edgartown by bus, never saw Vineyard Haven.

All great suggestions again.

Thx for making me aware of flyinn.co.nz Unbelivable scenery out there. Would be hard to do with the family but it's definitely something to consider with a pilot buddy or something...

What about northern California or British Columbia?

Sept 2012, we did an 8 day road trip in BC & the Rockies. Best trip ever. Unfortunately, we were on a schedule visiting 7 hotels/resort in 8 days... I saw some amazing small airstrip which made me dream... Wish I could go back and take my time... I remember one near Whistler... another one mid way between Vancouver and Kelowna...

... flyinn.co.nz Unbelivable scenery out there. Would be hard to do with the family ...
Not at all. You and a guide pilot in front, GF and daughter in the back and they will love it. The itinerary is highly customizable; you might fly to Queenstown one day and enjoy the plethora of tourist stuff there. Or drop GF and daughter there for the day and go fly grass strips.

Lake George is one of my favorite places in the world. Unfortunately sparse aviation wise. There is a fly in resort on the shores of Lake Champlain, Sugarbush Soaring is a great place full of aviation not to far away. Also a balloon festival in Glens Falls I think in the spring. Bunch of places to fly a paraglider if you swing that way.

Not at all. You and a guide pilot in front, GF and daughter in the back and they will love it. The itinerary is highly customizable; you might fly to Queenstown one day and enjoy the plethora of tourist stuff there. Or drop GF and daughter there for the day and go fly grass strips.

Once there, not worried. But the 14 hour flight... that worries me a bit. We just came back from Jamaica a week ago, and the 4hr flight was just long enough for my daughter! She's almost 6 BTW.

Lake George is one of my favorite places in the world. Unfortunately sparse aviation wise. There is a fly in resort on the shores of Lake Champlain, Sugarbush Soaring is a great place full of aviation not to far away. Also a balloon festival in Glens Falls I think in the spring. Bunch of places to fly a paraglider if you swing that way.

What are the things you should see while while in Lake George? Where are the hot spots? Never been there unfortunately... But heard of it.

Could certainly visit Sugarbush Soaring and give the glider's a try! Visit the Boston area for a day... etc..

What are the things you should see while while in Lake George? Where are the hot spots? Never been there unfortunately... But heard of it.

Could certainly visit Sugarbush Soaring and give the glider's a try! Visit the Boston area for a day... etc..
Fair warning LG to Boston is about a 5 hour drive. LG is a very pretty and clean lake. The Southern end is full of 1950's esque motels, T-shirt and junk shops, amusement parks and such. The North end is a few campgrounds(island camping as well) private homes, rentals, from shacks to very very nice. Nothing terribly tacky on the North end. There are historical forts dating back to the wars of Canadian aggression(kidding I kid.) Family place is right near here. Boat rentals are available all over the lake. Southern end has parasailing operations and largish dinner cruise boats as well. There was a guy on the purple board involved in float training just over the border in VT, heck you could hire him to give you lessons up and down the lake. LG is legal for noncommercial floatplane operations not a FAR so no idea if flight instruction counts as commercial under that rule.

Attachments

• GOPR2752.JPG
    GOPR2752.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • GOPR2814.JPG
    GOPR2814.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • GOPR2823.JPG
    GOPR2823.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Once there, not worried. But the 14 hour flight... that worries me a bit. We just came back from Jamaica a week ago, and the 4hr flight was just long enough for my daughter! She's almost 6 BTW.

I've taken a four year old on a 12+ hour flight. SFO - NRT.

It's not as bad as you think. Given a good international entertainment system, they can be kept occupied for some time. Even the 60+ minute train ride to Tokyo went well.

The biggest issue was the time difference, but that's several hours less for NZ than it was for Japan.

The scenery in NZ, especially on the South Island, is much better than even the promos suggest. Make sure you make it to the west coast. It's extremely isolated, but very much worth it.

FWIW, if the weather allows it (unlikely -- it's rain forest), there is an airstrip at the east end of Milford Sound.

Fair warning LG to Boston is about a 5 hour drive. LG is a very pretty and clean lake. The Southern end is full of 1950's esque motels, T-shirt and junk shops, amusement parks and such. The North end is a few campgrounds(island camping as well) private homes, rentals, from shacks to very very nice. Nothing terribly tacky on the North end. There are historical forts dating back to the wars of Canadian aggression(kidding I kid.) Family place is right near here. Boat rentals are available all over the lake. Southern end has parasailing operations and largish dinner cruise boats as well. There was a guy on the purple board involved in float training just over the border in VT, heck you could hire him to give you lessons up and down the lake. LG is legal for noncommercial floatplane operations not a FAR so no idea if flight instruction counts as commercial under that rule.

Again, thx very much for the info, it'll be usefull, if not in 2014, in 2015!

BTW, just remembered a friend having only great things to say about Basin Harbor Club in VT. It's on Lake Champlain... There's an airstrip right on site.

Back