Aviation SiriusXM promos?

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
For the past 7 or so years I've had SiruisXM service in my car. Started with a 3 mo free introduction that came with the car and then continued on promo basis. I call them every time promo expires and get another promo. First I was just trying to cancel it and they'd come back at me with a few offers. Later I simply asked for the same promo and got it every time. Usually it translates to about $5-6/mo for "Select"(standard rate is around $20) for a year or 6 months. Yesterday I called to really cancel it. I don't drive much these days so there is hardly any sense to pay for it until pandemic is over at least. They again made a few offers, I said no. Finally they basically offered me that same 3 month free introduction(Premium with internet streaming). I just cannot escape it. :).

Anyway, the question is, do they do the same thing with aviation service? As I understand there are 2: weather and radio. Any subscribers here to give insight? I don't have a plane, so this is just a curiosity question

The radio only subscription works the same way. The weather is nope.

You don't need a plane to get it. The Garmin portables have the ability to receive XM radio. I have it had it on my 396, 596, and now on my 696. You'd have to check the Aera to confirm they didn't remove it, but why would they?

You would need an aux input on the plane you're renting's audio panel or some other means to get it to the headsets. Mine is hardwired to ship power and the audio panel.

The radio only subscription works the same way. The weather is nope.

You don't need a plane to get it. The Garmin portables have the ability to receive XM radio. I have it had it on my 396, 596, and now on my 696. You'd have to check the Aera to confirm they didn't remove it, but why would they?

You would need an aux input on the plane you're renting's audio panel or some other means to get it to the headsets. Mine is hardwired to ship power and the audio panel.

Yeah, I don't care so much about getting XM in flight :). I don't even care about it in the car very much. They just keep giving me offers I cannot refuse. Radio-promo/weather-nope is basically what I expected it to be. Thanks.

Main issue with the promo is they don't include the channel that plays nothing but

I used to be against paying for XM, then the dealership gave me a free trial after a service. Since then I've been doing the routine threaten to cancel and get it cheap for a year thing. We are in a rural part of the country, and only have a handful of FM radio stations available with little variety. Plus its nice on long road trips to have the same stations available no matter where you are, versus having to scan to find a new station in range, if you are even in a part of the country that has an FM station in range.

In the plane I use to travel in it has the full XM suite of weather and radio. The weather was damn handy before the advent of ADS-B, and the radio helped break up the monotony of 4+ hour flights.

Back