Aviation Seminars Intro

David Butler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David Butler
Hey Folks!

My name is David and I’m the owner of Aviation Seminars. We’re making an effort to better reach out to the Aviation Community to see where help is needed in FAA Test Prep, Ground Training and Flight Instructor Renewal.

If any of you have questions or want guidance, I have a team of highly qualified instructors who can help answer questions. Feel free to post here or send a PM.

Hey Folks!

My name is David and I’m the owner of Aviation Seminars. We’re making an effort to better reach out to the Aviation Community to see where help is needed in FAA Test Prep, Ground Training and Flight Instructor Renewal.

If any of you have questions or want guidance, I have a team of highly qualified instructors who can help answer questions. Feel free to post here or send a PM.
That's great that you are offering your services for free here. Thank you.

That's great that you are offering your services for free here. Thank you.

th

Happy to do it! Advice is always free :)
Ok. Weigh in on this one. You file a flight plan, KSEE to KLGB. You get a clearance. "Cleared to the Long Beach Airport, fly runway heading for vectors to OCN V23 SLI direct, maintain 6000, blah blah blah. Somewhere, say around DANAH you go NORDO. You're in the goo, you know they are using Rwy 30. You do all the usual check all your radios, try to talk to anyone you can and your cell phone is dead and squawk all the usual stuff. At no time have you been given any amendments to your clearance. Whadda you do?

I’ve deferred this question to my Chief Instructor…He says he doesn’t know how you know they are using RW30. Are you listening to other traffic going into LGB? Or were you issued an EFC to the ILS RWY 30? Either way, you were cleared to LGB. If able you would squawk 7600 and continue to SLI then R196 Direct GUNEY (IAF) make the procedure turn to intercept the LGB LOC and execute the ILS RWY 30 at LGB. Land, taxi to the FBO, grab a cup of coffee and call to have your radio looked at . . . .

I’ve deferred this question to my Chief Instructor…He says he doesn’t know how you know they are using RW30. Are you listening to other traffic going into LGB? Or were you issued an EFC to the ILS RWY 30? Either way, you were cleared to LGB. If able you would squawk 7600 and continue to SLI then R196 Direct GUNEY (IAF) make the procedure turn to intercept the LGB LOC and execute the ILS RWY 30 at LGB. Land, taxi to the FBO, grab a cup of coffee and call to have your radio looked at . . . .
ATIS, hearing others, whatever. Once again, "At no time have you been given any amendments to your clearance," therefore no change in clearance limit short of the airport, so no EFC. By that time I'm hungry, cup of coffee ain't gonna cut it, I need Chow. Is this the answer he would give a student preparing for a checkride if a DE asked the same question

Yes, that’s the response to the examiner if presented with that scenario...now if the situation changes, the answer may not be correct.

Yes, that’s the response to the examiner if presented with that scenario...now if the situation changes, the answer may not be correct.
Ok. What I'm leading to is this. Clearance limit is Long Beach Airport. FAR 91.185 (c) (3) (ii) states that "If the clearance limit is not a fix from which an approach begins, leave the clearance limit at the expect-further-clearance time if one has been recieved, or if none has been recieved, upon arrival over the clearance limit, and proceed to a fix from which an approach begins and commence descent or descent and approach as close as possible to the estimated time of arrival as calculated from the filed or amended (with ATC) estimated time en route." On this flight The Long Beach Airport was the clearance limit and it is "...not a fix from which an approach begins..." Whats his take on that?

Wouldn't the "SLI then R196 Direct GUNEY (IAF) make the procedure turn to intercept the LGB LOC and execute the ILS RWY 30 at LGB" meet the criteria of "...and proceed to a fix from which an approach begins and commence descent or descent and approach as close as possible..."?

Back