Aviation safety magazine

mtnflyr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mtnflyr
Holy crap what scam. Got my free magazine, thought it was trash so there it went. Fast forward a few months and I get a notice from a debt collector about a debt..low and behold it's a bill from aviation safety. Obviously they couldn't do anything if they tried but I called them and tried to get them to explain it. They wouldn't, other than the debt collector is in house, so aviation safety and 'north shore agency'( the debt collector) are the same. She removed my info like she has had this conversation a 1000 times.

What a terrible business. Send something free, then make people think they need to pay so 'no further action will be taken'

Anybody else get this crap?

Bizarre... how is a $20 magazine sub worth a collector's time?

Were you still receiving the magazine after throwing the first one away?

Buried in the fine print of the "get a free magazine" promotional piece is a statement that you are buying a subscription unless you tell them you don't want it.

It is the Belvoir way. Ignore it. It will go away with no repercussions to you.

I hate Belvoir/Palm Coast for their reprehensible subscription practices. They reguarly send out "your subscription is expiring" notices even before you get your first copy.

The worst however is Conde Nast. I'll never EVER patronize them again. They were THE most aggressive bunch of pricks when I decided not to renew my Architectural Digest subscription years ago.

I subscribed to Aviation Safety for a while. It's kind of a meh magazine. I never found the articles to be particularly insightful. Way better than the inane drivel in IFR Refresher but not as good as IFR or some of their others.

What the whole Belvoir magazines suffer from is lack of a decent contributors. They have a small pool they draw from and you get the same thing over and over again.

What the whole Belvoir magazines suffer from is lack of a decent contributors. They have a small pool they draw from and you get the same thing over and over again.
Kinda like Flying under Mac and Richard "Twins will kill ya" Collins.

I subscribed to Aviation Safety for a while. It's kind of a meh magazine. I never found the articles to be particularly insightful. Way better than the inane drivel in IFR Refresher but not as good as IFR or some of their others.

Clearly that was not when *I* was editor!!! :)

The reason the Belvoir magazines suffer from a lack of decent contributors is because of the way their contract is set up with the editors. Rather than establish a freelance budget like real magazines do, the cost of contributors comes right out of the editor's pocket. And there's not much wiggle room to begin with.

Whenever I get a free offer,I read the find print wich ususlly says,if you don’t want the subscription,you have to notify them and cancel your subscription. Seems they automatically consider you a customer when you accept the offer. If you want a free issue ,pick one up at an airshow.

Clearly that was not when *I* was editor!!! :)
No, it was the Meredith Saini days. There were wrong and sometimes dangerous articles. The particularly inane one I recall was one on "Grass Strip IFR." Now I live on a grass airstrip, and I fly IFR. Now I know the grass isn't the operative part but a bunch of procedures and hints apply to any airport with no tower or published approach. I expected information on how to get clearances out of remote places, how to deal with long distance plans into lesser known places, the issues with finding alternates, etc..

Absolutely nothing of the sort. It said essentially, "Find an airport nearby with an ILS and go there instead." A complete waste of space.

Back