Aviation - Related Videos or Other Electronic Media on the Internet

Seems to be a different topic, but no less significant:
Note: Electronic media posted on a video Web site does not automatically constitute a commercial operation or commercial purpose, or other non-hobby or non-recreational use.

So be careful posting videos of / about / from your drone. Seems about 75%. Of this AC is about UAS rather than model aircraft or manned aircraft videos.

General exception: blatant, dangerous violations of FARs.

Note: like the pilot buzzing a Texas beach at 20' agl, making people dive for cover, the pilot doesn't have to post or even know it was posted. This genius received a thoroughly deserved Emergency Revocation.

I seem to remember someone saying if a video is posted they were a "commercial" operation. :dunno:

The interesting thing is that they don't actually say that royalty payments are acceptable, just that the act of posting in itself is. Which leaves the door open both ways. However, since we already know that posting without payments is legal, it sounds like a subtle signal that "minor" payments may be acceptable (on a PPL or non 135).

There was quite a discussion of this on Facebook. The conclusion: It's all just a cover so the feds can spend all day watching YouTube videos without fear of retribution. :)

But seriously, I wonder where this will lead?

There was quite a discussion of this on Facebook. The conclusion: It's all just a cover so the feds can spend all day watching YouTube videos without fear of retribution. :)

But seriously, I wonder where this will lead?

I'm guessing this is almost exclusively aimed at sUAS operators. They think it is perfectly safe to fly thousands of feet into the sky as long as they're five miles from an airport. With the explosion in quadcopter sales, this is becoming a very serious issue.

I'm guessing this is almost exclusively aimed at sUAS operators. They think it is perfectly safe to fly thousands of feet into the sky as long as they're five miles from an airport. With the explosion in quadcopter sales, this is becoming a very serious issue.
Agree. I've seen video of our beach taken from a drone that could only have been flying off the departure end of Rwy 12 -- the most commonly used runway at our island airport. I routinely do approaches into and out of that airport, and it scares the bejeezus out of me to think that one of those rich condo guys is hovering his quad copter out there, whilst sipping a mai tai on his balcony.

I don't want to outlaw them, but, damn, how else are we going to prevent a major accident?

I don't want to outlaw them, but, damn, how else are we going to prevent a major accident?

Education, and as much as I resent increased government oversight, regulation. It would be fine if all UAV guys would fly below 300 feet and stay in Class G, but that'll never happen.

Yeah, that was always a goofy claim that a monetized YouTube video makes it a commercial operation.

The FAA has also said if you fly to an air show and they give you a free hamburger, that's commercial, too.

Education ...

Good luck with that!!
Let me know how it turns out.
Look at what happened with the metric system. Let's face it, the general populace is simply too stupid to be taught anything useful.

Good luck with that!!
Let me know how it turns out.
Look at what happened with the metric system. Let's face it, the general populace is simply too stupid to be taught anything useful.

Oh, it's far worse than that, the general public does not feel they should have to learn anything at all.

Back