Aviation related things to do near COS

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Will be heading to Colorado Springs with the family to visit my in-laws in a couple weeks looking for some aviation related stuff to do. I have been to the National Museum of WWII Aviation and will probably go again as my father in law hasn't been and wants to go. Any fly ins or other events within reasonable driving distance? Any other ideas?

Let us know dates and the CO-POA contingent is always ready for lunch, dinner, etc. Stone Church Inn in Castle Rock is a good restaurant midway between the Springs and Denver.

Depending on traffic, Wings over the Rockies museum in north Denver. I was just there this week, new exhibits. If after July 20, the KAPA part of Wings will open (south side of airport).
Unlike the Naval Academy, the USAF Academy doesn't do formation and march to mess everyday, but twice a week IIRC.
The USAFA chapel, of course.
Restaurant just off the west side of KCOS.

Not aviation, but the Olympic facility at the old Ent AFB field.

For flyins, check the Colorado Pilots website.

Pueblo airport, the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
https://pwam.org/
Much easier to fly down there than drive. Museum is on airport grounds, so it's an easy walk. I haven't been to the restaurant at the airport since it reopened, but reports are that it's pretty good.

Watch out for USAF beginners at both PUB and in the COS area.

Unfortunately flying in commercial to Denver. Guessing it would take a while to get out there in the L16 I have been flying. :)

Don't forget COS is near some of the best mountain airports, Aspen, Telluride, Glenwood, etc.. at least go take a dual flight to the west.

Much easier to fly down there than drive. Museum is on airport grounds, so it's an easy walk. I haven't been to the restaurant at the airport since it reopened, but reports are that it's pretty good.

Watch out for USAF beginners at both PUB and in the COS area.
Guess I assumed he was driving. Having a plane opens many other possiblities

Back