Aviation Quotes

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
Anyone have any good aviation quotes? I just heard a good one, by Magnum PI of all people.

"In a world filled with obstacles, knowing how to fly, can get you a long way"

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

Shortest way between two points is a straight line............ Try that in a car...:yes:;)

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

The three worst things in an airplane:
Altitude above you, runway behind you and fuel in the truck

I thought it was "Altitude above you, runway behind you, and a half a second ago"

I thought it was "Altitude above you, runway behind you, and a half a second ago"

Nah, Altitude above you, runway behind you and gas on the ground.

Another one, "There I was....."

Cheers

Anyone have any good aviation quotes? I just heard a good one, by Magnum PI of all people.

"In a world filled with obstacles, knowing how to fly, can get you a long way"

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

The sky's not the limit, the ground is.

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

I love this one. I think it's been my gmail status for approximately ever.

Also:

"Asking someone why they love to fly is almost like asking someone why they like Picasso. The beauty is the fact that I can’t really describe it. It is something you have to behold. Flying takes you into another dimension, literally. As ground based people we walk this way and we drive that way, but in the airplane, we go [up] and we add an entire dimension. We see, feel and experience things that people who don’t fly will never know."

--Barry Schiff in One Six Right

Leonardo da Vinci

Like this I was watching fireworks and find myself starring at the planes flying around the show..

Time to spare? Go by air.

― Leonardo da Vinci

I've seen the above quote a lot on the net. The only problem is that there appears to be no supporting evidence that da Vinci ever wrote it or anything like it in any language.

I've seen the above quote a lot on the net. The only problem is that there appears to be no supporting evidence that da Vinci ever wrote it or anything like it in any language.

It never made sense to me. Though he made drawings of flying machines, I don't believe he ever actually flew. Even the Montgolfier brothers hot air balloon came 300 years after da Vinci.

Last edited:
Take offs are optional.
Landings are mandatory. :)

It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Take offs are optional.
Landings are mandatory. :)

"I can teach anyone to take off and fly for $50.00. It's the landings that's gonna cost you $8950.00"

--- Any well seasoned flight instructor

A mile of highway will take you a mile.
A mile of runway will take you anywhere.

That is DEFINITELY gonna leave a mark.

"KMA, David"

--Tim Winters as he taxied to the parking area at Gaston's

Hi All,

One I've always thought of when the weather was marginal....

"It's better to be on the ground wishing that you were in the air, rather than the other way around." :)

Cheers

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

I better wake up my passenger, he is never going to see a landing like this again.

It never made sense to me. Though he made drawings of flying machines, I don't believe he ever actually flew. Even the Montgolfier brothers hot air balloon came 300 years after da Vinci.

I found the following discussion about the veracity of the alleged da Vinci quote on the da Vinci Wikipedia talk page for quotes attributed to him:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Leonardo_da_Vinci

According to that page, as best anyone can tell, it may have actually been written by John H. Secondari for a TV documentary about da Vinci. Or a figment of Ben Bova's imagination. Seems to be the next step is for someone to locate and review the episode in which the quote is alleged to have appeared.

In flight training magazine article -
"An ounce of common sense can outweigh a ton of variations"

They do say it was a chess related comment by Tartakower but it relates.

Never touch any switch that isn't shiny.

Back