Aviation Podcast Review

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi everyone,

As promised, here is the review of the four aviation podcasts I've found: 7600 On Air, The Pilotcast, General Aviation Weekly, and Fly With Me. All are available through the iTunes Music Store for free.

The Pilotcast
Number of episodes available: 2
Average length: One minute
Frequency: Unknown
This one is hardly even off the ground. Two intro episodes of about a minute each. Not even worth looking at... Yet.

7600 On Air
Number of episodes: 7
Average length: 26 minutes
Frequency: Every week or two, irregular.
7600 On Air is a series of interviews by a 25-year old pilot. The concept is good - He interviews a different person each episode and concentrates on safety and learning new things. Unfortunately, that's about all I can say about it that's good. Some of his interviewees seem to have problems understanding his questions so they answer a different question but he never goes back to get them to answer the one he actually asked in the first place. He also doesn't have very good skill at interviewing. There are a lot of awkward pauses, "um"s, and the like. Finally, sound quality is awful. It sounds like he's recording onto a really bad mini-tape recorder in his bathroom. Whatever he's using to record the phone conversations actually sounds better except for the 3rd episode, where it sounds like a really bad cell phone connection or something, almost not even understandable. There are also bad cuts. He needs better recording equipment and he needs to spend more time editing and preparing for interviews as well. If they weren't talking about flying I would have turned it off.

General Aviation Weekly
Number of episodes: 1 (released Monday 8-1)
Average length: 30 minutes
Frequency: Presumably, weekly.
GA Weekly seems to be another interview-based program, but it's hard to tell for sure with only one episode out so far. While it's done much better than 7600 On Air, it had many of the same problems but not quite as bad. Sound quality and editing were merely "OK" (and the interview was not done over the phone). The one episode was an interview with a UND aviation student and they mostly talked about the UND program. Interesting, but I didn't really learn a whole lot. Hopefully these guys will also move towards a focus on safety and/or learning about different parts of the aviation world.

Fly With Me
Number of episodes: 7
Average length: 20-25 minutes
Frequency: Approximately every 2-3 weeks or so.
Now this is what an aviation podcast should be! It's done by a "pilot for a major US Airline" and is filled with flying stories from pilots and flight attendants, cockpit conversation, and commentary. Each episode seems to have a different concentration, so it's not just random stories - They are well-designed segments. Sound quality is excellent. Editing is also excellent, with smooth cuts and short interludes. There's usually some music, and the ending of each episode is quite fitting. The episode (#5) about retirement is particularly good. I dare you not to have a lump in your throat, a tear in your eye, as well as a big grin, some laughs, and maybe a "woohoo!" after that one. :yes: Don't listen to it first, though! All of the episodes are excellent, that one is exceptional. Five stars, or however many I can give out. This podcast is everything that the others aren't.

Every one of you should go download iTunes if you don't already have it, get on the store, and subscribe to Fly With Me. If you have an iPod, you can put it on there and listen to it on the way to work in your car or something. Beats the heck out of the morning news. Too bad they don't release it more often.

flyingcheesehead said:
Hi everyone,

As promised, here is the review of the four aviation podcasts I've found: 7600 On Air, The Pilotcast, General Aviation Weekly, and Fly With Me. All are available through the iTunes Music Store for free.

The Pilotcast
This one is hardly even off the ground. Two intro episodes of about a minute each. Not even worth looking at... Yet.

The first regular episode of The Pilotcast is online.

You can listen or download it directly even without a podcatcher like ITunes.
http://www.pilotcast.com

Please let us know what you think.

flyingcheesehead said:
The Pilotcast

OK, the first "real" episode of The Pilotcast is out - I think it must have been downloading in the background as I was writing the above this morning!

So, change that to one episode, about 45 minutes. I listened to the whole thing already. The two hosts introduced themselves as Pilot Dan from Connecticut and Pilot Mike from the Chicago area. I suspected when I heard that, and confirmed a few minutes ago, that these guys are none other than our own Dan Corjulo and Mike Andrews! :yes: :)

Obviously there was plenty of content in a program of this length, and it sounds like they plan to do it weekly. The first episode included commentary from Mike on his trip to Oshkosh, which also included an interview with a Garmin guy about the 396. There was also a news-type section. Lots to listen to!

Overall, I give The Pilotcast a "B" to Fly With Me's "A" but it was the first episode after all. (Even Fly With Me was a bit rough the first time.) And, after listening to podcasts for a couple of weeks now, I got this idea in my head for an aviation podcast - But this is it. You guys beat me to it... Nice work! :yes:

So, for everyone who downloaded iTunes at my suggestion :rofl: and subscribed to Fly With Me, go back and subscribe to The Pilotcast as well.

For those of you who still don't know what the heck a Podcast is, think of it like this: It's TiVo for audio only you have almost unlimited programming and you can't actually watch/listen to it live. Despite the name "pod"cast, you don't need an iPod. However, I think they make great entertainment for driving, so an iPod isn't a bad idea either (you just have to update your podcasts in iTunes and then sync the iPod.)

For those of you who still don't know what the heck iTunes is... Take the bag off your head! ;) OK, just kidding. http://www.itunes.com/

Enjoy!

I just wanted to let you know that I have a podcast out called Hangar49. We try to keep the podcast under 30 minutes. We discuss aviation music, movies, books, fly-ins, and various other events. You can check it out at www.hangar49.info or you can find us on iTunes and Zune by searching for Hangar49.

Thanks,

Jim

I just wanted to let you know that I have a podcast out called Hangar49. We try to keep the podcast under 30 minutes. We discuss aviation music, movies, books, fly-ins, and various other events. You can check it out at www.hangar49.info or you can find us on iTunes and Zune by searching for Hangar49.

Thanks,

Jim

I've listened to all of the episodes - it's a good show!

Thanks PJ!
Dang you post fast. :D

Jim

Just a matter of happening to sign on at the right time.

Holy necro, Batman!

Back