Aviation is closed off to outsiders... and insiders

Well, your original post gave the identifier as '2WY' only, and that one didn't do anything.

I'm sure its pretty there, but don't expect too many picknickers at your airport restaurant :)

Hmmm..

Picknickers dont usually go to the restaurant, which I didnt say I was going to include, but one can never rule anything out.:smile:

Last edited:
Hey Ben, here's an idea... why not put up a "How to" page that details the process of how you got the FAA approval? I, for one, would have absolutely no clue how to do it, but might be more inclined to if I had a resource that went through the details.

Thats a good idea.. I will try to get some time to put together a brief explaination on the ins & outs of getting it all put together. I will call it the T&T, = Troy & Ted diaries,. :rofl::yesnod:.

Tailwinds.

Ben.

Oh, you'll be fine. If you loose a couple of pounds and take off with 5 gal in each main.

(isn't the Aztruck one of the better short-field twins ?)

Well, seeing as I'm currently 6'2" and 150 lbs and my doctor told me if I lose any more weight I'll die, I don't think option 1 will help. 5 gallons in each main is about 15-20 minutes of fuel with takeoff.

The Aztec is actually a good short field twin. I really love taking off with it on a cold day with half fuel and just me on board, it's a blast. However at 8,000 ft there's a combination of having about 70% power available and the higher GS to get the required IAS for takeoff, and 3000 ft wouldn't be enough. Sea level? No problem, even at gross. Maybe on a cold day with just me and say 1/4 fuel. If there was a nice cliff at the edge of the strip, that might be an intriguing option and make it possible.

JATOs.

Ok, so the loosing weight thing is out. Your doc has a point there :yesnod:.

What do you have an Aztec for ? You are one of the few pilots who could fuel up an Acclaim and still be under gross.

I have an Aztec because you can't fit 47 dogs in a Mooney at one time. :)

Ok Guys and Gals, here is the Readers Digest version of creating a new airport.

For the record I did the whole process myself by researching the whole thing on the internet.. I didn't use any professional help at all. I am not cheap, I am spending challenged. !<G>

Before the FAA will consider the application you need to be able to show them any and all local governing bodies are ok with the proposed idea.

This will come in many shapes and forms. Ie, zone the property for it, give the land a waiver, issue a conditional use permit, exempt it from aviation limitations, etc. I am sure it is addressed in other ways all around the country but bottom line is you need their blessing before the FAA will proceed.

In my case the path of least resistance was the CUP,= condition use permit. I needed three hearings in front of the zoning board, they then give their finding, observations and any public comments to the county commisioners, the county then set the item on the agenda for three more public hearings. That format is probably very similar for most jurisdictions.

On my applications reading before the Zoning board I was present to answer any questions. The initial reading was a fact finding mission by the board, the usual, who, what, where,when, why, are you sure kinda thing. The next two readings were just a formality. The zoning board then issued their finding to the commisioners.

My case was then put on the docket and three more hearings were scheduled. I attended all three of those too. First reading sailed right through,, so did the second one...

On the third and final hearing there was four items on the agenda that night and mine was the last one to be heard. There were probably 20 people in the public seating section... First case was called, it was passed and two people left the room. Second case was called, that one got into a pretty heated debate, it was denied, 10 people left the room... Third case was called and that one turned out to be a son of one of the board members wanting to put in a temporary gravel pit, it passed with the usual small town , " hey Bob, seeya at sunday dinner" chatter kinda thing.

Then there were 6..........................................

Me and my case and 5 other people who I had never seen before.:eek::yikes:.

They read my case, ask me if I had any additional things to add, I didn't, they ask for public comments. So here I am thinking the worse, the 5 are here to present their best case of 'not in my backyard' pent up anger.....

All 5 stand up IN FAVOR of my application. Three were local pilots, the other two were neighbors of my ranch. Gavel came down,, APPROVED..

The FAA process went kinda smooth, I filled out this form. http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa7480-1.pdf

I had to deal with the FAA office in Denver, a real nice lady, Marsha Hofer was my case worker, she explained all the things I needed to do, she scheduled the airspace study. That took a few months and then the charting office from DC called to ask if I wanted the runway placed on the sectional. Now, My small ranch is/was /kinda way out in the sticks and right under an airway with nothing but hostile terrain both ways. At that time I was in the Civil Air Patrol and for sure I wanted it both on the sectional and in the data base so all navigation databases could access it. I would rather have some pilot find a safe place to make an emergency landing and help him out then to meet the next of kin during a recovery excersize. But thats just me.:yesnod:

Tailwinds

Ben.

I may add that some states also require a permit at the state level for anything that is not a 'temporary landing strip'.

The need for those state permits tends to correlate with the presence of 'tall buildings' in the respective states.

For the states that require this, the process for an 'R' private strip tends to be pretty straightforward. The moment you want to make it public-use, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops (enviromental impact studies etc. the whole works that make public construction so expensive).

Anywhere but for a farm in the styx, the zoning aspect will be the biggest hurdle for a mapped strip. Around here, most folks just land in a 'linear hay-field'.

A great story, Ben, and sounds like other than a bunch of paperwork it wasn't that big of a deal.

Here's one question - were you using that area as an airport beforehand? i.e. were you keeping your plane there and flying it out of there as-is or did you not start doing that until you got the approval?

That would seem like the sort of story that should get put in AOPA or some other pilot magazine. It would be good to encourage others to get started doing this. While yours was probably comparatively easy being a small town, that's proof that the process can, in fact, be done.

A great story, Ben, and sounds like other than a bunch of paperwork it wasn't that big of a deal.

Here's one question - were you using that area as an airport beforehand? i.e. were you keeping your plane there and flying it out of there as-is or did you not start doing that until you got the approval?

That would seem like the sort of story that should get put in AOPA or some other pilot magazine. It would be good to encourage others to get started doing this. While yours was probably comparatively easy being a small town, that's proof that the process can, in fact, be done.

Some answers.

First.. This was 'before' 9-11 so it might make a difference now.. Big brother now wants ALOT more control over the who, what, where, when, why, and how come... The probability of more red tape is a no brainer. :dunno:

I was just starting to build my Zenith 801 kit plane so I didn't use the land as a runway before the approval. :nonod:.

My take on this is.............................

With all the airports disappearing now, aviation addicts need to step up and if possible establish a viable airport to perpetuate our addiction.

Hi, 'my name is Ben and I am an addict' :yesnod: :fingerwag:

Some answers.

First.. This was 'before' 9-11 so it might make a difference now.. Big brother now wants ALOT more control over the who, what, where, when, why, and how come... The probability of more red tape is a no brainer. :dunno:

I was just starting to build my Zenith 801 kit plane so I didn't use the land as a runway before the approval. :nonod:.

My take on this is.............................

With all the airports disappearing now, aviation addicts need to step up and if possible establish a viable airport to perpetuate our addiction.

Hi, 'my name is Ben and I am an addict' :yesnod: :fingerwag:

Good info, Ben.

A friend of my dad's is considering this in upstate NY (waaaaay upstate!)

The few ultralight aerodrome owner/operators in the area haven't been asked, and haven't told, apparently, and this seems to work for them.

Pretty much since I started flying I've thought how cool it would be to have my own airport. Now, but the time I started flying I'd already bought a house in this area and, as much as I hate my neighbors, I hate moving even more. Lesson learned. However when I do move, it would be an extremely attractive option to buy a place out of the way enough and with enough land to go ahead and make it a grass strip. At the altitudes I live in, 2500-4000 ft would be fine, depending on what sort of aircraft I want to get in and out of there and how much weight I'm expecting to have. If weight was a real concern I could hop over to a nearby airport (would need to do that for fuel anyway as long as I stay certified).

I agree that we need to step up and take part. I may bug you more if the circumstances present themselves that would make it worthwhile to attempt such an endeavor. I know that I for one would be very interested in a good alternative to the local airport.

I may bug you more if the circumstances present themselves that would make it worthwhile to attempt such an endeavor. I know that I for one would be very interested in a good alternative to the local airport.

You can do some of the footwork up front.

Look at the counties you are interested in and download their zoning and growth ordinances. Also, pull the zoning maps and figure out up front if a particular property may allow you to use it as an airstrip (in some zoning classifications you may not even need a conditional use permit, in others it may be a clearly prohibited use and the only way to get it done would be a re-zoning process which can take years).

Look at state law on this.

For once, the feds are the least of your worries :smile:

Obviously if I were to do something like that, I would do a decent sum of research before putting any money down or signing any papers on some land to buy. :)

Pretty much since I started flying I've thought how cool it would be to have my own airport. Now, but the time I started flying I'd already bought a house in this area and, as much as I hate my neighbors, I hate moving even more. Lesson learned. However when I do move, it would be an extremely attractive option to buy a place out of the way enough and with enough land to go ahead and make it a grass strip. At the altitudes I live in, 2500-4000 ft would be fine, depending on what sort of aircraft I want to get in and out of there and how much weight I'm expecting to have. If weight was a real concern I could hop over to a nearby airport (would need to do that for fuel anyway as long as I stay certified).

I agree that we need to step up and take part. I may bug you more if the circumstances present themselves that would make it worthwhile to attempt such an endeavor. I know that I for one would be very interested in a good alternative to the local airport.

KTED????

Not taken yet.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the summary of the process, Ben! I hope to get to use it on my central Texas retirement ranch some day!

AGREED!!!

Our local airport OZW, was all open until they expanded in the late 80's. Back then it was the 'drug running' thing, and because they accepted federal money, they had to fence the place in. The prople are friendly, but for those that aren't familiar with airports, it made it an obsticle. They expanded again in the 90's, and the security increased. Now, since 9/11, it has increased again. I used to have a card that would get me in any of the gates, now my card will only open the gate closest to my hanger. Once in, I could still drive or walk to anyplace on the airport and probably not be noticed.
Ah, progress!

Back