Aviation iPhone Cuff-Link

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
So for 2015, I said I was going to be more diligent about finding cool products that you can't get at other places, and are customizable.

So, enter the iPhone Cuff-Link made by a brilliant little lady in New York. I tried this in the airplane, and found it to be much more useful than a mount or a kneeboard for at-a-glance material like Checklists, weather, etc.

I know that I'll pick some winners, and some "no thank you's" and you guys at PoA have been really willing to provide feedback on our headsets, so I thought I would put this out as well.

What do you think, would you use it? Is the price right? Anything you don't like?

(edit: we'll be adding the iPhone 6, 6+ and Galaxy as soon as they're ready)

Last edited:
If I had an iPhone i would use it!

Reminds me of a skydiving altimeter mounting arrangement.

Price seems good.

Personally I like my iPad mini/notepad that just sits on my lap.

If I had an iPhone i would use it!
Awesome!

Reminds me of a skydiving altimeter mounting arrangement.
Price seems good.
Personally I like my iPad mini/notepad that just sits on my lap.

I do too, and this was an easy addition for just a quick look. I felt like I was able to add that glance to my wrist as a flow item rather than a task.

I find this to be a lot more convenient. Sticks to the window in the airplane and all the vehicles.

9608fa12b9c8cfc938cc8ab18d6cdb60.jpg

I find this to be a lot more convenient. Sticks to the window in the airplane and all the vehicles.

But that's a static mount, that may not be in the right place all the time. Plus, trying to use a static mounted phone or tablet in the mildest of turbulence is quite difficult.
With the wrist mount your phone and hand are moving together. Wouldn't that be more convenient, and a lot less workload?

Last edited:
But that's a static mount, that may not be in the right place all the time. Plus, trying to use a static mounted phone or tablet in the mildest of turbulence is quite difficult.

With the wrist mount your phone and hand are moving together. Wouldn't that be more convenient, and a lot less workload?

Not particularly any harder than operating the FAA certified static mounted radios in the panel... You just grab the edge and poke with a thumb. It isn't going anywhere. The iPad on my lap ends up on the floor where it's a lot harder to use. The phone stays put.

(Actually I have a yoke mount for the iPad but I upgraded iPads and haven't bought the new mount part for the mini yet. So it sits on my lap.)

I cringe when I see people static mounting all this portable junk in already small GA cockpits.

I think it's a great idea and will order one.

My iPhone doesn't need to be right in front of my face all the time except for the few seconds when I need it to be; I use it for IFR clearances and backup for my backup of Foreflight.
Also I lose things in pockets, pouches, seat backs or just laying around so this will help with that. Next I want a Velcro suit I can attach all my belongings to.

$30.00 bucks for a friggin strap, Cmon !!! I'll get one of my leftover racquetball sweatbands from the 80's and some velcro and bingo.

Seems quite useful for folks who use their phone in flight for various purposes, but I'm not sure about the price--granted, cell phone cases are bizarrely expensive to begin with, but at $15 to 20 I'd give it much more consideration.

I was listening to someone talk the other day about working on the development for Google Glass that will interface with ADS-B products. It will let you see traffic in 3-D space and also potentially bring the synthetic vision to life. Interesting stuff.

$30.00 bucks for a friggin strap, Cmon !!! I'll get one of my leftover racquetball sweatbands from the 80's and some velcro and bingo.

No problem, we carry a Food Stamp version for you. It's $.95 + shipping. It comes with the 3 high quality clear adhesive strips and no warranty. Here you go:
acbfeeda-fb1b-415e-b907-9504eafc1f0e_zpsf01d915f.jpg

Seems quite useful for folks who use their phone in flight for various purposes, but I'm not sure about the price--granted, cell phone cases are bizarrely expensive to begin with, but at $15 to 20 I'd give it much more consideration.

Thank you for providing a productive criticism on the price. That connection mechanism and rotor plate is actually pretty expensive to mfg. Although we hope to have larger bulk buys in the future that will hopefully bring the price down a bit.

Last edited:
I was listening to someone talk the other day about working on the development for Google Glass that will interface with ADS-B products. It will let you see traffic in 3-D space and also potentially bring the synthetic vision to life. Interesting stuff.

Sorry! Google has announced that Google Glass is dead.

-Skip

Cuff Link? Why is the product called that?

Before viewing the photos I was expecting to see a smartphone dangling from the sleeve of a French-cuff shirt.

Cuff Link? Why is the product called that?

Before viewing the photos I was expecting to see a smartphone dangling from the sleeve of a French-cuff shirt.

Her response to that was the link between the wrist, the latch and the technology. So link to your phone on your wrist. If I sell enough, I'll make her let me change it. Got any good ones?

Sorry! Google has announced that Google Glass is dead.

-Skip

So is the Nintendo Power Glove, but I just saw a story this week about how it's still being used. Okay, maybe it's not Google Glass, but something similar. Just thought I'd use that since it's something everyone is familiar with.

Her response to that was the link between the wrist, the latch and the technology. So link to your phone on your wrist. If I sell enough, I'll make her let me change it. Got any good ones?

Maybe use an anatomical term, like Carpus, Radius or Ulna. Something like iCarpus Wrist-Mount.

Something like iCarpus Wrist-Mount.

If I use a product with that name every day, then I might seize it.

(it's a strange pun reference.... think on it for a minute)

Maybe use an anatomical term, like Carpus, Radius or Ulna. Something like iCarpus Wrist-Mount.
That's not bad actually.

HAHAHA! Well played sir, well played. That just earned you a free beer.

Last edited:
Not particularly any harder than operating the FAA certified static mounted radios in the panel... You just grab the edge and poke with a thumb. It isn't going anywhere. The iPad on my lap ends up on the floor where it's a lot harder to use. The phone stays put.

(Actually I have a yoke mount for the iPad but I upgraded iPads and haven't bought the new mount part for the mini yet. So it sits on my lap.)

I agree that it's not any harder, but never-the-less the situation is still common. That's also true about stuff ending up in the floor otherwise. Which speaks well to both the static mount and the wrist mount. After watching a flying buddy crush his iPad screen with the rudder pedal, I made sure my stuff was strapped in somewhere.

I hate to break it to you but products such as this will very quickly be eclipsed with the roll-out of the iWatch.

HAHAHA! Well played sir, well played. That just earned you a free beer.

If it's gonna be a pun, it needs to be an it needs to be of the Hap variety.

This way, the humor just....

I prefer the conventional Ram mount....
Maybe you should sell a wrist strap for the Garmin 696/796 line. And a head mount for the XM antenna. LOL!!!

(it's a strange pun reference.... think on it for a minute)

Carpe diem = seize the day?

Dang, that was a tough pun to figure out. Do I get any points for that?

Anyway, if you want an iCarpus to hold your iPhone, it turns out that you can buy one already. Just noticed it when searching Amazon. It is a folding stand to prop up a mobile phone. It looks like a decent product, too, although I see no connection to a wrist, so I'm not sure why they took that name.

Wow, on Skymall even. Didn't they just file bankruptcy like...today? :)
I know it's not practical for every day walking around, but that's not my goal fortunately. My initial little tests in the airplane with it are proving out really well.

When my workload is high, and I'm using my iPad to do this, while the avionics do that. I'm finding that it is freaking awesome to grab quick info without disturbing the other devices to do it.

Last edited:
Wow, on Skymall even. Didn't they just file bankruptcy like...today? :)
I know it's not practical for every day walking around, but that's not my goal fortunately. My initial little tests in the airplane with it are proving out really well.

When my workload is high, and I'm using my iPad to do this, while the avionics do that. I'm finding that it is freaking awesome to grab quick info without disturbing the other devices to do it.

Yep. They filed.

It looks handy actually. I don't use a phone though

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back