Aviation Insurance

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
It pays to shop around. After having been with one agency for a bunch of years I thought I'd scout the market. Avemco quote for four named pilots was about $600 more than my expiring policy. AOPA quote was around $300 more than current policy.

I called several agencies, one of which was more into discussing my circumstances rather than simply quoting for a new account for four pilots. During continuing correspondence with above, I received an email invoice for renewal of my existing policy; it went down $18.00. Interesting! I forwarded it to the new prospect from which I had yet to receive a quote. After several days, having sent a signed Letter of Authority for that agent to seek quotes, I received the result. Not only was the quote nearly $300.00 less than my renewal quote, but IT WAS FROM THE SAME CARRIER as my current policy. I nearly fell off my chair.

The agent had secured my expiring policy from the carrier. Reviewing that I'm the lowest time pilot of the four, he negotiated the factor of my past year flight hours and secured the superior rate. It surely paid to shop around instead of just paying the emailed renewal invoice. Above and beyond the above, policy having a maximum of four named pilots, I inquired about adding a 5th pilot who can -- and who's done so in the past -- fly EAA Young Eagles in my plane. Several days later, "Approved" pending Pilot Experience. That shouldn't be a problem, pilot being Young Eagle Leader with way more than "100 Missions," according to one of the patches on his shirt. A good agent goes the extra mile. My plane's insurance will be less than my Ford F-150 STX 4x4.

HR

Avemco is still nearly double for me. Same coverage. $1200 vs $2200

I went with Global this go-around on my agents rec. The EAA member endorsement included a no deductible endorsement.

$1400

So..... How does your policy stack up compared to say Avemco? Same coverage! exactly?
Same coverage, Jimmy; however, I'd further note that the other quotes I received resulted from verbally quoted statistics of the other three pilots' experience, without their signed paper documents of same(if that had any bearing on a new policy).

HR

Back