Aviation Holiday Gifts

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, the holiday gift-buying season is upon us, and I'm wondering what you see as the most desirable aviation-oriented gift for airplane renters who actually travel in the airplanes (besides their own airplane:D). Ones that come to mind include:

-- Portable GPS with weather (e.g. Garmin 396/496)
-- Oxygen system
-- ENC headsets
-- software programs (Flight Sim X?)
-- survival gear (e.g. life vests, personal ELT)
-- flight bags
-- chart subscriptions
-- heated hunter socks to keep the tootsies warm in the winter
-- Exciting aviation adventure (e.g. trip to get sea-plane ratings in Canada)
-- ???

Steve said:
10 hrs. block time

Really Steve!? I knew it!!

I'd like that to be DA-40 time, thank you.

Hey, he asked what would be desireable, not what I'd actually buy....:D

jangell said:
Really Steve!? I knew it!!

I'd like that to be DA-40 time, thank you.

Yeah--time, or a Gift certificate toward renter's insurance...

If your buying Grant, I'll take an Auto Pilot and coupled 530.

Michael said:
If your buying Grant, I'll take an Auto Pilot and coupled 530.
Sorry, but I specified an airplane renter! But if you're buying for me, I'll take the ENC/ANR headset: Bose X, DC 11, or a nice Lightspeed. Leslie'll take the Garmin 496. Of course, with the accompanying XM subscription! :yes: :goofy:

maybe a handheld nav/com.

AOPA membership renewal.

Flying or Plane & Pilot renewal.

r/c helicopter for times when the weather forces you to play inside.

of course, cash has always been my favorite.

ladyaviator said:
Are you hinting to Leslie??? :yes:
You mean hinting what she should ask for? :goofy:

These are all things we've toyed with, but some of them are $$$. (As if anything in aviation isn't!) She is planning on going for her commercial as soon as she finishes her instrument next weekend, so something aviation-related might not be amiss!

Year-long chart subscription would be nice.

Also - I'd like my presents to be toys, so anything I don't need, but would like to have is cool, like a drink caddy or something.

Last year, I got pilot goggles and a flight cap, a bomber jacket and stuff like that. I am gonna ask Santa for either the Atlas-style charts or a subcription for the southwest region charts from Sportys.

How about fully-paid CFII and MEI training? Beyond that, I'm easy. Perhaps a couple ten-hour blocks in a small business jet?

If that isn't possible, paid flight time to St. Louis and back for Christmas. That's only a grand.

I said I was easy. I never said I was cheap. :D

I have an empty 1,000 gallon fuel tank that works great for storing 100 LL avgas. I think that would be a nice christmas present.:yes:

Full Garmin stack with a S-Tec 55X autopilot and GPSS.

That would be a nice Christmas present as long as Agatha doesn't give it to me.

A Mooney 201 wiht radios that actually work. Hint, Hint.....

Are you hinting to Leslie??? :yes:

You mean hinting what she should ask for? :goofy:

These are all things we've toyed with, but some of them are $$$. (As if anything in aviation isn't!) She is planning on going for her commercial as soon as she finishes her instrument next weekend, so something aviation-related might not be amiss!

Funny. With two pilots in the family you can buy yourself a toy and give it to the wife, "Honey, how did you know I wanted a Radial Arm saw?" :D

You just gotta make sure the "borrowing" is understood.

I'd like a "hundred hour block time" in a King Air C90GT. If one isn't available, I can adapt to a 350. I'm flexible.

Sorry, but I specified an airplane renter! But if you're buying for me, I'll take the ENC/ANR headset: Bose X, DC 11, or a nice Lightspeed. Leslie'll take the Garmin 496. Of course, with the accompanying XM subscription! :yes: :goofy:

Well, she bought the 496 w/XM at OSH, and I bought the Lightspeed Thirty-3G ANR there. She also got Flight Sim X. So....

Back