Aviation history

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
I was passing through New York last week on travels and had a couple of days to kill so I rented a car and drove up to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome to watch their opening show of the season. Every airplane nut should go she this show at least once. Amoung a number of WWI classics they also flew a Bleriot and a Curtiss pusher. It’s kind of a campy show, just like it would have been in the 1920’s and those folks really seem to enjoy doing it so I give them five stars.

After that I drove up to Hammondsport to see the Glenn Curtiss museum. I know the Wright brothers get all the credit but Curtiss and the AEA did so much to make flying machines a reality it’s a shame that history doesn’t acknowledge that more. Anyway, another five star recommendation if you ever happen to be up that way.

Last time I was a the Rhinebeck Aerodrome I was about 15 years old.. First time I saw "The Farmer" routine where the guy wins a ride in a piper cub then accidently takes off without the pilot on board... I've seen the routine a couple of times at other airshows since then, but none were done as well...

Back