Aviation History X-13

Neat, not just vectored, but well balanced/controlled vectored.

Amazing! Appeared to be incredibly stable. Even more amazing when you consider the fact that was accomplished only 54 years after the Wright brothers flew at Kittyhawk.

Amazing! Appeared to be incredibly stable. Even more amazing when you consider the fact that was accomplished only 54 years after the Wright brothers flew at Kittyhawk.

Appears more stable than a bloody Harrier, and simpler.

kinda reminds me of this.....I did the safety analysis for this back in the early 90's.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXcTFfV3Ls

Note....once NASA got a hold of it....they crashed it. :goofy:

Jack Thelander, one of my instructors, was an engineer on that program. From what he was telling me about it, it was pretty cool. He was also on the Orion program before that, that was really cool, and will be the best way to propel big craft through space because it provides a disposal method for nuclear waste.

Jack Thelander, one of my instructors, was an engineer on that program. From what he was telling me about it, it was pretty cool. He was also on the Orion program before that, that was really cool, and will be the best way to propel big craft through space because it provides a disposal method for nuclear waste.
Don't know him and I don't see him on the team list....I was one of Maj. Jess Sponable's right hand guys. The lead contractor was McDonnell Douglas.

Last edited:
Worst part about it was that it was completely avoidable - or so I'm told ;)

Thanks for the link! I'm surprised to see a few of the names on that list...and not surprised to see a few that aren't :D

Nauga,
Leaping headlong into the 20th century :rolleyes:
I don't know the details of what actually happened with NASA....only water cooler talk. But, it was both funny and sad. :mad2:

I don't know the details of what actually happened with NASA...
Maybe if your flight instructor had been better connected...;)

FWIW, that the landing leg failed to extend because an He pressurization line was left unconnected is public knowledge. As to who was responsible for maintenance and QA, that's not public knowledge AFAIKOC, but the root cause was human error.

Nauga,
and his 'read and heed' case studies

Maybe if your flight instructor had been better connected...;)

FWIW, that the landing leg failed to extend because an He pressurization line was left unconnected is public knowledge. As to who was responsible for maintenance and QA, that's not public knowledge AFAIKOC, but the root cause was human error.

Nauga,
I worked the program before NASA began tinkering with it....Henning was the one with the flight instructor.:dunno:

Full Disclosure:....I did not work the flight line and do the testing....another guy in our office, Curtis, supported that.

Last edited:

Nauga,
Ok....I'm remembering something to that effect.....:rofl:

I remembered the landing gear collapse or failure to extend...but, now am remembering why. :mad2:

Back