Aviation headsets

markstanco

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
This has likely been discussed.

Zulu.2. Complaints? Reviews are great. Looking for some feedback from the locals.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

I have Zulu.2 and like them... only complaint is the battery box cover doesn't stay on anymore... fortunately, batterys stay in well and a rubber band holds the cover in place.

Shane, someday if we ever find ourselves at the same airport at the same time, I'd like to see your product.

I have Zulu.2 and like them... only complaint is the battery box cover doesn't stay on anymore... fortunately, batterys stay in well.

Shane, someday if we ever find ourselves at the same airport at the same time, I'd like to see your product.

If I knew I was going to keep my Mooney for a long time, I'd get 4 of his headsets with the mooney logo put on them. I was really impressed - and it's a price point that can't be beat. My next headset will be from Shane.

Don't have Zulus, but I have a few low end headsets made by Lightspeed (V1-ANR). Even though they are low end, the service has been great. Can't beat Lightspeed service.

Sounds good! We'll take them for a little test flight, and I'll buy us some lunch.

anybody think the PFX is worth the extra $$ compared to the zulu.2?

I tend to want the newest/latest/greatest stuff, but having trouble justifying the price difference...

anybody think the PFX is worth the extra $$ compared to the zulu.2?

I tend to want the newest/latest/greatest stuff, but having trouble justifying the price difference...

We tested the PFX at OSH. They were...amazing.

When you first turn them on, you hear a tone. The headset is "mapping" the acoustical shape of your ear, or so they say, and things get quiet, just like my Zulus.

Ten seconds later, you feel like your inner ear is being sucked out -- and then things get REAL quiet. Like, creepy, unnatural, can't hear yourself quiet. It was incredible. They will be perfect in the -8A, which is a very loud plane.

I want them, but Lightspeed doesn't plan to do a trade-up program until January. I can wait.

I've got the Zulu.2's, I traded in a pair of Lightspeed 30-3G's that I had bought used. I was completely satisfied with the 30-3G's and was actually planning on keeping them for the long haul. Unfortunately the plastic headband broke in half one cold winter day as I put them on. :( That was a noisy flight home. I realized NONE of the aviators on Flying Wild Alaska or Ice Pilots: NWT were using 30-3G's, if they had Lightspeeds, they were the Zulu model. So valuing my hearing over my pocketbook, I splurged for the Zulu.2's over the Sierras.

All-in, I spent around $750 out of pocket to get the Zulu.2's. Not a bargain by any stretch but better than paying full retail. No regrets.

I do have some criticisms of the Zulu.2's. The control box seems a little cheesy, not quite fitting with a $900 MSRP product, in particular the plug wires are a little skimpy looking compared to David Clark headsets. The microphone is directional, but there is no super obvious microphone orientation marking. I probably flew 10 hours with the Zulu.2's shouting into the mic as a result. One of the most glaring problems with the audio is the obvious hissing you can hear in the background when listening to music via Bluetooth-phone connection. I know that ANR is almost like a black art, but it's a little dissapointing that these headsets don't also double as audiophile quality headphones. The Zulu.2's are only good in enclosed cockpits. I get a burble of wind noise with the window open, I don't think they'd be very good at all in an open cockpit plane. Lastly, the omission by Lightspeed of a corresponding Android phone application stings a little--it makes me feel ignored by a company I otherwise want to like.

I tried the Zulu PFX at Oshkosh and liked them--especially the new wiring and the aesthetically improved control box. They seemed quieter but the annoying droning noise generated in the Lightspeed tent is nowhere near as loud as my plane. I wasn't able to compare the PFX and the Zulu.2 side-by-side... I did feel a little bit of buyer's remorse on the Zulu.2's after trying the PFX.

I was also very impressed by the Sennheiser S1 ANR, especially the passive protection and the enhanced ANR achieved through "pressing the button". I think the new Lightspeed PFX has a similar but more transparent implementation of that adaptive ANR technology.

If I wasn't already $750~ deep into my Zulu.2's, I'd be tempted to buy the Sennheiser S1 ANR's.

you feel like your inner ear is being sucked out -- and then things get REAL quiet.

Interesting and apt description. I have some a pair of Bose QC15's I'll wear at the office to create a "cone of solitude" so I can get some work done. If I don't have music playing, it really does feel like some a negative exterior pressure exists when I turn on the ANR. Physically I know the air pressure is the same, but the ANR makes my brain say there is some internal pressure going on.

To the OP: There are many choices of ANR headsets out there with prices being from low cost to the high end of $1200.

Which ever you select, a good quality and comfortable ANR set is a good expenditure. Once you experience a good set, you don't ever want to return to a PNR set.

Another tip before you spend the money, try out as many brands and models as possible. Not every brand fits every head the same or as well as the next head. By trying them on and doing so for an hour or so, you'll have much more information on what fits your noggin the most comfortably.

The microphone is directional, but there is no super obvious microphone orientation marking. I probably flew 10 hours with the Zulu.2's shouting into the mic as a result.
Actually there is a "mark" of sort... but it's not a visual thing. If you squeeze the mic (or look at it with the muff off) you will feel/see a circular disc on one side. This needs to face away from you for the correct side to be facing your mouth.

The mic will still work if facing the wrong way, but not as well.

Thanks for the feedback Ron and Jay. I appreciate it!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Back