aviation glasses for gals?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Any recommendations for a women's aviation style sun glasses?

Santa is looking for ideas :wink2:

I dunno, I think that's like shopping for a woman's purse if you don't know EXACTLY what to get.

(hint, a $15 pair of Foster Grants doesn't score any points, in fact it will cost you some. Don't ask how I know that.)

I dunno, I think that's like shopping for a woman's purse if you don't know EXACTLY what to get.

(hint, a $15 pair of Foster Grants doesn't score any points, in fact it will cost you some. Don't ask how I know that.)

Exactly! and...all the catalogs seem to target men (go figure). Maybe I'll look at REI, they have a liberal return policy

My personal favorites are Smith Sequel II and Smith Toaster, neither are aviator style. The Sequel II has been discontinued, so I bought six pairs. Sunglasses, like handbags, are highly personal, so make sure you know what you are buying, otherwise it will get returned or stuffed in a closet, never to see the light of day. My mother-in-law gave me the most hideous handbag; it has never been used, I shudder at the thought.

The main thing, regardless of the brand or style is that if they are going to be used for aviation, make sure the temples are of the thin blade type and close to the head so they work okay with headsets.

And I don't like to fly with polarized glasses myself. Some do though.

I dunno. I see a lot of women wearing old syle Ray Ban Aviators. I'd get her those.

Sunglasses, like handbags, are highly personal, so make sure you know what you are buying, otherwise it will get returned or stuffed in a closet, never to see the light of day.
Agree with this. They also need to fit right. I would go with a gift certificate or money for sunglasses but that is just me.

The main thing, regardless of the brand or style is that if they are going to be used for aviation, make sure the temples are of the thin blade type and close to the head so they work okay with headsets.

And I don't like to fly with polarized glasses myself. Some do though.

Agreed.

The style lately seems to be very wide temples for sun glasses.

If she likes the style of RayBan aviators, I am pretty sure they come in 3 lens sizes. If she prefers more of a cat-eye shape, Maui Jim makes some nice "hingeless" glasses with very thin temples (but MJ are usually polarized).

The idea is (as I understand it) to make sure the width at the hinges is very close to the width of the wearer so the temple does not hold the seals open and the seals/headset don't cause heavy clamp pressure to transfer from the sunglasses temples to the wearer's "behind the ears" (does that part of the body have a name?)

Agree with this. They also need to fit right. I would go with a gift certificate or money for sunglasses but that is just me.
Yes. Fit is very important. Sort of like buying shoes for a woman. Don't.

Seems like a bad idea, but what do I know, I'm divorced. They say you can't go wrong with jewelry.

I have several pair of different style Oakleys. Some of the thicker frames are a pain because of the ANR on my bose but once they're on and the headset is on as long as I odn't take it off it's fine. I have no issues with the thinner ones. I have a pair of actual "aviator" style that I got for free from NetJets but I don't remember the brand off hand. I don't really like them. They're very clearly mens glasses and not designed for women.

Just get some blinds or drapes that don't let as much sunlight in through the kitchen windows.

You can't buy your wife sunglasses! Or if you could you need to know the exact model color year version.. Lol

58mm is great, if you're a wide-eyed toad or a big guy. I'm a 42mm.

You just called both my wife and girlfriend "wide eyed toads".:lol:

Bragging about being only a 42mm guy on the internet...bad choice.:rolleyes2:

Aviatior's in any size= CLASSIC

Chris

Bragging about being only a 42mm guy on the internet...bad choice.:rolleyes2:
Probably not a great idea to assume what someone's gender is on the internet... :p

Last edited:
Probably not a great idea to assume what someone's gender is on the internet... :p
True. I remember telling my 12-year-old that the 13-year old girl she was sharing her secrets with is actually a hairy-back, bald 42-year old guy with a beer gut who really wants to figure out where she lives.

I suppose these are no good:

6752AF.jpg

Back