Aviation GADGETS

thanks Shawn. Be better than having a bottle of Dr Pepper rolling all over the floor

thanks Shawn. Be better than having a bottle of Dr Pepper rolling all over the floor

Just gotta be careful where you place it...did have it fall off once with my canteen water bottle full, bounce off my knee and shut off my Master Switch mid flight...DOH!

Upon starting training I inquired of the old rec.alt.aviation (I think that was it) usenet group as to what I should buy. One response was "Get a Sporty's catalog and order one of each." It did have a smiley with it...

That said, as a renter in a series of clubs, I carry a flight bag with 2 headsets (unless I know I'm going to have more passengers) charts (yes, I still carry paper sectionals) and assorted flashlights, pencils, portable etc. If I had my own plane, I'm sure a lot of that would stay in the plane.

As an instructor, I fly probably a dozen different aircraft on the regular including my own. I stick to the minimalist view though, I don't need a bag full of toys to make the airplane go.

Gadgets I actually use:
  • Red/white visor clip light (for night flying)--I actually carry two in case the battery in #1 fails. They are cheap, cheap, cheap and very effective. Hunters supply store have them.
  • Small (4") red/white LED flashlight (for night preflight and cockpit emergency lighting)
  • Leatherman tool
  • Fuel sample cup (the small clear cup with a metal prong in the middle suitable for my AA5 drains, two of which are hidden under the LG fairings)
  • Portable transceiver for clearance delivery and emergency communication
  • Battery caddies for NIMH and/or alkaline batteries (spares for headsets, transceiver)
  • Metal lap desk (with interior compartment) for storing checklists, flight plan forms, occasional printed approach plate, pens and pencils for in-flight notes. (Quite frankly, a 5x8 or 8x11 clipboard with felt strips on the bottom to make it non-slip would work almost as well, and that's what I used for years.)
  • Much of this stuff, along with required flight manuals, post-it notes, etc. goes in small Brightline flight back that has room for everything in its own pocket. If I really want to slim down, it zips in half to make a smaller bag.

Except for the transceiver and fuel sample cup, all of this can be procured from local on online sources other than Sporty's. (I'm still using an ancient Sporty's A300 transceiver and it's a tank! Still going strong.)

Everything else I ever bought as a student and low-time pilot is pretty much just junk memorabilia now, with the advent of EFBs and GPS navigation. However, I still have a personal attachment to the old whiz-wheels for quick and dirty calculations of flight time for remaining distance to determine if a fuel stop is necessary. One is a mini-E6B I gave my wife for her flight training (cute, small, and sturdy), but my favorite is an even smaller, flat plastic version that Exxon used to give away at their FBOs. It's a little bigger than a playing card, and will slip in a wall panel side pocket or tiny glovebox.

Things that are not gadgets, but are worth purchasing include a microfiber cloth and some plastic clean and polish for your windshield, and a spray bottle of RO water to help scrub the bugs off your cowling and leading edge.

What is this “old school” water bottle method mentioned?

Attachments

• B1565274-7721-4675-8A6C-02AABE4CD434.jpeg
    B1565274-7721-4675-8A6C-02AABE4CD434.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 12
Not exactly a gaget but if you need a new pair of foggles anytime soon www.certifiedfoggles.com has some pretty cool ones (i got the american flag one but also kinda want the custom airspace one)

Oh brother. I guess P. T. Barnum was right.

My foggles are $2 safety glasses from Harbor Freight with some tape to block out the top.

Headset, IPad, charging cables, flashlight. Next thing I am looking at is a PLB. They have some down in price, so why not. Most other toys or gadgets I see are pretty much that. Most things I would never use. And sporty’s is such a ripoff on thier shipping charges, I refuse to buy from them.

Back