Aviation for Rich Folks

It makes me upset that Tom Cruise has to be the owner of one!:mad:

*drool* I want one!

Isn't there a kit to make a 1/3rd scale replica? I dont remember the name but it looked pretty neat too.

Look at the F4U. The bend in the wing roots is so that it can swing an even BIGGER prop.

Look at the F4U. The bend in the wing roots is so that it can swing an even BIGGER prop.
The entire F4U design was to accommodate the P&W R2800 engine turning a 13'1" Hamilton Standard prop. IMHO, one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built!

I AGREE Frank. If i had my choice between a P-51 and a F4U I'd definately take the Corsair, But thats my opinion
Dave G

*drool* I want one!

Isn't there a kit to make a 1/3rd scale replica? I dont remember the name but it looked pretty neat too.

There's the T-51, made by Titan. Lemme find it.

here it is:
350px-Titan_T-51_-_airshow1.jpg

It makes me upset that Tom Cruise has to be the owner of one!:mad:
Cruise owns one because he can afford it. He may be a pilot but he won't ever be an aviator.

BTW, under an airman certificate search for Cruise, I found this:

THOMAS C MAPOTHER
DOI: 8/27/1947
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Rating(s): AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Notice anything odd about the date of issue? There is no other certificate and medical issue data. So, I have to wonder.

Here is the the registration of the Mustang he supposedly owns:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=51EW

A picture of "Montana Miss" from the Warbird Registry:
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4412840.html

Cruise owns one because he can afford it. He may be a pilot but he won't ever be an aviator.

BTW, under an airman certificate search for Cruise, I found this:

THOMAS C MAPOTHER
DOI: 8/27/1947
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Rating(s): AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Notice anything odd about the date of issue? There is no other certificate and medical issue data. So, I have to wonder.

Here is the the registration of the Mustang he supposedly owns:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=51EW

A picture of "Montana Miss" from the Warbird Registry:
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4412840.html

I found him once years ago when I was looking to see how many famous pilots still had their home addresses listed. I think it's Thomas Cruise. Harrison Ford used to have the ranch listed. Try Hugh Hefner. He's not current since the late 1940s. Sidney Pollack. Morgan Freeman. Angelina Jolie.

Harrison actually had the Wyoming ranch listed in the aircraft registration - where you can't have it withheld. I think he since wised up. Most of them list office addresses. There are a lot of aircraft registered to Beverly Hiils addresses. :rolleyes:

Even if you don't agree with another person's opinion, or even like them, there's no need to disparage someone in public like that. I enjoy this forum because it gives pilots a chance to learn, share some humor and otherwise enjoy themselves in a positive aviation atmosphere.

Even if you don't agree with another person's opinion, or even like them, there's no need to disparage someone in public like that. I enjoy this forum because it gives pilots a chance to learn, share some humor and otherwise enjoy themselves in a positive aviation atmosphere.
We're speaking of a man who left his wife and children in typical Hollywood fashion. And, the way he's presented himself, I sincerely believe he will never exhibit the qualities of an "aviator."

and what qualities are becoming of an 'aviator'?

and what qualities are becoming of an 'aviator'?
I characterize a pilot as one who flies because they have to; for example, a business man obtains a pilot certificate to benefit him in his job. An aviator is one who flies because it's part of who they are, their passion and love is in the act of flying and in the aircraft.

You work as an instructor. But, the very act of how far you are carrying your flying with soaring and experiencing any aircraft you get your hands on is characteristic of your love of aircraft and flying them. Greg flies for a living and I'm sure there are days more often than not he'd rather not be stuck in the cockpit of an airliner. But, it allows him to do other things such as own and care for a classic aircraft. I don't believe most would own a 195 without first appreciating its beauty and the care required.

Some buy an expensive aircraft because they can. But, they will never love it. They may be proud to own it. It may make them happy to own a rare aircraft of great value. But, it will never be a part of their soul.

Someday, I hope to own a small aerobatic aircraft such as a Super D or maybe even an Extra. Heck, I'd love to build and fly a little OneDesign DR-8. In the next few years, maybe I can make that happen. Meanwhile, I'll get my CFI ticket and teach. I'll do that because I love being around airplanes and I love to talk about flying and share that passion with others; particularly those who want to learn. That's the most economic path for me at this time.

Now, having said all that... I can't explain Mooney owners. :D

Anyone who can afford to own one, I say more power to them! I'm glad they have the wherewithall to keep those beautiful birds flying.

Back