Aviation books

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My F-I-L, an old pilot, died a couple months ago so we're still in the process of sorting through his stuff. My wife recently brought home a bunch of av books of which I haven't heard of most of them. The book I'm reading now is called, "Fly The Biggest Piece Back", by Steve Smith. It's about early aviation in the northern states but mainly centered on Missoula, Montana and the shennanagins of Bob Johnson. Johnson later started Johnson Flying Service and factored heavily in WA, ID, and MT aviation. It is such an engaging book, not so much because of the author's fine writing style but because of the unbelievable danger and serious fun of those early days.

I'd love to post some Johnson stories but they are rather wordy.

Hey Richard,!

If there are any Ernest K. Gann books or St. Expuery books put those on your list to read next!

"Fate is the Hunter", "Blaze of Noon", "The High and the Mighty", are all awesome, "Wind, Sand, and Stars" is a good read too, however a little "heady" and deep b/c it was translated from french.

If you ever decided to get rid of any of those books I would be intersted in talking with you. Have fun and enjoy reading them. BTW, Richard Bach books aren't too bad either.

I have some old St. Exupery books which I do enjoy. Also have Anna Marrow Lingbergh.( I hope I got the spelling right) books.She has such a great way in her style of writing about flying. Richard Boch's books are more up to date (early 1960's and later). William Langweishce has a very nice book "INside the Sky" that came out in 1998. Of course for many of uswho remember him he wrote "Stick and Rudder" I have these and have shared them with others who enjoy reading.

Richard sounds like you have a "gold mine' of early aviation book and stories. Have fun reding them.

John J.

Richard said:
My F-I-L, an old pilot, died a couple months ago so we're still in the process of sorting through his stuff. My wife recently brought home a bunch of av books of which I haven't heard of most of them. The book I'm reading now is called, "Fly The Biggest Piece Back", by Steve Smith. It's about early aviation in the northern states but mainly centered on Missoula, Montana and the shennanagins of Bob Johnson. Johnson later started Johnson Flying Service and factored heavily in WA, ID, and MT aviation. It is such an engaging book, not so much because of the author's fine writing style but because of the unbelievable danger and serious fun of those early days.

I'd love to post some Johnson stories but they are rather wordy.

Please do post some of those, no matter how long !

BTW: Just finished reading & started re-reading Earnest K Gann's "Flying Circus", and although not exceeding "Fate Is The Hunter" in overall quality, it's way up there in the literary Wild Blue plus it has a collection of absolutely vivid paintings that accent each chapter. Some of the super realistic paintings show images impossible to obtain in photographs such as flight in IMC.

John J said:
William Langweishce has a very nice book "INside the Sky" that came out in 1998. Of course for many of uswho remember him he wrote "Stick and Rudder"

Correction, John. Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote "Stick and Rudder." William L. is his son.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Correction, John. Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote "Stick and Rudder." William L. is his son.

-Skip

Hi Skip;

Thank you for the correction. Woflgang's book was my flying Bible when I was in training.

Thanks again

John J

My eyes widened and my heart lept when I read the following. It is the forward in the book, "Fly The Biggest Piece Back". I'd say he's been there, and how.

If I could write, I'd write of summertime and early-morning flight; of pink-tinged mountain peaks with their green firs robed in ermine white; of silver rivers far below winding through multicolored canyons; of soft, gray, stratus clouds dissolving before the sun's first bright rays.

I would try to tell of the pilot's highway, wide as the world itself; of the peace and eternal solitude and the deep sense of adventure while gliding through shadowy corridors among the ever-changing cumulus clouds; of the sweet song of the motor's roar, and of breathing the cold, clean air high above the earthbound dust and smoke as the remote earth, so very far below, breaks into a million sunlight and shadowing patterns.

If I could write, I'd try to tell you of a midday flight when the sun's hot breath has awakened every devilish air current; of a plane being tossed around like a loose leaf before winter's early winds. I would describe that awful feeling of aloneness--the chill of terror--and how mere seconds creep by like old and worn-out years as those wind devils slam your plane toward bleak canyon walls, your controls as dead as yesterday's dreams. I'd write of the quick panic you try to hold away as you wait for that life-saving cushion of air that you can only hope is trapped beside the canyon wall. I guess I'd even try to make you feel the deep inside hurting of an over-worked, over-heated motor fighting for precious altitude while those demanding downdrafts are pulling you down, down, down. I might even tell you how little and insignificant you feel when a thousand crazy air currents have grabbed your plane and are shaking it like a hungry cur shakes a meatless bone; of the plane falling faster than the pull of gravity, and of the chaotic thoughts within your mind while you wait for the solid air to stop your fall, wondering if man-made wings are strong enough to take the shock.

If I could write, I'd write of winter flights when the deep, white snows have hidden and locked away every meadow and glade wherein a plane could find a haven; of black storms chasing one another at mile-a-minute speeds; of sullen clouds, pregnant with snow, dragging their bloated bellies along the ground, hiding every familiar landmark, and of flying in blizzards when the visibility is less than one hundred feet and a hundred mile seem like a million. I'd write of the dull, clumsy, dead weight of a plane loading up with ice, and of the anguished gasp of a radial motor breathing only wet and freezing air. I might even try to tell you how it feels to be boxed in by the storms, of the helplessness that permeates your whole being while you are using all of the skill, cunning and knowledge that you have accumulated in a lifetime of flying just to hold death away a little longer. I'd write of how you will look at your hands on the controls and marvel at the wonderful flesh-and-blood mechanisms that they are, and wonder just how much longer they will have the life and power to obey the commands of your brain.

I would also tell of how your heart swells to almost a breaking point when you finally get through, and of how good the cold, clean ground feels beneath your feet, ground that only moments before you had thought you would never again feel and walk on.

If I could write, most of all I'd write about how good human companionship is after one of those flights; of how a baby's cry, a child's laughter, a woman's smile or a friendly touch is worth more than the tinkle of golden coins in a blind beggar's cup. But what I could never hope to write about is that inconceivable pull, that ever-constant compulsion--stronger and more demanding than steel cables--that persists in taking you back and back, as though your soul were a veritable fragment of the air you breathe and fly in. Of this I could never write, for I do not have the humble understanding that belongs to God alone.

--Bill Woods
A long-time Idaho mountain pilot

Richard said:
My eyes widened and my heart lept when I read the following. It is the forward in the book, "Fly The Biggest Piece Back". I'd say he's been there, and how.

I'd say he can write too. That was GREAT!

Richard said:

If I could write, I'd write of summertime and early-morning flight; of pink-tinged mountain peaks with their green firs robed in ermine white; of silver rivers far below winding through multicolored canyons; of soft, gray, stratus clouds dissolving before the sun's first bright rays.

I would try to tell of the pilot's highway, wide as the world itself; of the peace and eternal solitude and the deep sense of adventure while gliding through shadowy corridors among the ever-changing cumulus clouds; of the sweet song of the motor's roar, and of breathing the cold, clean air high above the earthbound dust and smoke as the remote earth, so very far below, breaks into a million sunlight and shadowing patterns.

If I could write, I'd try to tell you of a midday flight when the sun's hot breath has awakened every devilish air current; of a plane being tossed around like a loose leaf before winter's early winds. I would describe that awful feeling of aloneness--the chill of terror--and how mere seconds creep by like old and worn-out years as those wind devils slam your plane toward bleak canyon walls, your controls as dead as yesterday's dreams. I'd write of the quick panic you try to hold away as you wait for that life-saving cushion of air that you can only hope is trapped beside the canyon wall. I guess I'd even try to make you feel the deep inside hurting of an over-worked, over-heated motor fighting for precious altitude while those demanding downdrafts are pulling you down, down, down. I might even tell you how little and insignificant you feel when a thousand crazy air currents have grabbed your plane and are shaking it like a hungry cur shakes a meatless bone; of the plane falling faster than the pull of gravity, and of the chaotic thoughts within your mind while you wait for the solid air to stop your fall, wondering if man-made wings are strong enough to take the shock.

If I could write, I'd write of winter flights when the deep, white snows have hidden and locked away every meadow and glade wherein a plane could find a haven; of black storms chasing one another at mile-a-minute speeds; of sullen clouds, pregnant with snow, dragging their bloated bellies along the ground, hiding every familiar landmark, and of flying in blizzards when the visibility is less than one hundred feet and a hundred mile seem like a million. I'd write of the dull, clumsy, dead weight of a plane loading up with ice, and of the anguished gasp of a radial motor breathing only wet and freezing air. I might even try to tell you how it feels to be boxed in by the storms, of the helplessness that permeates your whole being while you are using all of the skill, cunning and knowledge that you have accumulated in a lifetime of flying just to hold death away a little longer. I'd write of how you will look at your hands on the controls and marvel at the wonderful flesh-and-blood mechanisms that they are, and wonder just how much longer they will have the life and power to obey the commands of your brain.

I would also tell of how your heart swells to almost a breaking point when you finally get through, and of how good the cold, clean ground feels beneath your feet, ground that only moments before you had thought you would never again feel and walk on.

If I could write, most of all I'd write about how good human companionship is after one of those flights; of how a baby's cry, a child's laughter, a woman's smile or a friendly touch is worth more than the tinkle of golden coins in a blind beggar's cup. But what I could never hope to write about is that inconceivable pull, that ever-constant compulsion--stronger and more demanding than steel cables--that persists in taking you back and back, as though your soul were a veritable fragment of the air you breathe and fly in. Of this I could never write, for I do not have the humble understanding that belongs to God alone.

--Bill Woods
A long-time Idaho mountain pilot

Whoa ! That dude is good !
Got any more ?
Thanks a lot.

Back