Aviation Books with National Awards

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Okie Dokie PoAer's, help me out here. My sister is teaching High School English and has assigned her 10th graders to read 8 books from different categories. categories include but are not limited to Non Fiction, History, Biography, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, etc. She has one kid who I think is taking lessons and wants to read some aviation stuff. Sis wants the books to have won a national award, if possible, as well. With a small town and small school the libraries arent having much to offer. Im planning on sending Spirit of St. Louis up to her, but am wondering if any of you have any other ideas for books? Ive got a ton laying around here...somewhere. So the question of the day is what aviation books have won national awards.

Perhaps we need to start the Pilot of America this book is awesome award.

Does it have to be a book, or can it be a novella or short story??

Anything by St. Ex is literature... Wind, Sand, and Stars won a National Book Award according to Wikepedia.

Pretty sure that Jonathan Livingston Seagull won an award or two...

Catch 22 is ostensibly about B-25 bomber pilots in WWII...

Well, I went to my library and found a couple aviation-related books; however, they probably wouldn't qualify for your project's age group. But anyway:

Photo #1: The author is a likely award winner; however, he was best known for his Hardy Boys Series.

Photo #2: The books were given to my father by Zetta Smith, his teacher. I also knew Zetta (Smith) Sturdee when I was a teenager. Note the dates in
this photo. In 1928 my father was 10 years old.

Photo #3: Look at the familiar names on the dedication page(s).

I wonder if these antique books have any collector's value?

HR

Attachments

• Kenneth's Books1.jpg
    Kenneth's Books1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 9
  • Kenneth's Books2.jpg
    Kenneth's Books2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Kenneth's Books3.jpg
    Kenneth's Books3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 8
Back