Avgas Leak Detector

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Is there some portable device that can detect the fumes from a small fuel leak? That is before fire or an explosion would provide a conclusive indication. They make dozens of detectors for propane and natural gas leaks, but does anybody make something that will detect subtle fumes from avgas?

Part of the preflight is looking for avgas indications - blue stains anywhere on the airplane or the ground.

Mostly done for confined spaces like boat bilges. Where would you place such?
My concern is a leak in one of the wing tanks. There is a natural low spot where fuel would run should there be a leak (as I have had before). Of course I check for any indication of a leak during pre-flight. A small leak might not make it to the drain hole, so I am looking for something that might detect fumes in the closed cavity area where the fuel tank sits. Something of an early warning system. I'm just exploring the possibilities and appreciate the link to the company that sells the unit for boats - I will give them a call.

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem

Bellanca, 1960

I wish I was more familiar with the Bellanca. Is yours the 5 tank version? I seem to remember a lot of tanks and 2 fuel selector valves, with an ability to cross feed from multiple tanks. If recalling correctly, you have a complex fuel system.

Still as others have said, be on the lookout for blue staining. It's rare for a panel seam to be tight enough to prevent fuel from leaking. Consider getting an inspection camera on a flexible fiber optic line to look inside the inspection panels.

Fuel systems are supposed to be fully serviceable and replaceable. A small light and dental mirror should get the job done through the inspection ports to see if you have an issue.

I wish I was more familiar with the Bellanca. Is yours the 5 tank version? I seem to remember a lot of tanks and 2 fuel selector valves, with an ability to cross feed from multiple tanks. If recalling correctly, you have a complex fuel system.
My plane only has one tank in each wing plus an aux tank in the fuselage. Fuel management is fairly straightforward... but still needs to be managed carefully for sure. Later Vikings had the 5 tanks and some of the earlier Cruisemasters had the dual selector valves which were responsible for several off-airport outcomes. Pulling a wing tank requires removing the plywood tank cover, cutting the fabric - not a simple task. My recent experience with a crack in the aluminum tank caused me to think about the finding any possible future leaks quickly as the idea of fuel soaking in to the wood is not comforting.

matches2.jpg
or maybe this cheap and easy thingy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWZEVNY/ref=psdc_7491102011_t1_B0000BX6KU

Rob, I have an Oasis Vividia articulating digital borescope. This product is unique in that it has a small articulating head with a ring of LED lighting on a rigid aluminum stick.

hqdefault.jpg

You could drain the tanks and inspect with a camera, also look through inspection covers to witness any blue staining. This particular camera is full color and high resolution. At time of annual this camera is used to look at cylinder valves through the spark plug hole.

Blue staining will be obvious and appears rapidly.

http://www.oasisscientific.com/stor...ting_8.5mm_Diameter_Probe_and_LED_Lights.html

BTW here's an example of a pic taken with this camera of one of my valves from last annual. All cylinders except for 1 have 1520 hours. Awesome inspection tool.

O-470-R%20valves_zpsjjx9mhhm.jpg

Back