avgas in Canada

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I am planning to fly to Canada in early June. I had hoped that the fuel shortage would be over by now, but most airports in Canada that I have checked have no fuel available. Does anyone have any new or inside information, or just plane educated guesses about 100ll fuel availability in Canada in June?

Are they airports that normally have fuel?

Depending on where you're going, fuel available for sale to the public can be hard to come by. You may have to carry your own with you.

Are they airports that normally have fuel?

Depending on where you're going, fuel available for sale to the public can be hard to come by. You may have to carry your own with you.

That`s especially true if you want to venture up north. But it`s usually not a problem close to metropolitan areas. In any case it`s easy enough to check in Foreflight or in the CFS (Canada flight Supplement).

I am planning to fly to Canada in early June. I had hoped that the fuel shortage would be over by now, but most airports in Canada that I have checked have no fuel available. Does anyone have any new or inside information, or just plane educated guesses about 100ll fuel availability in Canada in June?

As post #2 link showed the Edmonton, Alberta refinery is making avgas again after several months without.

Eastern Canada normally imports a lot of avgas from the USA as it is a shorter transportation haul than from Edmonton. Western Canada is where the shortage hit the hardest. Some product was brought up from Billings, Montana and a lot of Canadian pilots who live near the border (in and around Vancouver, B.C. for example) were flying south to fill their tanks.

You should not encounter problems in June.

Where in Canada are you planning to fly?

. . .

. . . Western Canada is where the shortage hit the hardest.

You should not encounter problems in June.

Where in Canada are you planning to fly?
I erred when I said I was flying TO Canada. Actually, I am flying THROUGH Western Canada on the way to Alaska. But hopefully things will improve by June.

I tried checking AIRNAV, but apparently, they don't cover Canada. I couldn't find any fuel prices in Canada on Airnav. I forgot to check Foreflight.

I erred when I said I was flying TO Canada. Actually, I am flying THROUGH Western Canada on the way to Alaska. But hopefully things will improve by June.

I tried checking AIRNAV, but apparently, they don't cover Canada. I couldn't find any fuel prices in Canada on Airnav. I forgot to check Foreflight.

Sounds like quite an adventure from Florida. :thumbsup:

100LL prices in Canada are stupid expensive. But the good exchange rate for the Benjamin to the Loonie takes some of the sting off.

You'll probably be traversing across Saskatchewan, Alberta and northeast B.C. if you plan to follow the Highway. You shouldn't have any problem up to Dawson Creek (Mile zero) but you will want to check ahead North of there or Fort St. John as it starts to get pretty remote.

Calling ahead is good advice as I made the trip last June. I had no troubles stopping for fuel at Winnepeg, Saskatoon and Edmonton international airports. Yes the fuel prices will be more, and there will most likely be facility fees and/or overnight fees. I paid a $25 fee in Saskatoon but was able to dodge one in Winnepeg at Fast Air Jet Center, by claiming my passenger was crew. They did not challenge. I avoided it in Edmonton at Signature going up but they were threatening to charge per my telephone call in advance if I stopped there on the way back. I stopped at Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, and Whitehorse but skipped Dawson Creek on the way back, in favor of Grand Prairie at Swan Aero, where the fuel pricing was really the best of the trip. The self serve fuel farm pricing was very reasonable at Whitehorse.

Calling ahead is good advice as I made the trip last June. I had no troubles stopping for fuel at Winnepeg, Saskatoon and Edmonton international airports. Yes the fuel prices will be more, and there will most likely be facility fees and/or overnight fees. I paid a $25 fee in Saskatoon but was able to dodge one in Winnepeg at Fast Air Jet Center, by claiming my passenger was crew. They did not challenge. I avoided it in Edmonton at Signature going up but they were threatening to charge per my telephone call in advance if I stopped there on the way back. I stopped at Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, and Whitehorse but skipped Dawson Creek on the way back, in favor of Grand Prairie at Swan Aero, where the fuel pricing was really the best of the trip. The self serve fuel farm pricing was very reasonable at Whitehorse.
I suspect calling ahead is the best advice. From what I am seeing, AIRNAV has little to no info on Canada. Foreflight and the Canadian Flight Supplement disagree on almost every airport I have checked.

Check NAV Canada and call in advance. What route are you looking at.

I've flown from the lower 48 to SE Alaska twice. The first time we landed at SEA TAC and overnighted. One stop in Canada Port Hardy, BC. Then customs in Ketchikan, AK and on to Juneau. 2 stops from Seattle to Juneau, AK. I must say I was smiling when SEA TAC ground had me pass 10 to 15 jets waiting for departure, and let me T/O VFR almost without stopping..:) I must say I was a little nerves going into and out of SEA- TAC,(mixing it up with the professional pilots) but I did my homework in advance and all went smoothly..

The second time I stayed on the eastern side of the Rockies to Dawson Creek made a left turn to Prince Rupert. Customs again in Ketchikan, AK
then on to Juneau.

Last edited:
I suspect calling ahead is the best advice. From what I am seeing, AIRNAV has little to no info on Canada. Foreflight and the Canadian Flight Supplement disagree on almost every airport I have checked.

What specifically is the disagreement between FF and the CFS? Fuel availability?

If you want to avoid excessive fees stay away from Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton International airports. Regina is the better bet to clear customs into Canada (I usually file from Minot, ND). The Esso dealer there has consistently lower fuel prices than Shell.

Villenueve (CZVL) is the regional GA airport just east of Edmonton with good services; the fees to land at Edmonton International are ridiculous imo. If you happen to be as far south as Calgary, avoid the International and use Springbank airport (CYBW) on the west side. Excellent services there with at least three fuel supplier options.

Last edited:
What specifically is the disagreement between FF and the CFS? Fuel availability?
FF says no fuel and no FBO. CFS says 100ll available.
This is on almost every airport I checked. I sent an email to FF to ask if they even pretend to have Canadian information. (I do subscribe to both Canada and USA for Foreflight PRO PLUS).

Just a WAG, but there are numerous airports in Canada where fuel is available but nothing is listed under the “FBO” tab in foreflight. Checking the flight supplement would be wise, and calling ahead would be too.

Knowing where the OP is coming from and going to, it doesn’t look too hard to find fuel. As I alluded to earlier, going off the beaten path often requires you to carry extra fuel with you unless whatever can be carried in the fuel tanks is adequate. For this route, I’d expect one stop or maybe two to be sufficient.

Check NAV Canada and call in advance. What route are you looking at.

I've flown from the lower 48 to SE Alaska twice. The first time we landed at SEA TAC and overnighted. One stop in Canada Port Hardy, BC. Then customs in Ketchikan, AK and on to Juneau. 2 stops from Seattle to Juneau, AK.

The second time I stayed on the eastern side of the Rockies to Dawson Creek made a left turn to Prince Rupert. Customs again in Ketchikan, AK
then on to Juneau.
Our plan is to take the ALCAN highway on the way up and possibly do the coastal route on the way back so we can visit friends in Seattle.

One the way up we are looking at Regina International for port of entry and overnight stay. Then either Slave Lake or Josephburg (Edmonton) for a fuel stop.

Then Fort Nelson for an overnight stay, then Watson Lake for a fuel stop.

Then Whitehorse for an overnight stay and Haynes Junction for fuel.

Then PAOR port of entry (no fuel there) then Gulkana for overnight.

I think I have most of that right, but any of them are up for discussion as we find out more.

This is on almost every airport I checked. I sent an email to FF to ask if they even pretend to have Canadian information. (I do subscribe to both Canada and USA for Foreflight PRO PLUS).

I use FF as well, but never noticed that. Thanks for the point out.
I would trust the CFS.
And except for the recent disruption due to the refinery problem, I've never had a problem getting 100LL at any airport as far north as Fort St John. I don't have any direct experience beyond that point though.

Just a WAG, but there are numerous airports in Canada where fuel is available but nothing is listed under the “FBO” tab in foreflight. Checking the flight supplement would be wise, and calling ahead would be too.

Knowing where the OP is coming from and going to, it doesn’t look too hard to find fuel. As I alluded to earlier, going off the beaten path often requires you to carry extra fuel with you unless whatever can be carried in the fuel tanks is adequate. For this route, I’d expect one stop or maybe two to be sufficient.
That is our experience with foreflight. I am gathering airport contact telephone numbers and have already sent most of them emails.

Not sure what you meant by one or two stops. Daytona Beach Florida to Anchorage Alaska will require about 15 stops. The plane could do it in fewer stops, but it doesn't have a bathroom. I carry 80 gallons (74 usable at around 12 gph at 160kts (LOP).

Most small airports in Canada have self serve fuel using a credit card. Often managed by the local flying club.
FBOs in Canada are nothing like the USA. They tend to be concentrated at the International airports only. Even a major regional airport like Calgary Springbank (CYBW) there isn't really a proper FBO facility.

That is our experience with foreflight. I am gathering airport contact telephone numbers and have already sent most of them emails.

Not sure what you meant by one or two stops. Daytona Beach Florida to Anchorage Alaska will require about 15 stops. The plane could do it in fewer stops, but it doesn't have a bathroom. I carry 80 gallons (74 usable at around 12 gph at 160kts (LOP).

You’re asking about gas in Canada. You shouldn’t need more than one or two stops from the CONUS border to Alaska, at least for fuel.

My advice, learn to plan fuel carefully and be willing to depart with less than full tanks. When playing around up north you are going to want to have your fuel planned well, because you might have to stretch your legs a bit. But don’t push things too far either, because depending on where you go there is no weather radar in places and the observations can be few and far between.

I never go into a rural Canadian airport with self-serve fuel without enough fuel in my tanks to fly to an alternate. All it takes is a bad card reader at the pump and you may be stranded for a day or three. It's never happened to me, but like a Boy Scout better to "be prepared".

John: As you do your planning if you find you are having trouble getting reliable information for a specific location let me know on this thread or PM. I have a good network of aviation contacts in Alberta, Saskatchewan and NE B.C. Will do what I can to help with up to date info for you.

Last edited:
One the way up we are looking at Regina International for port of entry and overnight stay. Then either Slave Lake or Josephburg (Edmonton) for a fuel stop.

Then Fort Nelson for an overnight stay, then Watson Lake for a fuel stop.

Then Whitehorse for an overnight stay and Haynes Junction for fuel.
I did almost the same route headed the other way. Juneau, Whitehorse YT, Watson Lake YT, Fort Nelson BC, Grand Prairie AB, White Court AB, Lloydminster AB, Regina SK, Williston ND, Bismarck ND, Redwood Falls MN, Grays Lake IL.

I did enjoy my trip across Canada.. Saw a lot of beautiful country, met some nice folks...:)

Forgot to ask what type of plane?

I did almost the same route headed the other way. Juneau, Whitehorse YT, Watson Lake YT, Fort Nelson BC, Grand Prairie AB, White Court AB, Lloydminster AB, Regina SK, Williston ND, Bismarck ND, Redwood Falls MN, Grays Lake IL.

I did enjoy my trip across Canada.. Saw a lot of beautiful country, met some nice folks...:)

Forgot to ask what type of plane?
Bonanza, V35.

I never go into a rural Canadian airport with self-serve fuel without enough fuel in my tanks to fly to an alternate. All it takes is a bad card reader at the pump and you may be stranded for a day or three. It's never happened to me, but like a Boy Scout better to "be prepared".

John: As you do your planning if you find you are having trouble getting reliable information for a specific location let me know on this thread or PM. I have a good network of aviation contacts in Alberta, Saskatchewan and NE B.C. Will do what I can to help with up to date info for you.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
I agree with the advice about not landing at an airport with only SS fuel without enough to get you out again. Our plane can fly about 5 hours with 45 mins reserve, but neither of us care to do that. We try to plan 3 hr legs, +/- half hour so we should ususally have around 2.5 hours reserve.

If there is bad weather on your planned route, there is another highway, the Cassiar highway that goes up through Smithers, then Dease Lake, west of the Alcan, and meets the Alcan in Whitehorse. Take a look at that as an alternate. It can work just fine too.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
I agree with the advice about not landing at an airport with only SS fuel without enough to get you out again. Our plane can fly about 5 hours with 45 mins reserve, but neither of us care to do that. We try to plan 3 hr legs, +/- half hour so we should ususally have around 2.5 hours reserve.

I've been in to many of the airports mentioned in this thread, so happy to help if I can.
I have to admit I would love to find the time to make this trip some day. My "stretch goal" for this summer is to get to Yellowknife for an "overnight" during the solstice. :)

If there is bad weather, there is another highway, the Cassiar highway that goes up through Dease Lake, west of the Alcan, and meets the Alcan in Whitehorse. Take a look at that as an alternate.
Leslie was telling me about that yesterday. It is worth a look.

When I went through Canada to Alaska, I did not want any surprises regarding fuel availability or services precisely because information is scanty. Thats why I chose the international airports. Coming back on the reverse, I was more relaxed regarding options. But besides card readers not working at self serve( never happened to me),there may be other surprises. For example, the really nice SWAN AERO Fbo at Grand Prairie went out of his way to suggest cheaper fuel to the southeast. He suggested LLOYDMINSTER where I landed for the night, and Brandon, where I never landed at. So filling up at LLOYDMINSTER was a bit of a problem in that the self serve had a padlock on it. Good thing I was there for the night. It turned out a local FBO had to open it up and pump.

Another tip to decrease fuel cost, use an international credit card. These cards do not add extra fees for conversion of currency.

Last edited:
Back