Avemco

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I just got our club insurance policy renewed by Avemco.

As much as I hate the insurance industry, we've had good experience with Avemco. This was no exception.

We got our renewal notice in December, but I couldn't get the other club officers to give me the required paperwork until last week. (We updated our bylaws, and they weren't sure which copy was the previous "current" copy so they could update it properly. :eek:)

Avemco had sent us a notice of nonrenewal in January due to the missing paperwork, but they got everything quoted and ready overnight so that our policy (which was due to expire on 3/8) didn't lapse. Everyone I've ever dealt with there has been exceedingly helpful and friendly.

In today's customer service climate, there's a lot o' bitchin' to be done... I just wanted to pass along one of the few GOOD customer service experiences. :yes:

We tried to get Avemco to write a quote for a Cessna 150 that we wanted to use for flight instruction. They wouldn't do it. They said we needed a commercial policy, the club model wouldn't fit what we wanted to do. Too bad. We ended up with about $6,000/year with the only company that would take the policy. We're hoping for a much lower rate when our policy comes up for renewal next month!
________
iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:
We tried to get Avemco to write a quote for a Cessna 150 that we wanted to use for flight instruction. They wouldn't do it. They said we needed a commercial policy, the club model wouldn't fit what we wanted to do. Too bad. We ended up with about $6,000/year with the only company that would take the policy.

For comparison purposes, our club is a member-owned corporation that owns all of our airplanes. (Sounds like you're trying to do the FBO-as-a-club model.)

For two Archers and a 182 and 30 members, our policy now costs $10,566 for the year (up from $10,071 for the last two). We have absolutely no recurrency requirements above the FAA's and we're allowed to land at any airport including grass. We're also allowed to use any qualified CFI, not restricted to club CFI's.

Minimums for pilots: Archers require a solo student with at least 25 hours (we don't admit folks without at least that much to the club, was previously at least PP-ASEL). No matter who it is, we require a checkout (no minimum time requirement, just a CFI signoff).

The 182 requires either 10 hours in type or 100 TT and 5 in type, and a checkout. (And, obviously, a high-performance endorsement or HP time logged prior to 4-15-97, blah blah blah)

Love Avemco. Even if someone quotes a bit lower once I get my 100 hours in type etc. I will look hard at the deal before switching.

No Arctic Circle exclusion, no landing exclusions etc etc. Not many doing that for non-commercial policies up here.

One claim. no squawking. Get 'er fixed, here's the check.

Love 'em.

Back