Avare GPS Av App at free CMA AOPA Fly-In

JohnSBA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JohnSBA
My wife and I have volunteered to do an Avare booth (#68) at the free AOPA Fly-In at CMA (Camarillo, CA) this evening and tomorrow. Sadly, we have to drive rather than enjoy the spectacular flight from SBA, but at least the parking areas for cars (and for aircraft) are massive. You can add some sparkle to our day if you'd stop by and say hi.

We'll have some demo devices (including $10 ADS-B In) if you'd like to see the free open-source Avare app for Android in action. We're working on some brief Avare instructional videos you could preview, and I believe there's going to be a short unannounced air show on one or both days. We may have some giveaways today and/or tomorrow (Sat.) too. If you haven't been to CMA, we highly recommend it for the free air museum and exceptional cafe.

Hope to see you there.

Here are links for more info:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/april/pilot/aopa-fly-in-camarillo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ds.avare

Nice to see Avare getting some attention, too bad I'm on the other coast.

Out of curiosity hows does the "$10 ADBS IN " work? I use Avare for navigation and fly all over the country with it--but I had to buy a $200 Flightbox to get ADBS IN.

Out of curiosity hows does the "$10 ADBS IN " work? I use Avare for navigation and fly all over the country with it--but I had to buy a $200 Flightbox to get ADBS IN.
Yea, i'm wondering if he left out a '0'

It does work well but I was unable to find any OTG connector for any of my tablets or phones that would allow the SDR and tablet to have power. As Axtel said, there is too much drain on the tablet's battery, and on XCs, I like to have my tablet charging anytime I'm in flight so that if I loose electrical power, the tablet will be at 100%.

Good to know. I'll scratch it off my list.

I'll have to pull out my OTG cable and try it though a powered hub. However that added bulk and cabling kind of defeats the purpose.

For what is is worth, this is what I use for VFR all around the country and it stays powered all the time & never had had any problems with overheating: 5" Android LG phone running Avare with a Flightbox that communicates to the Avare using wireless & the Avare external plug-in which presents the metars & traffic. To power, a 2-usb 12v adaptor, the flightbox needs 2 A but the phone runs ok off of 1 A. The 5" screen seems big enough to me

Back