Avaition Urban Legend

corjulo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Corjulo
I alway thought this was an aviation urban legend, that no one could miss a control lock. Well, was I amazed when I learned that my own club's last plane was a victim to this.

ASF Accident Details
NTSB Number: NYC96LA129
Aircraft and Flight Information
Make/Model CESSNA / 172
Tail Number N1665Y
Airport BID
Light Conditions Day
Basic WX Conditions VMC
Phase of Flight Takeoff
AOPA Members can click on the airport identifier (if provided) to see the airport diagram and approach charts.

Narrative Type: NTSB FINAL NARRATIVE (6120.4)
The pilot conducted a preflight inspection, then began his planned departure. During the takeoff roll, the control wheel would not move aft, and the airplane continue off the departure end of the runway. During the runway overrun, the pilot attempted to select a path of minimum obstruction ahead. Subsequently, the airplane encountered brush and came to rest inverted. Postaccident examination of the airplane, revealed the control lock was installed. When questioned about the installed control lock, the pilot stated, 'that would explain it.'

Narrative Type: NTSB PRELIMINARY NARRATIVE (6120.19)
On June 23, 1996, about 1935 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 172C, N1665Y, was substantially damaged when it overran the runway and nosed over during takeoff at the Block Island State Airport, Block Island, Rhode Island. The private pilot and passenger were seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight destined for the Hartford-Brainard Airport, Hartford, Connecticut. No flight plan was filed for the flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

In a written statement submitted by the pilot, he stated:

"As a background, my wife. . .and I departed Hartford-Brainard Airport about [1330]. . .for Block Island. The aircraft was owned by The Civil Air Patrol Flying Association Inc. of which I am a member. The flight to Block Island was uneventful. . . .Sometime shortly after [1900], we returned to the airplane, completed the prefight, and taxied to the end of runway 28 for the runup. During the take-off roll, I only recall that: 1) at normal rotation speed, I noticed that the control wheel would not travel aft and I did not understand why it would not travel further; 2) as I approached the end of runway, I realized we would not clear and I attempted to select a path of minimum obstruction ahead of the aircraft. . . ."

Examination of the wreckage by a Federal Aviation Administration Inspector revealed no evidence of malfunctions, nor did the pilot report any. Also, the control lock was observed to be installed.

Following the wreckage examination, a telephone interview was conducted with the pilot. During the interview, the pilot was asked if he was aware that the control lock was found installed at the accident site. He stated that he had been aware of the finding and stated, "that would explain it."

According to the Cessna 172 Pilot Operating Handbook, for preflight inspection, it stated to remove the control lock.
Narrative Type: NTSB PROBABLE CAUSE NARRATIVE
the pilot's inadequate preflight, by failing to remove the control lock and checking the flight controls before takeoff, and his failure to abort the takeoff in a timely manner, which resulted in an overrun, an encounter with brush, and a subsequent nose over of the airplane.

This happens at least annually.

My personal favorite is the two drunk folks who decide to steal a Baron. They overrun the runway without taking off, having missed the fact that the elevator had been removed for maintenance.

Beyond legend, it is way too common. A search for 'control lock' in NTSB database yields 54 hits. I didn't check them all but 10 or so I spot check were on subject.

Eric

Ken Ibold said:
This happens at least annually.

My personal favorite is the two drunk folks who decide to steal a Baron. They overrun the runway without taking off, having missed the fact that the elevator had been removed for maintenance.

Alchohol doesn't mix well with very much, especially machinery. Yikes!

:drink: :blueplane: :no:

...Sometime shortly after [1900], we returned to the airplane, completed the prefight, and taxied to the end of runway 28 for the runup.

If he had completed the preflight, or the taxi checklist, or the runup checklist, he would have found the lock - I know it was on the preflight walkround list and the runup checklist in the 152 I flew :

Controls : Free and Correct

The NTSB probable cause is pretty much spot on really. I'm with you, I just can't see how you get that far into the takeoff without realizing something is up with the controls !

corjulo said:
I alway thought this was an aviation urban legend, that no one could miss a control lock. Well, was I amazed when I learned that my own club's last plane was a victim to this.

ASF Accident Details
NTSB Number: NYC96LA129
Aircraft and Flight Information
Make/Model CESSNA / 172
Tail Number N1665Y
Airport BID
Light Conditions Day
Basic WX Conditions VMC
Phase of Flight Takeoff

I remember that plane from my Brainard days, It was tan/brown if I recall correctly. Wonder if I knew the pilot.

Dave

SJP said:
If he had completed the preflight, or the taxi checklist, or the runup checklist, he would have found the lock - I know it was on the preflight walkround list and the runup checklist in the 152 I flew :

Controls : Free and Correct

The NTSB probable cause is pretty much spot on really. I'm with you, I just can't see how you get that far into the takeoff without realizing something is up with the controls !

I suppose it would be expecting too much from someone that messed up this badly already, but even if he managed to miss the locked control wheel during all of those checks, you'd think he would have aborted the takeoff (chop power, maximal braking etc) when the wheel wouldn't move as he attempted rotation. He was on a 2500 ft paved runway and should have been able to easily stop before running off the end. Instead his reaction was to "avoid obstacles" while apparently barrelling along.

A similar pre-flight miss, although not with the same consequences, occured at DXR when I was flying there. A plane took off towing two cement blocks still tied to the wings.

how the hell do you do this? there are no less than 9 separate times, maybe more, where you would check for freedom of controls before taking off. not brain surgery.

The sad part of this is it's lead to advisorys being posted on the gust lock. One bright fellow lost the gust lock and put a spike through the hole. Guess what he forgot to remove before takeoff. In the end, we all pay for this type of thing through more regulations, advisories, aircraft modifications, insurance premiums etc.

I've done a few things I'm not proud of, but this isn't one.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I too don't see how this happens other than people get in hurry and don't do a proper control travel check before or after the run up. I know someone that tried to take off in a Bonanza in Maine coming back to charlotte and left the lock in. In that bo, the lock was on the center console and is easier to miss. (throw over yoke)

Over ran the runway and totaled the just over hauled, interior refurbbed and upgraded avioncs plane. It was really sad. Pilot was ok.

The gust lock in the new 'hawks I fly has this metal piece that goes over the master switch. It is virtually impossible to turn on the master with the lock in place. It sure helps reduce stupidity. I need all the help with stupidity reduction that I can get. ;)

Jim G

Something to keep in mind if you ever find youself in a similar situation and find that the controls are frozen: don't forget you can fly the plane with the elevator trim.

Once I had an instructor offer to demonstrate a landing (with a flight in the traffic pattern) using only the rudder pedals and the trim wheel. He also required that we do manuvers where he locked the airleorn's / elevator and all I was able to use was the trim and rudders. It was an interesting lesson...

Something to keep in mind if you ever find youself in a similar situation and find that the controls are frozen: don't forget you can fly the plane with the elevator trim.

except the control works in reverse when the primary flight control is frozen in place... might be better to roll it into a ball and just stay on the ground in that case!

bstratt said:
A similar pre-flight miss, although not with the same consequences, occured at DXR when I was flying there. A plane took off towing two cement blocks still tied to the wings.
Kinda adds a whole new meaning to "wing loading", huh?

Let'sgoflying! said:
except the control works in reverse when the primary flight control is frozen in place... might be better to roll it into a ball and just stay on the ground in that case!
Excellent point. This post reminded me of that lesson. Perhaps he didn't have the elevator control locked - as the trim inputs I was using to climb/descent were normal...

Let'sgoflying! said:

So if the controls are locked then a forward trim setting would make it climb? Just wanted to make sure

corjulo said:

I remember learning that several decades ago an airliner (EAL Electra - I think) attempted the same thing with fatal results. In those aircraft (as with the Shorts 3-60 and ATR42/72) the contorl lock was a lever on the flight deck and we taxiied with the controls locked, releasing them before take off. Subsequent to the airline accident (and apparently because of it) they now require that the power lever movement be retarded with the lock engaged. We could taxi quickly, but not get nearly enough power to actually take off. In the ATR we also had a t/o configuration warning system which would check if the controls were still locked.

maximus said:
So if the controls are locked then a forward trim setting would make it climb? Just wanted to make sure
In a normal type light airplane with mechanical controls, yes. If you want to see why, lock the yoke, go back to the tail, and have someone spin the trim wheel at your command, and watch how the tab moves.

I understand the trim tab become a little elevator on a convention elevator or stabalator. Now I'm trying to picture how my Mooney would react to a locked elevator. And not quite seeing it. I think it would still reverse function. For those that don't know a Mooney's trim system is the entire empennage moves for trim.

Eric

ejensen said:
I understand the trim tab become a little elevator on a convention elevator or stabalator. Now I'm trying to picture how my Mooney would react to a locked elevator. And not quite seeing it. I think it would still reverse function. For those that don't know a Mooney's trim system is the entire empennage moves for trim.
Eric

which way does the leading edge of the hstab move when you roll in noseup trim, Eric? I would guess 'down'?

Sounds like the controls weren't the only thing that froze that day - so did the pilot. Even if I hadn't done a complete flight control check, I can't imagine getting that far without noticing that the yoke wouldn't move *at all* - but if I did, I hope my first response would be to cut the power and apply heavy braking. But going so far as to approach the end of the runway... trying to "select a path of minimum obstruction" - I don't get this one, other than if the pilot just plain froze.

Liz

I can't imagine how someone could take off without operational controls. There are only three things that scare me in the air. Number one is not being able to control the plane. You wouldn't believe how many times I check "free and correct" before takeoff.

One NTSB accident report caused me great consternation and I remember it caused me to delay initiating instruction for my PPL while I thought real hard about what I was about to get into.

An ATP rated Part 121 capt with over 12,000 TT departed in his, I think, Mooney for a downwind departure. He heard a 'tink, tink, tink' on the a/c skin somewhere but couldn't figure it out so he continued his departure. As he rolled in to the turn the sound become more pronounced and then stopped. He tried to roll wings level but aileron would not respond. He spiraled in.

It turns out he was making a multi leg personal flight. The accident ocurred after a fuel stop where he ducked inside the cafe for a quick bite as they fueled his a/c. The sound he heard was the fuel cap rattling in the slip stream at the end of it's chain. The cap lodged in the aileron when it broke its chain and when he was in the bank. The linemen reported that the pilot just jumped into the a/c without so much as a quick walk around the a/c before departing.

He lived long enough to make his report to the investigators and succumbed to burns from the crash fire several days later.

He made so many mistakes and the accident chain was so long I could not help feel, if him, why not me?

ejensen said:

Eric

The Mooney moves the entire tail so as to remove the need for the elevator. IOW, the horizontal stab moves as if it were the elevator, so in the case of a Mooney with frozen elevator one would trim as normal.

With respect to Dave T.'s subsequent question, yes, nose "up" trim lowers the horizontal stab's leading edge and raises the trailing edge.

maximus said:

It depends on the airplane. Some have a bungee trim system (applies a force to the control surface) which will have no effect on the attitude, others like a Mooney move the whole horizontal stabilizer and in that case the trim would work in the normal direction.

Richard said:
One NTSB accident report caused me great consternation and I remember it caused me to delay initiating instruction for my PPL while I thought real hard about what I was about to get into.

An ATP rated Part 121 capt with over 12,000 TT departed in his, I think, Mooney for a downwind departure. He heard a 'tink, tink, tink' on the a/c skin somewhere but couldn't figure it out so he continued his departure. As he rolled in to the turn the sound become more pronounced and then stopped. He tried to roll wings level but aileron would not respond. He spiraled in.

It turns out he was making a multi leg personal flight. The accident ocurred after a fuel stop where he ducked inside the cafe for a quick bite as they fueled his a/c. The sound he heard was the fuel cap rattling in the slip stream at the end of it's chain. The cap lodged in the aileron when it broke its chain and when he was in the bank. The linemen reported that the pilot just jumped into the a/c without so much as a quick walk around the a/c before departing.

He lived long enough to make his report to the investigators and succumbed to burns from the crash fire several days later.

He made so many mistakes and the accident chain was so long I could not help feel, if him, why not me?

It could be you, or me, or anyone, if choose we go flying away in a piece of machinery without checking the stuff we're supposed to check...

woodstock said:
how the hell do you do this?

No clue.

Just IMO, but I highly suspect these are the same average people that jump into their cars and blast off at 80mph down the ice coated city streets and treat their planes the same exact way. NO comprehension of what they're actually doing. The same mentality is probably responsible for a whopping majority of the TFR/ADIZ flack we all keep getting.

grattonja said:
The gust lock in the new 'hawks I fly has this metal piece that goes over the master switch. It is virtually impossible to turn on the master with the lock in place. It sure helps reduce stupidity. I need all the help with stupidity reduction that I can get. ;)

Jim G
I have the same thing on my 1971 "L" model C-172.
Not a new featureB)

Keith Lane said:
Not a new featureB)

Yeah, it makes it more difficult, but I bet I could still hit the master if I was really obsessed with being stupid. Thats how the planes I fly are.

lancefisher said:
It depends on the airplane.

True; I was responding to Mike who said he flies a 172.
My own is a flying trim tab and would respond like the Mooney I believe.
The experience Mike had with the instructor would be a simulated broken cable, not a locked control surface. Using the trim results in control surface movement.
I brought the Citation down short final that way once (under pro supervision), using just the electric trim and gentle rudder inputs and was doing quite well but lost my nerve at 300'.

Let'sgoflying! said:
The experience Mike had with the instructor would be a simulated broken cable, not a locked control surface. Using the trim results in control surface movement.
Ahh, yes, that was it exactly! Apparently the brain cells don't work as good as they used too..

Keith Lane said:
Not a new featureB)

Beech was actually trying to get an AD for Bonanzas and Barons that required a new control lock and a new hole drilled in the control column that would keep the wheel well forward and rotated way left. They (correctly IMO) figured that anyone stupid enough to attempt a takeoff with the wheel locked in that position was either brain dead or deserved to be.

Fortunately someone (ABS or AOPA or both) convinced the FAA that this couldn't be a safety of flight issue and thus didn't qualify for an AD.

Back