AV30 AOA

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hey guys,

I recently installed a certified AV30 in my 182. I'm pretty happy with the instrument so far, I'm wondering how many others have had the opportunity to monkey with the AOA feature, and what your thoughts on the feature are? I've followed the instructions and played with it a bit with a couple of test flights, a little tuning left to get done.

What I find interesting is that the thing starts barking essentially at the same time the horn goes off every time. I realize that should be the obvious outcome, but I'm wondering if this sort of thing actually adds value? I realize AOA is a provocative topic, I'm more interested in discussing this as it relates specifically to the AV30.

Thanks

I dont buy their probeless AOA idea. while stall horn would indicate the impending stall, AOA will show the actual L/D max (how much play you have inside the stall horn barking envelop) and how much lift you have remaining. ideally, you will need 2 probes under each wing to get the most value out of it.

I just put one in and have monkied with the AOA a bit. It seems to work once you get a handle on how the trim settings affect it. As for "buying their probeless AOA idea" it's not really their idea, it's based on an old Sperry patent that's been around and used for years so the science is every bit as sound as a differential pressure probe. It's nice to be able to calibrate it by setting the trims in the cockpit during flight. If I were to lodge any complaints about the AV30 it would be that the DG function is unstable. There has been a lot written about this and there has been a software upgrade available for the AV30E that supposedly fixes it but not yet released for the AV30C.

How about you C_Parker - do you have any heading drift issues?

I'm still playing with the AOA feature, I'm still not sold on its value at this point. I do have quick precession and I'm waiting for the software update. I also have some noise that's been introduced into the audio circuit from the AV-30, currently working through that as well.

I found the terminals provided in the kit did not crimp well onto the grounding strap and pulled out so I ended up soldering them. The installation manual calls for shielded wire on all lines terminated to the connector backshell which is then bonded to the airframe with the strap so check that. Should be 2.5 milliohms or less.

As for the value of an AOA function I tend to agree with you that it's a provocative subject with almost cult-like status. I put this in my 7EC Champion which has never had any sort of stall warning and seems to have done fine without it for the past sixty years so I was interested in seeing how it would work. I wouldn't exactly call it a game changer.

Well I just finished the install of two AV30C's in my Cessna Hawk XP and I have some thoughts on it's function too. A real benefit was the complete removal of the engine driven and stand-by vacuum systems. Saved about 10 pounds there and cleaned up the engine compartment and under the panel as well.

On the AOA function, well I have never done so many stalls or near stalls in my entire flying career as I we did trying to get this thing to function properly. To be fair, the book has extremely specific instructions for the conditions to be flown and it wasn't a real smooth day to fly when we did this but after 30 minutes or more working with settings we walked away with "we have to do it again" as it's totally unreliable. I'm not saying the instrument is bad as we didn't fly exactly the the way the book was instructing and then trying to figure out weather to add numbers into the AOA "trim" or subtract was an issue also. I have owned and flown this airplane for over 40 years and almost never "made the baby cry" but I like the idea of the AOA feature and would like to say it's reliable. But I'll just have to get the airplane up again and work on these settings..

Now on instrument precession. We successfully accomplished the four 360's and calibrated the internal magnatometers in each instrument. Now the instruments are both using the "MAG 1" setting. The DG has very little to no precession at all but the AI and the GPS Track ribbon will process 10 degrees in 10 minutes. Not acceptable at all. These instruments have the latest software in them too from the factory. So for now the DG/GPS track ribbon is turned off and eliminated from the AI.

One other minor issue that has been discussed in other forums and turns out to be fact that older Garmin GPS's don't want to play well in new arena's. I have a Garmin GPS 150 and a GPS 150XL that function perfectly and they send good serial data to the AV30's except they won't send the "WPT" or way point name to these new instruments. Everything else such as ETA, TRK, BRG information are all good but no way point name. So I just eleminate that field on the display. Top GPS drives the top (AI) AV30 and the bottom GPS drives the bottom (DG) AV30.

All in all these are fabulous instruments and a great upgrade for the price to get a true EFIS in the panel without panel modifications. I'm very satisfied and I'm sure I'll like them more with the more time I fly behind them.

Hope this information is of some value here.

Lisa

Bottom line for me after the first flight is they will take a few hours to fly behind to really get used to all they have to display.

As for "buying their probeless AOA idea" it's not really their idea, it's based on an old Sperry patent that's been around and used for years so the science is every bit as sound as a differential pressure probe.
I'm not sure why 8 pressure taps is any more or less 'probeless' than a single extra pressure tap on a pitot tube like Garmin (IIRC) and Dynon use.

The Sperry patent is sound, I agree, but the explanation uAvionixs gives for it in their FAQ leads me to question their implementation. Their explanation is only valid in wings-level balanced flight, while the patent description is valid for all attitudes, sensor accuracy notwithstanding.

Nauga,
and a Kalman filter

I just put one in and have monkied with the AOA a bit. It seems to work once you get a handle on how the trim settings affect it. As for "buying their probeless AOA idea" it's not really their idea, it's based on an old Sperry patent that's been around and used for years so the science is every bit as sound as a differential pressure probe. It's nice to be able to calibrate it by setting the trims in the cockpit during flight. If I were to lodge any complaints about the AV30 it would be that the DG function is unstable. There has been a lot written about this and there has been a software upgrade available for the AV30E that supposedly fixes it but not yet released for the AV30C.

How about you C_Parker - do you have any heading drift issues?
The software update is out, we just can’t activate the magnetometer yet. An external magnetometer is on the way, that should help a ton. That’s how they should’ve designed it to begin with.

Back