Av Confession

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I must confess. This has haunted me every since it happened.

After the Advanced Pilot Seminar in ADA, OK this last Jan wrapped up we were on the ramp making ready for our departure. A lot of departures but I noticed one of the last departures was a Beech (coulda been a Deb, thought it was a Bo) trailing smoke. Even before I knew what I was seeing I yelled, "Smoke!" to anyone on the ramp. We all stood there watching this guy on upwind to downwind departure. Then, I realized someone should make the call. He was off CTAF by the time I reached the radio and center was garbled on the handheld. Frantically searching through the AF/D for the landline number the Bo was already gone...long gone. Some said he turned to the north, some said he continued south west. I did transmit in the blind on CTAF but I don't think anyone passed it on.

Anyway, I sure hope he made it. Now I'm wondering, was this the guy? It has a very similar paint scheme.

Also, you're standing on a partially deserted ramp late Sunday aftn, all facilities locked up, no cell coverage, he continues on course, what would you have done?

Richard;

I had a similar situation when I was fueling up at a self help fuel island at KGON. There were about 5 of us waiting in line and a A36 took off streaming fuel out of the right tank. Fortunately the airport has a tower. Many of us got on Ground Control to get the tower controller to tell the pilot. The out come. The A36 flew a tight pattern and landed fine. The pilot had that sheepish look as he got out of the plane but we all told him that it can happen to anyone. He was very grateful.

To answer your question I would get into air weather permitting. Stay over the airport. Call Center for Radar coverage. Give them the type, color, N number if possible,time of take off and direction of flight.

If the weather is poor for VFR flight I would see about getting to an land line to get help.

Your question is a good one for it makes us realize we could be in that same situation some day.

John J

In addition to John's ideas, I might also suggest trying a call on 121.5, which a lot of GA pilots now monitor on their #2 comm radio in this age of TFR's.

Last edited:
Back