AV-30-C vs regular vacuum DG

Hey, my vacuum system failed a few weeks ago so I’ve been doing all my hood training partial panel. I’m for sure going with dual AV-30s and an av-20 for the right seat and ripping out the vacuum system. Got quoted $3500 for install, is that reasonable?
That seems a bit high, but prices vary regionally so maybe it's reasonable for your area?

Spencer at KPLU did mine the same thing for me 1 year ago. Make sure to include the temperature probe (Davtron C307PS). Total cost (parts, labor, tax, etc.) was $6.1k. The AV-30 units were $2k each back then. As for the labor... Their quote included 2.5 hours to remove the vac system and 8 hours for the installation. Total labor about $1300. That didn't include the external magnetometer, which I'll add soon (already have a new one in a box). But that's probably only going to be a couple of hours.

Adding a magnetometer might be more than you think. Have to fabricate a new D sub harness with 3 conductor shielded cable, mount the sensor, fish the cable, flash new firmware, and calibrate the sensor. I can see that taking most of a day, especially if the AV-30 harnesses were not prepared in advance for flashing.

BTW, the AV-30C does have a built-in internal magnetometer (early units didn't but mine does, and it's a year old). Problem is, it's built into the unit, which puts it in the panel, which has plenty of electromagnetic fields from radios & such. That's why external ones are installed out in the wing. I've enabled and calibrated mine to try it, and it doesn't work any better (nor any worse). But this is airplane-specific so it may be worth trying before spending the money on the external one.

I was just watching the uAvionix update video for software version 2.4.1. They added a feature to trim the low and high airspeed for a more accurate reading.
Link: Check Out Version 2.4.1

They show the feature at about 8 minutes in the video

To their credit, uAvionix is always improving/updating the firmware. In my 172 the speed/AoA difference between slow and fast cruise is not enough to need separate trim settings. I have the pitch trim set so that the AI reads dead center at normal cruise speed (about 120 kts).

but the AV-30s are capable when they're working properly and its limitations understood.
If you have to write that it says everything. These are instruments that literally mean life or death. I would spend an extra $3000 and upgrade to the Garmin.

I’ve flown AV-30 without the magnetometer, and the precession was terrible. Nice UI tho.

Initial test flights with my restored Decathlon show the AV-30C performs fine in AHI mode. Once I finish engine break-in and start flying acro, I'll post some videos of how long it holds orientation during extreme attitudes, and how long it takes to recover.

I did 2 consecutive reverse cuban 8's today (four halfs) and the AV-30 held orientation in AHI mode throughout.

OK that explains it. I'm looking at the experimental unit but I'm gonna add the magnetometer if/when I do.

I'm sure you know that there is a Wi-Fi connector available so that it's easier to do updates (listed as only allowed for experimental installs):

I just updated my firmware yesterday. I wasn't difficult.

15 pin solderless connector" has screws to tighten wires, and snaps together.

9 pin side:

9-pin to USB: (the one recommended by uAvionix)

Power supply (or just use a 12v battery)

Just follow the instructions for pin numbers from video on uAvionix's website. Very clear and easy to follow.

1703731145042.png

I think my unit was 2.1.x before I updated. Version 2.3.9 has a lot of interesting updates. There are a lot more trim settings.

I just updated my firmware yesterday. I wasn't difficult.

15 pin solderless connector" has screws to tighten wires, and snaps together.

9 pin side:

9-pin to USB: (the one recommended by uAvionix)

Power supply (or just use a 12v battery)

Just follow the instructions for pin numbers from video on uAvionix's website. Very clear and easy to follow.

I think my unit was 2.1.x before I updated. Version 2.3.9 has a lot of interesting updates. There are a lot more trim settings.

I was going to modify my installed harness with a permanently installed 9 pin dsub so that I could do future updates without removing the unit from the aircraft. Seems like uAvionix has a habit of frequent version updates. But maybe going this route and doing a bench harness is quicker and easier. I will probably just use crimped pin dsubs.

I recalibrated my AV-30c this weekend. The new software update 2.3.9 has a lot of new settings. I took the time to calibrate everything, not just the new stuff.

Now when I do a 180 degree turn, the internal magnetometer holds within 2 degrees of actual. Not bad. Being that there was a crosswind, it's difficult to say if the 2 degrees is real or not. It might actually be spot-on. I'm sure the external magnetometer is even better. I haven't installed mine yet. Just getting it prepared now.

* Adjusted the altitude on the low side but haven't done it on the high side. Still, it holds better now than previously.

* Recalibrated the pitot/static zeroing. The updated installation manual says that the pitot/static and the vibration calibration drifts as well and it should be periodically redone.
* Adjusted the slip trim.
* Adjusted the OAT. Apparently the OAT can drift over time, so it should be checked for accuracy occasionally.

I'm looking forward to the high/low airspeed trim in software version 2.4.x. If I calibrate at 95 IAS (my best climb speed) I'm off by about 3 knots at 150 IAS as compared to my analog indicator. It's only 2% difference so not too bad.

.. note that if your airplane does only 115 IAS you probably won't notice any difference with the high/low airspeed trim. I only noticed the difference starting above 110 IAS.

I recalibrated my AV-30c this weekend. The new software update 2.3.9 has a lot of new settings. I took the time to calibrate everything, not just the new stuff.

Now when I do a 180 degree turn, the internal magnetometer holds within 2 degrees of actual. Not bad. ...
I did the same with mine after first installed just over a year ago. Went through the menus and calibrated everything. This reduced drift to a manageable level, about the same as a mechanical gyro. But it still has one fatal flaw: temperature sensitivity. If you fly into temperatures significantly colder than when you started the engine (for example taking off at sea level then climbing above 10,000'), the AV-30 drifts like crazy to the point of being unusable. I haven't found any fix for that, reported it to uAvionix who says it's "normal". So I bought the magnetometer and will get it installed at the soonest availability for my local shop.

Finally got around to updating firmware so it recognizes my AV Mag. Updated to 2.4.1. No drift on test flight.

I wound up doing an update harness to fit between the instrument and aircraft harness, per the diagram on the last page of the most recent install instructions.

IMG_20240206_195125.jpg

Finally got around to updating firmware so it recognizes my AV Mag. Updated to 2.4.1. No drift on test flight.

I wound up doing an update harness to fit between the instrument and aircraft harness, per the diagram on the last page of the most recent install instructions.

View attachment 125150

Is this harness permanently installed in the plane? We need to make our own and I'm curious if we need to get the most flexible guy in the club (me) to contort to get under the panel every time a new update rolls out.

Is this harness permanently installed in the plane? We need to make our own and I'm curious if we need to get the most flexible guy in the club (me) to contort to get under the panel every time a new update rolls out.

Mine is removable. It fits in between the instrument and the aircraft harness. Access is easy for me.
PXL_20240204_192802319.jpg
But you could fabricate an aircraft harness with a DB9 update connector built in, and just connect the USB adapter when necessary.

If you have to write that it says everything. These are instruments that literally mean life or death. I would spend an extra $3000 and upgrade to the Garmin.

I’ve flown AV-30 without the magnetometer, and the precession was terrible. Nice UI tho.

Good luck with Garmin. :confused:

I concur with the AV-30/AV-MAG experience some have. The one set as DG was terrible before the AV-MAG came out (with version 2.3.9). Precession went away but the AV-30s would keep indicating NOMAG often and was pretty frustrating. With firmware 2.4.1, the NOMAG indication has completely resolved and the DG works great. I see today the AV-HSI has been approved for experimental aircraft. Super excited for the STC version to come out by the end of this year! :)
PA-28-180 (1972)

Attachments

• AV30Install.jpg
    AV30Install.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Back