Aux Fuel Pump Issues in a C-182T

Marsh_R

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marsh_R
Hello,

I purchased a 2001 Cessna 182 6 months ago. I got my license 5 months ago, so I'm still just a pup, thus I would appreciate some input from other members if they have experience with my issue:

Ever since I bought the plane (which passed a pre-buy) I have noticed sporadic readings on the Fuel Flow Indicator when I turn the Aux. Pump on to prime the engine prior to ignition. Sometimes the indicator shows fuel flow as I enrichen the mixture, sometimes not, but the plane has always fired right up until recently. Now, I rarely if ever see positive fuel flow, and it takes forever for the engine to start as I chant voodoo trying to find the right combo of throttle and mixture to get it rolling. My mechanic is going to take a look at the plane today.

Are Aux. Fuel pumps prone to failure at a certain time interval ie. water pumps on cars, and what is a fair price to have one replaced?

Thanks

Boost pumps are not failure prone. At wide open throttle and full rich the boost pump will not flow a lot of fuel as there is no air going through the fuel injector. If you need to start with limited prime cranking wide open and rich will usually flow enough fuel to start. You do need to get it checked and repaired, It sounds like if the engine driven pump failed you would lose power. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

I was confused some when I first got my 182T. From experience, I learned that the throttle must be open some before fuel will flow. I had found myself trying to prime with it closed. It just did not work well until I opened the throttle first.

Thanks for the responses. I just got off the phone with my mechanic: It's a bad unit, $1,500 for a new one and $750 for reman. Ouch.

Back