Autopilot repair guidance sought -- Chelton AP-3C

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone have any resources to aid us in minor repairs of a Chelton AP-3C autopilot. Do you know of someone who knows someone?

Our club has exahusted our ideas. We have called STEC (who purchased the assets many years ago) and those that spoke with our group didn't know of any employees that knew the system, nor could the produce any service mauals.

We have called Autopilots Central in Tulsa who said they didn't have resources to help us.

We asked TechAero here at Denton (our main avionics support shop) for help. Trevor checked his resources but was unable to come up with anything that will aid in showing him how to help us.

Two items need attention:

1. The ALT HOLD is too "twitchy". Manually, the aircraft will trim out very well and not need that much trim change once you have it dialed in. ALT HOLD will be have some of the time, but on others, will start with a +/- 15 foot oscillation, and eventually chase to a +/- 75 foot oscillation.
  2. Tracking an approach inbound, coupled to Roll Steering Mode (RST indication) for RNAV and ILS approaches, puts us 2 dots (edge of bullseye + 1 dot) to the right of centerline as shown on the CDI. If there is a taxiway on that side of the runway, it will appear you're lined up with the taxiway. I've flown with an instructor to the missed approach point and there is time to regain centerline. But not something I want to do/see single pilot and minimums.

Our hope is we can find a repair station or individual that has knowledge of this unit and can aid in repair. And we hope it's just a small tweak.

We are not interested in replacement as the system works fine for enroute and up to the final approach.

http://sarasotaavionics.com/images/productimages/AP3C.jpg

Back